Page 2 of 129 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Just a note: Beretta makes adjustable sights for them. A quick check on Brownells shows adjustable sights and multiple types of night sights. A fiber optic sight option would be good.
    Dawson already makes a fiber front for the 92 dovetailed slides. Just need more front options as well as PX4 front options as well as rears for all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For those of us who like the ubiquity and ease of service that Glock provides but want a hammer-fired pistol, the PX4 family might be a great alternative. One of the pluses about the Glock is how one can use G17 magazines in G19 and G26 pistols. It allows one to carry a larger reload for a small, concealed pistol. Do the PX4 full-size magazines work in the Compact?

The other issue is making the PX4 family as ubiquitous as Glock in local stores. I am not sure how Beretta does that, but I can find Glock magazines, sights, and holsters at any gun store; Beretta guns, of any flavor, not so much.
    I think the ubiquity starts with trainers and LE. That's how Glock did it and they weren't exactly the most popular in the beginning. Get more trainers and LE using your stuff and people take notice and want to copy that. The more copiers, the more proliferation. The more proliferation, the more the market sees the need to adapt to that change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two national level trainers that I'm aware of that advocate, prefer and use a TDA gun in their training classes. Mr. Langdon and Mike Pannone (CZ). Virtually every other well-known firearms trainer uses some type of striker fired gun, the overwhelming majority being Glock. When I took my first DeFoor pistol class two years ago, I was the *only* shooter in the entire class not running a Glock. I ran my Brig Tac. As much as I want it to, I don't think we'll see the arrow swing back towards TDA guns on a mainstream level. Just look at all the latest striker fired polymer entrants we've had in the last few months. The APX, P10C, FN 509...the market is flooded with manufacturers offering "their" ideal version of a striker fired gun. The market clearly wants striker fired guns. Enthusiasts are the ones driving the sale of TDA and other hammer guns (1911/2011s).

I was a "Glock guy" when I first started seriously shooting. Shot them for 2-3 years before I got motivated to try DA/SA because of what I read on this forum. I still own a few Glocks and I will reach for them in *very* specific situations, but for day to day use I'm now officially a "TDA guy." Its taken me about a year or so and LOTS of $ spent trying different TDA guns to find the ones that meshed with my preferences, but I've finally settled on Beretta for 95% of my defensive and competitive shooting needs. I don't have near the shooting ability or experience that Mr. Langdon has (and I probably never will), but I've become a huge fan of the PX4 series over the past few months. My PX4 CC is my go-to carry gun, and I'm going to start using my full size PX4 in some classes and in some matches. If you haven't tried one and you're a fan of TDA guns, you're doing yourself a disservice.

*To clarify, I will reach for my G17 or G21 in very unique circumstances: when hunting (primarily waterfowl), or when going on multi-day hiking trips. The only reason I don't choose Beretta in those circumstances is because they are more difficult to detail strip if I were to fall in the marsh/swamp and top my waders & gun (happens more than you think), and the same applies on multi-day hiking trips where I cannot provide armorer-level maintenance to my Berettas while in the field. Contrast that with a Glock, which I can detail strip with a rock and a nail, clean and re-assemble in under 5 minutes. While I have no doubt my Berettas would continue to work in those environments, I don't feel like carrying around punches and an armorers mat/manual in my hiking or hunting packs. Mission drives the gear and all that...
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-20-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Mr. Langdon, I have enjoyed your thoughts and writings on the DA/SA pistol, as well as your thoughts as they emerged in the PX4 compact. I also started out in handguns as a Beretta fan. I bought my first semi-auto when I turned 21 and it was a 92FS back in 1992. I joined the Navy a year later and became a Hospital Corpsman, when the M9 was very likely to be my only firearm, unless I could get a shotgun issued. Lots of old salts complained about the M9 and the loss of the 1911. I shot a few fleet matches with the M9 and actually surprised a few 1911 shooters. I did eventually switch to a 1911 for Service matches, then operationally I hadn't been able to compete regularly.

As I got more serious about concealed carry I needed something lighter, thinner, and more compact and picked up a police trade in Glock and stuck to it for the last decade and a half. Glock hasn't let me down. It's a hard platform to argue against. The Px4 always looked kind of chunky to me. Since my first pistol was a all metal Italian pistol with more eye appeal it was hard for me to even get past the aesthetics. The rotating barrel was not something that had earned any confidence yet from me either.

