Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" 9x19 AR15 Carbine Chrono Test.... 77 different 9x19 OEM rounds chronographed.

So how do I edit the 3 main data posts, and add a informative sentence to the first post ?

I would like to add more future rounds I have ordered up...... but the "pencil / edit post" is not available .

Hammertime
    I find it interesting that the Russian stuff is amongst the hottest 115gr FMJ loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    There is a one hour edit window, if you really need to add a sentence to the OP, PM it to me and I'll update it. If you like to add info to posts, quote the relavent section in a new post and add the desired info there.
    Ok...

I was going to add / alter the 3 sections with the additional rounds I ordered tonight.

I will IM you the added sentence and the first section so you can see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I find it interesting that the Russian stuff is amongst the hottest 115gr FMJ loads.
    And filthy dirty burning.

Just an FYI, I ordered another 35+ different rounds tonight .... so check back in about 2 weeks for the added velocities.

I have a factory built 5.5 inch barreled SBR AR9 and I was wondering have you ever had any issue with Steel Cased Ammo in your AR9? I had one round that got stuck within the first 6 rounds and was told to after I got it out I cleaned it and ran Geco 115 and it ran okay. Just wondering how your shooting of the AR9 steel cased has been.

gremlins...ghost in the machine
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 04-20-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: gremlins / ghost in the machine

YMMV...I haven't done the reliability testing yet... but IMHO, if your firearm has a tight chamber... I would prefer not to use lacquer coated steel cases... the amount of gummy gunk a blowback action produces will not help function eventually.

And honestly, brass has much better properties for ammo cases.

I don't have it here on this computer... but steel cases contract much slower then brass cases, so your extractor is trying to yank the steel case out of your blowback firearm ( or .223 rifle) at the same time the steel case is still tenaciously clinging to the chamber.

Under the same conditions the brass case has already, smoothly expanded and contracted..

I will try the find the link to the pressure differencesThat said, steel cases will run... but will always be harder on the extraction cycle. And dirtier in my experience.

And without trying to sound flippant at all.... just remember it is an inexpensive "alternative" to higher quality brass ammo... not an "equal".
    And frankly... most steel cased ammo is produced to go bang, as inexpensively as possible.... so QC may be lacking ( Case sizing, lack of case production to the proper dimensions... rim thickness.. etc..

I view most Steel Cased ammo as the "generic" store brand.... close, but not the same.

There are exceptions... IMHO, Hornady Steel Match .223 75gr BTHP I held to a higher quality standard, then average .223 steel cased.

Your question just made me wonder about another test.... remove the extractor from a pistol fire a steel case from a pistol v. a brass case... and promptly see which case comes out of the barrel easier.... I bet the brass will pull out with your fingernail easier then the steel case..... just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 04-20-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Not that there needs to be a (good) reason, but what are you trying to accomplish with this exercise?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not that there needs to be a (good) reason, but what are you trying to accomplish with this exercise?
    "I realize most people are not really concerned with the velocity of various 9x19 rounds... but ...My goal was to see what will run in my carbine, what the velocities were , and "guesstimating" what the added velocity would do to the various JHP, Bonded HP's, Copper HP's etc.... ( You have to start somewhere... ) "

And...

I also know there are various other sites with very helpful info ( BBTI ) ... but, some of their data is kind of dated, and does not include the newest rounds.

I tried to sum it up in my long winded 1st Post.

User Tag List