Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lady Smith Unicorn

Lady Smith Unicorn

Long time lurker, this personal unicorn was tagged and bagged by me last week. A fellow bought it for his wife years ago, she ran a cylinder through it and said "no thanks" to which I say thanks!! Looks to be March of '93 production with non-MIM trigger, a fitting mate to my standard 3" 65 Smith. Perfect timing and bank-vault lockup. Too bad that era is now gone. But hey, she's mine all mine.
    Name:  Ladysmith.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  82.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Very nice find! 3 inch barrel K frame with a fully shrouded ejector rod is about as nice a combination of features as I could imagine on a revolver.

I have never understood, however, why Smith & Wesson and others choose to market such guns to ladies. By the time these guns were made, manufacturershad largely figured out that those wooden splinter grips were suboptimal, and yet they were chosen to help a lady manage the recoil of a .357 magnum. I have a hard time believing that anyone who was involved in that idea ever bothered to ask a lady what she might want in a handgun. As a result,they came up with the perfect handgun for a man (or perhaps a lady if better grips were chosen) and included a set of grips that neither a man nor a lady would want.

Still, I do not want to detract from the congratulations over a nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentz View Post
    Long time lurker, this personal unicorn was tagged and bagged by me last week. A fellow bought it for his wife years ago, she ran a cylinder through it and said "no thanks" to which I say thanks!! Looks to be March of '93 production with non-MIM trigger, a fitting mate to my standard 3" 65 Smith. Perfect timing and bank-vault lockup. Too bad that era is now gone. But hey, she's mine all mine.
    Name:  Ladysmith.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  82.9 KB
    Congrats!
    Last edited by Francis; 04-19-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Remove sig

Superb catch, may it bring you many years of enjoyment.

If I may be so bold, have you thought about adding a Tyler T-Grip to it?

As the owner of a 3" J-frame, finding a set of grips that allows both the use of speedloaders and that full-length ejection rod can be problematical. A T-grip can be a real plus.

Site Supporter
    Good grab. That's one model I am always on the lookout for

I bought my wife (then girlfriend) one in 95 IIRC. It didn't take her long to replace the grips. I was not aware they were unicorns.

I'll probably wipe this one down and stick it in the back of the safe; the 65 I carry wears pachys. As for unicorn status, I saw one at a show 10 years ago and passed on it to my regret. Not like they're under every gunshop display case....

Awesome revolver! I don't care if it says, "Ladysmith," on the side...I'd rock that thing in a heartbeat!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Awesome revolver! I don't care if it says, "Ladysmith," on the side...I'd rock that thing in a heartbeat!

Gender bender!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentz View Post
    Perfect timing and bank-vault lockup. Too bad that era is now gone.
    Mechanically, that era is still here. Current Smiths time and lockup just fine, and every bit as good as a Tompkins PLC-era gun...

With that out of the way...that's a hell of a catch! Congrats! A 65LS is one of only a tiny number of ways to get a 3" FS/RB/HB K-frame magnum with a shrouded ejector rod. Awesome revolvers. Kinda wish I hadn't let mine go in a moment of weakness...

I'd put your current 65 in the safe and tote that one, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Tamara; 04-21-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List