I had been strongly considering getting into a polymer compact DA/SA pistol again, and initially was looking at the CZ-P07, and a trip to a gun shop found one and next to it in the case was a Px4 compact and a used Walther P99 AS. With the Compact version coming to market a few years ago I decided to look into the Beretta again a bit more. I found your articles and opinions on this little pistol to feed my curiosity a bit more. I appreciated the thoughtful additions and modifications. I thought it would be nice to have another Beretta in the stable. So, I picked up a compact Storm last month when I found out about the $75 rebate.

My first outing was a disappointment I couldn't get through a mag of ammo without at least 4-5 failures to go into battery with tow pretty proven factory loads, that have run fine in my Glocks, S&W, Sig, CZ, and the trusty 92FS. I was beginning to think I should have jumped on the Walther or CZ. But I'm not usually eager to give up on a first outing. I got home and cycled some dummy rounds and seemed to identify additional friction at the extractor and breech face. I found a small linear burr on the lower edge of the extractor, which seemed to explain the additional drag. I carefully stoned and polished away the burr, and the pistol has run like a top for over 600 rounds now, to include the same ammo it was previously having problems with. My faith in the little Storm is restored. I already have some parts on order to slowly change move my compact into a compact carry with some of my own personal preferences onboard. I will also now begin running defensive ammo through it to find what it prefers. Once I have established reliability, and made the controls second nature again, I should have my custom touches done and be ready to put it into my carry rotation.

Now I will be very interested in seeing the direction of your full size project.

full size mags will fit into compacts, they stick out a bit as they are longer, but they do function perfectly. the reverse is not true, compact mags do not fit into full size frames, as they are too short.

i carry my full size with 17+1, and a spare 20 round reload for a total of 38 rounds. works for me.

in the other thread, Ernest has experimented with adding the +3 extension to the 15 round compact mags for a 17 round capacity.

i like the full size overall. longer barrel for my HP loads and longer sight radius and slightly longer grip for my large hands.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For those of us who like the ubiquity and ease of service that Glock provides but want a hammer-fired pistol, the PX4 family might be a great alternative. One of the pluses about the Glock is how one can use G17 magazines in G19 and G26 pistols. It allows one to carry a larger reload for a small, concealed pistol. Do the PX4 full-size magazines work in the Compact?

The other issue is making the PX4 family as ubiquitous as Glock in local stores. I am not sure how Beretta does that, but I can find Glock magazines, sights, and holsters at any gun store; Beretta guns, of any flavor, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two national level trainers that I'm aware of that advocate, prefer and use a TDA gun in their training classes. Mr. Langdon and Mike Pannone (CZ). Virtually every other well-known firearms trainer uses some type of striker fired gun, the overwhelming majority being Glock. When I took my first DeFoor pistol class two years ago, I was the *only* shooter in the entire class not running a Glock. I ran my Brig Tac. As much as I want it to, I don't think we'll see the arrow swing back towards TDA guns on a mainstream level. Just look at all the latest striker fired polymer entrants we've had in the last few months. The APX, P10C, FN 509...the market is flooded with manufacturers offering "their" ideal version of a striker fired gun. The market clearly wants striker fired guns. Enthusiasts are the ones driving the sale of TDA and other hammer guns (1911/2011s).
    100% agree on all of this. Sometimes, I do think about using my Glock 19 instead of my PX4 CC for carry since it is a bit more comfortable to carry but I have this emotional attatchment to DA/SA as much as I hate to admit but regardless, use DA/SA because of its benefits.

Don't tell anyone but I secretly like shooting DA/SA guns past people's expectations and even outshooting people with striker fired guns. Not saying I'm this exceptional of a shooter but it's one of the little things I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Don't tell anyone but I secretly like shooting DA/SA guns past people's expectations and even outshooting people with striker fired guns. Not saying I'm this exceptional of a shooter but it's one of the little things I enjoy.
    I get a chubby when I'm able to do this as well. You're not alone
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I get a chubby when I'm able to do this as well. You're not alone
    "You can't shoot that gun for shit!"

Lands the DA hit on the B8 at 25 yards

Name:  1492034198939.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  51.3 KB

Can you put a full size slide on a compact frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troydobe View Post
    Can you put a full size slide on a compact frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think the dust cover on the compact frame would fully cover the recoil spring of the full size slide asssembly.

User Tag List