Page 99 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

A heads up if you have a PX4 C or D variant. I sent my C slide in to LTT for the cut and it was returned with a note that they can't do it. Bummer but turn around was very quick.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    A heads up if you have a PX4 C or D variant. I sent my C slide in to LTT for the cut and it was returned with a note that they can't do it. Bummer but turn around was very quick.

Did they say why?
    I believe I asked about that quite a while back, but that may have been even in the old optics cut timeframe. I am thinking from memory, it has a different firing pin.

It's been long enough, I can not find the email on my computer or in my memory.

There was no warning on the LTT website, at that time, about non-compatible variants. On the plus side they did get the slide back pretty quick.
    My apologies to weasels.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Did they say why?
    I believe I asked about that quite a while back, but that may have been even in the old optics cut timeframe. I am thinking from memory, it has a different firing pin.
    I think they just don’t work on the C/D slides. I asked about having my D slide rebuilt (something they do with the standard ones) and they said they don’t carry the parts. Those parts may no longer be available.

Took the plunge today

Writing this after about 2 hours with my new PX4 Storm 9mm compact. This model has the decocker/safety feature. DA/SA action. Two 15-round magazines. Standard 3-dot sights. At this point a few observations. Yeah, oiled well from the factory. Going to disassemble and wipe off excess oil. Glock easy to remove the slide from the frame. The gap between the slide/frame is consistent from to back to front. Workmanship appears to be excellent inside and out. I don't have a trigger pull gauge. I actually prefer the double action pull to the single action pull. The DA is smooth and consistent but a bit on the heavy side. My first SA trigger pull produced this thought: When is the hammer going to drop? After the trigger uptake, you get to the SA wall........apply pressure and wait for the hammer to fall. It is creep free, but man, when is that hammer going to fall?? I'll get use to it and perhaps it will lighten up over time. I am very satisfied so far. Hopefully some range time tomorrow or Wednesday.

I flirted with the idea of the compact carry version of this model. It has "carry helpful" Beretta parts added to the pistol from the jump. The carry model is about $250.00 more with those added goodies. These parts are available from Beretta if I want to add them later.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Writing this after about 2 hours with my new PX4 Storm 9mm compact. This model has the decocker/safety feature. DA/SA action.
    The DA is smooth and consistent but a bit on the heavy side.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your new acquisition.

An easy way to lighten the DA pull (without sacrificing reliability) is to drop in a 12lb or 11lb hammer spring from LTT.

Quote Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    Hopefully you'll enjoy your new acquisition.

An easy way to lighten the DA pull (without sacrificing reliability) is to drop in a 12lb or 11lb hammer spring from LTT.
    Agreed. I have the Full-Sized Carry with competition trigger group. I ordered the 12# from LTT, then the 10#. I also ordered the LTT competition trigger bar. I stoned / polished the sear and the hammer. Loving the smooth action. I did order a digital trigger pull meter.. but it was faulty. Just received replacement; however, I have since sent most of the PX4 to CCR for refinishing - their CPII finish. Don't expect to see it for another 7-8 weeks.

Beretta PX4 first outing, 100% function

Took my Beretta PX4 compact to the range for the first time today. About a week ago I took the pistol apart the way one would for cleaning. I inspected slide and receiver.......everything looked good. Cleaned off the factory oil and lubed the pistol with Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil. Took the 15-round magazines apart and cleaned inside and outside too. They felt a bit tacky out of the box. I used the medium backstrap for this pistol. It was a bit more hand-filling than the small backstrap.

At the range I used the NRA 25 yard slow-fire pistol target, NRA B-16. I shot from a rest at 15 yards. I started out with 50 rounds of Federal HST 147gr JHP, then 100 rounds of MEN German made 124gr NATO FMJ and finished up with 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP standard velocity. All 200 rounds fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. The primer strike was centered and more than sufficient indention. The ejected brass landed about 6' away around the 4:30 position. No brass to the face. The brass was in a neat little pile just like my Beretta M9's ejection pattern.

This is a traditional DA/SA action. The DA pull was long, but consistent through out the length of pull. The SA pull was a bit on the heavy side. The break came when the trigger was almost to the receiver. I finally got over the feeling of "is this hammer ever gonna fall" and found the SA more friendly. I did shoot 15 rounds DA only and found that my accuracy was as good as shooting the pistol SA. I came away with the feeling that a DAO platform with a "D" spring would be close to ideal for me.

I know much has been said about the rotating barrel and recoil mitigation. I did the find the pistol's sights settled back quickly for the next shot. Recoil was not an issue at all. And I didn't feel tired after shooting 200 rounds. I only had the 2 magazines that came with the pistol. Definitely going to order more mags and a holster.

Compared to my Glock 26 gen 5, the Beretta is a bit more chunky. But for carry I am partial to a hammer fired pistol. I learned to shoot with a S&W model 19 so that influence is still there. The slide mounted decocker/safety is another thing I like. At least one has the option to use it or not. It was a great day at the range. I look forward to many more with the PX4!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Compared to my Glock 26 gen 5, the Beretta is a bit more chunky. But for carry I am partial to a hammer fired pistol.
    A G26 would be more fairly compared to a Px4 Subcompact. Check out the thread link below to see a good comparison. Granted, the Subcompact doesn’t have the rotating barrel because of its stubbiness but you can definitely sweeten up the DA/SA action with LTT offerings.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....SA-Glock-26-27
    Last edited by medmo; 11-05-2021 at 10:13 PM.

I came across a stock LNIB Px4 40S&W at my LGS/feed store, ( https://livengoodfeeds.com , Lockhart TX), at an exceptional price that I now own. Thank you @GJM for your G23 Gen 5 thread. I’m pretty sure I’ll never need bear medicine here in Central Texas but I’m not letting get that in the way of being prepared for it. Already converted it to a G and swapped out the stock hammer spring with a LTT 11#. Started shopping LTT and the Beretta websites for fugly decock levers but are showing out of stock on LTT and I’m not seeing them on Beretta. Have they been discontinued? I’d also like to note that it isn’t fair that I have to weekly shop at a feed store that has an awesome gun store inside.

User Tag List