Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

Hot day at range, in sun for most of it - put about 150 rounds through the gun in 45 minutes. Started getting some irregular ejection patterns including BTF. I just hope that when it heats up like it did that nothing gets deformed and starts to cause performance issues at lower temps. I'm going to run it a little wetter next time out and see if it helps. Would still like to know exactly what is happening.

Ernest had the same problem recently - hot gun not running right. he was trying to shoot lots of rounds in a short time on a hot day. once he let the gun cool off outside the holster, all was well. likely they are not designed to run that hot - too many rounds in too short a time on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    Ernest had the same problem recently - hot gun not running right. he was trying to shoot lots of rounds in a short time on a hot day. once he let the gun cool off outside the holster, all was well. likely they are not designed to run that hot - too many rounds in too short a time on a hot day.
    Yeah, a very interesting question there. I will add that to my list of questions that I ask while I am here. I have a bunch of them to ask.

May I ask what kind of ammo he was shooting?
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    Hot day at range, in sun for most of it - put about 150 rounds through the gun in 45 minutes. Started getting some irregular ejection patterns including BTF. I just hope that when it heats up like it did that nothing gets deformed and starts to cause performance issues at lower temps. I'm going to run it a little wetter next time out and see if it helps. Would still like to know exactly what is happening.
    Same question for you as well, what kind of ammo where you shooting?
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

May I also ask what the range was like? I've been hit a few times with the case to the face (as compared to the bullet, which a LEO friend was hit with this year). One my last range trip, hit just right to push my glasses down enough and then catch at the bottom, giving me a burn below the eye.
    In my case that I have detected it was standing just a bit closer on one side, so the ejected casings bounced off the dividers and hit me in the face. Makes me wonder if it would be different if they had something like blankets to absorb energy and flex enough to change direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Same question for you as well, what kind of ammo where you shooting?
    Federal American Eagle 9mm (115 & 124)

Hammertime
    Update on my PX4. I oiled it and ran 340 rounds fairly hot ammo without a problem.

Then I ran 340 mixed Wolf and Brown Bear to torture it. I had one failure to eject with the Brown Bear and one failure to lock open.

I then lightly cleaned and thoroughly oiled it.

Today I ran 330 through in 30 min with no malfunctions. 124 Lawman, PPU 115 NATO, and PPU 115. I was trying to heat it up.

Total count now 1603 five total prior malfunctions, four failures to eject, and one fail to lock back on empty.

It just seems to like being wet and seems to run about 500 rounds before needing oil.

I am also shooting it up close just as well (and occasionally better than) as a Glock which is a first for me with a TDA pistol.

I plan to shoot it til 2000 rounds before lubing again.

Hammertime
    The oily PX4 went for 568 rounds and I had another two failures, identical to my prior malfunctions. First two photos is the first malfunction. The third photo is the second malfunction. Both with PPU 115 grain range ammo.

I had a bunch of hotter NATO fmj that gave no issues, and I shot another 110 rounds after the malfunctions occurred without issue.

This malfunction is a bitch to clear as well it requires dropping the mag and fully clearing the chamber every time. A tap rack makes it worse.

I have a call in to Beretta and will ask them to take pistol in for inspection. If they won’t, will consider replacing springs or just lubing it every range session.

It remains a great shooting gun.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    The oily PX4 went for 568 rounds and I had another two failures, identical to my prior malfunctions. First two photos is the first malfunction. The third photo is the second malfunction. Both with PPU 115 grain range ammo.

I had a bunch of hotter NATO fmj that gave no issues, and I shot another 110 rounds after the malfunctions occurred without issue.

This malfunction is a bitch to clear as well it requires dropping the mag and fully clearing the chamber every time. A tap rack makes it worse.

I have a call in to Beretta and will ask them to take pistol in for inspection. If they won’t, will consider replacing springs or just lubing it every range session.

It remains a great shooting gun.
    While I'm glad you still dig shooting it, that gun is not running like a PX4. I am confident Beretta will take care of you.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Enel, didn't you just send an M9A3 back to Beretta? They fixed that one right away, you should send in your PX4.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List