Page 49 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

[QUOTE=Screwball;658413]
    In regards to NP3 like finishes on the PX4, I am definitely a fan... but not just the PX4, but most designs. My PX4 was plated at CCR, in their CPII (nickel boron; quality is on par with Robar, for a noticeably less amount of money)...

Who is CCR?
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Sorry, they are on a few forums I’m a part of... always forget which.

Husband/wife small business. Very good people. Highly recommended on SIG Forum, which is where I was introduced to them (maybe 2004/2005).

They have some issues... sometimes get swamped, email is spotty with certain services, but I would put their work alongside Robar’s in regards to quality. And I have no hesitation sending guns/parts to either company... but prefer to use smaller businesses (saving money is an added benefit).

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Who is CCR?
    Credence Clearwater Revival....

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    In regards to NP3 like finishes on the PX4, I am definitely a fan... but not just the PX4, but most designs. My PX4 was plated at CCR, in their CPII (nickel boron; quality is on par with Robar, for a noticeably less amount of money)... and they did my Glock 30S and Ruger LCP. I also had them do parts on my Beretta 92 Inox Brigadier, Beretta CX4, CZ SP-01, KelTec SUB-2000, M1 Garand (all my clips), Remington Model 7, Ruger 10/22 Takedown, S&W 629-1 (the Hogue grip screw, which kept rusting), and my two S&W M&Ps. Parts wise, I do barrels, controls, magazine bodies, and other high use parts.

Will also point out I have three firearms done in NP3 Plus;

So, do you FEEL a big difference in how they feel (NP3 verses NiB) before lube? How about after?
    Have pictures of the other side of that? Is the extractor coated? (seems like I have seen some with it done and without, and I worry about excess material, causing an issue on that)

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    So, do you FEEL a big difference in how they feel (NP3 verses NiB) before lube? How about after?
    Have pictures of the other side of that? Is the extractor coated? (seems like I have seen some with it done and without, and I worry about excess material, causing an issue on that)
    You’d notice more of a difference in the texture of the original parts prior to plating than the two platings. I actually have the PX4 out of the safe (CPII), and the two shotguns next to the bed (NP3 Plus)... and I don’t notice any extra slippage between the two finishes. Grasp similar profiled/textured parts, grip is about the same.

For lubrication, I noticed the difference between lubricated and not. I actually wiped all of it off one of my PX4s (want to say the .45), as CCR does add some when they return the gun. Worked fine, but when I lubricated the slide/barrel/block, the slide moves noticeably easier. I tend to use grease with my pistols, so it is a moot point if it runs without lubricant.

I do not have a NP3ed semi-auto pistol (two pump shotguns and a revolver), so I really can’t say if one takes to lubricant better than the other. The action of my pumps isn’t that much different between lubricated and not... but might not be easily distinguished, as you are running a forend instead of physically manipulating a slide.

I know plenty of people that have done extractors with no problem... but to answer your question, my extractor is not plated. I actually chose not to do any extractor (not on my LCP, Glock, or the CX4 bolt assembly), for a similar reason you mentioned. May work fine, I decided not to do it. Plus, if it isn’t done, I don’t need to bother with getting a new one plated when it needs to be changed.

36,015 rounds as of today

Just rolled over 36K this morning and everything is running fine. 14k to go before SHOT Show and I don't see any reason that I will not be able to hit that number.

I did do a detailed cleaning of the gun at 35K just to take a look. It did need it as the bottom end was pretty dirty and so was the firing pin channel.

Of note to me is the hammer spring. Unlike the PX4 Compact, I have not changed the hammer spring since the first trigger job. So this Wilson 12 pound chrome silicon spring now has 36,015 round on it without a single issue. Not a single light strike failure to fire. The only thing I can tell is that the DA is a little lighter than my other guns with fewer rounds and trigger pulls.

Also of note to me is the fact that the parts in the gun, specifically the barrel and slide, look exactly the same as they did 15,000 rounds ago. I can see no real difference at this point. Check out the pictures below.

Here is the barrel at 36,015 rounds

Name:  IMG_5309.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  88.0 KBName:  IMG_5310.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  86.5 KB

Here are barrel pictures from the 20,000 round mark

Name:  FullSizeRender 10.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  32.1 KBName:  FullSizeRender 4.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  24.9 KB

I think the pictures from the 20K point look worse than the 36K point. Maybe they are just better pictures? But I see no more wear on the barrel now and the bore still looks fine.

So I will keep driving on, 13,985 rounds to go
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by timotab View Post
    Perfect, thanks!
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Sorry, they are on a few forums I’m a part of... always forget which.

Husband/wife small business. Very good people. Highly recommended on SIG Forum, which is where I was introduced to them (maybe 2004/2005).

They have some issues... sometimes get swamped, email is spotty with certain services, but I would put their work alongside Robar’s in regards to quality. And I have no hesitation sending guns/parts to either company... but prefer to use smaller businesses (saving money is an added benefit).
    Good to know and thanks for the information. It looks like they do real quality work.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

In a complete thread shift.... and a bit of a OODA for me this am... How in the heck is Langdon Tactical not a SME....

continue on...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List