Page 102 of 129 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1290

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

HST

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Good to know! I have not had a problem (yet) with the 11#, but I also have not run a wide variety of ammunition through the PX4s compared to the good old days.

For all the blind leads I went down with my pet subcompact and the compacts that came and went, there really isn't all that much that needs to be changed out or modified for me to be happy with them. (Except for the fact that the compact's grip does nothing for my hand. That being said, just because a pistol "feels right" it doesn't necessarily work out well in the long run... in fact, it generally doesn't.)
    One way to cover for yourself defensively is to use Federal Premium ammunition for defensive purposes. We have had great success with HSTs.

Federal Premium has a reputation for easily ignited primers.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I would suggest a Beretta D spring or an LTT 12# spring if you're going to be using a pistol for defensive purposes. I have received quite a few reports of light strikes with the 11# spring and in a couple of cases have had light strikes in our pistols with the 11# spring.
    I still have all the low-mileage 12# springs I was using before replacing them with the 11# springs, so it is truly "cheap insurance" to go back to them.

Once again, I get to lament that "It wasn't broke and I shouldn't have fixed it!"
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Once again, I get to lament that "It wasn't broke and I shouldn't have fixed it!"
    Ah yes, the song of my people…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Accessorizing

I still have all the low-mileage 12# springs I was using before replacing them with the 11# springs, so it is truly "cheap insurance" to go back to them.

I have always held the position that the best accessory to a PX4 Storm is a bunch of practice ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I have always held the position that the best accessory to a PX4 Storm is a bunch of practice ammo.
    I'd go with lube but now we're splitting hairs

Accessory or necessity?

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    I'd go with lube but now we're splitting hairs
    You make a good point!

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    One of the things I have never been able to quantify is if there is any accuracy difference between the compact and full size versions of the PX4. The subcompacts took me a good deal of time and effort to finally shoot as well as I wanted by comparison, but the two larger siblings have been variable enough for me that I really can't claim one shades the other.

Part of this ambiguity may be due to increasing vision issues as I age- I am one of those people who have found that moving the front sight back a bit via shorter barrel and/or slide has made sight acquisition easier (not a new idea, as Julian Hatcher wrote of it 70 years ago). I bring this up because despite the edge someone with good eyes has with a longer sight radius, I actually shoot a shorter pistol just as well... or at least with less eye strain.

(At least past a certain point, after which it becomes more like using a shotgun bead.)

Maybe someone with high round counts - and better eyes - could offer some observations about any notable differences in mechanical accuracy between the compact and the full size.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Accuracy

One of the things I have never been able to quantify is if there is any accuracy difference between the compact and full size versions of the PX4. The subcompacts took me a good deal of time and effort to finally shoot as well as I wanted by comparison, but the two larger siblings have been variable enough for me that I really can't claim one shades the other.

Part of this ambiguity may be due to increasing vision issues as I age- I am one of those people who have found that moving the front sight back a bit via shorter barrel and/or slide has made sight acquisition easier (not a new idea, as Julian Hatcher wrote of it 70 years ago). I bring this up because despite the edge someone with good eyes has with a longer sight radius, I actually shoot a shorter pistol just as well... or at least with less eye strain.

(At least past a certain point, after which it becomes more like using a shotgun bead.)

Maybe someone with high round counts - and better eyes - could offer some observations about any notable differences in mechanical accuracy between the compact and the full size.
    Although the amount of differences that are due to the mechanical accuracy of the pistol are far smaller than the accuracy disparities that can happen because of sight radius, balance of the pistol or grip size...
    The full size PX4 has two points on the cam block for stabilization. These two sets of teeth stabilize the barrel on both sides of the locking lug. The forward point of stabilization inside of the front of the slide is three quarters of an inch farther out. By the rules of physics the two supports in the back combined with a longer distance to the other support would cause more barrel stability.

The rear teeth of the cam block on a Compact combines with the polymer insert around the guide rod and is stabilized between the frame and the slide in the front.

So, technically there would be a stability difference which would cause a consistency difference. Is this something that is measurable enough for a human hand and eye to make a difference? That is a good question and is subjective.

Experience in shooting all the sizes of the PX4... I have found that the full size is far more accurate for me and for most shooters. The Compact is next in accuracy ease and the SubCompact is last in the line of ease of fine-tuning accuracy.

The sight radius might be in effect as well. Also, the full-size has a little bit more nose weight and the Compact centers its weight a little bit farther back. While I prefer a slight nose heaviness for accuracy and stability, there are those that like the balance of the Compact with a center of gravity farther back.

I have also found that when a pistol is not nose heavy it can be more twitchy in sight alignment.

Certainly training and what a person is used to, the size of their hands, the depth perception ability of their eyes and all these factors come into play. Thought, mechanically they are all quite accurate, but the full-size has the slight edge mechanically.

I finally got to the range today after putting the PX4 specific D-spring in my compact PX4. Just shot 15 rounds of HST 147gr JHP and 15 rounds of federal the FMJ 124 grain. Function was 100%. Going to put more rounds downrange later as I have 3 new Beretta 15 round magazines to vet.

My main mission today was to give some attention to my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911. I had neglected her too long. Sent 108 rounds downrange with 100% function. One hundred rounds of Federal FMJ 230gr bullets and 8 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHP. Glad she doesn't hold a grudge.......she's still got game!

I notice that the stock trigger break distance on the PX4 and PX4C are a bit different. Is that common by design? The PX4C breaks at the frame while the PX4 breaks over 1/8" prior to the frame.

User Tag List