Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

This thread needs a BUMP!

I am still going to AppleSeeed I make it to a shoot a few times a year. I much prefer going to shoot AppleSeed then hanging out at a normal rifle range.

This year I have been bringing friends with kids (about 11 years old) to a few shoots. Everyone had a great time.

One budy of mine regularly teaches CQB carbine, he loved the program. He was so excited to finally get some good instruction on prone.
    He never learned traditional marksmanship correctly and thought this was an excellent program, learned much about marksmanship he never knew and had a great time.
    And all the expensive toys he brought did not help him one bit (22lr rifles with silencers, fancy brand named bolt guns) since he really needed to practice his shooting,
    It was a "The Indian not the arrow" sort of thing.

I have switched one of my 10/22's from a tech sight to the NoDakSpud rear sight with rail http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm so I can put a red dot on for guests. The latest versions of these sights have double holes in the adjustment ring so that one can get finer adjustments per click. The recent sale at Primary Arms https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm scored me some well thought of target red dots for only $50. And this weekend I am going to try out the BearTooth Comb raising kit http://www.beartooth-products.com/re...sing-kits.html to that my guests can get a decent cheek weld with the optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Like I said earlier, I think it's a splendid excuse to sex up a little 10/22 with some Tech Sights and spend a day in the sun, getting help with my position shooting.
    Missed this thread the first time so I read from beginning. This was all I got out of it.

I find the whole idea quite amusing. Becoming a "Rifleman" by shooting reduced silhouettes at 25 yards (no wind or elevation changes to deal with) with a .22LR rifle (no recoil to affect your position). Yeah right......

I saw one of these going on at my club. Don't know why but I got the wrong vibe from the red hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I find the whole idea quite amusing. Becoming a "Rifleman" by shooting reduced silhouettes at 25 yards (no wind or elevation changes to deal with) with a .22LR rifle (no recoil to affect your position). Yeah right......

I saw one of these going on at my club. Don't know why but I got the wrong vibe from the red hats.
    Alpha Sierra: No one becomes a great long-range shot by shooting .22's at 25 yards--but you do learn the fundamentals. I have never been to an Appleseed shoot, and probably never will attend one, but I learned to shoot 50 years ago in an NRA program in which we shot targets at 50 feet with .22 target rifles. The fundamentals were thoroughly stressed, and some years later when I was in the Army I knew what I was doing better than most of my instructors.

Based on my experience, I approve of any program that gives shooters a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of marksmanship, and from what I've read, the Appleseed project does that.

The fundamentals taught at Appleseed's are necessary preconditions for long range success. Shooting 22's at 25 yards doesn't mean you can hit at 500. But if you can hit at 500, you have the skill to shoot 22's at 25 yards very well.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Based on my experience, I approve of any program that gives shooters a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of marksmanship, and from what I've read, the Appleseed project does that.
    This. A good Appleseed clinic will help bone up on your basic position shooting. It's also my experience that the Appleseed volunteer instructor ranks are lousy with NRA High Power shooters and other serious riflery geeks.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

OK lets turn it around,

What else, besides appleseed, do people do to keep current on rifle skills?

The only rifle ranges that I found were over a two hour drive from me and mostly they require a bench rest sort of precision shooting. I could only stand that for about an hour or so before getting bored and going home. The lack of comradery also made the range difficult to motivate myself to get in the car and drive to. The net result is perhaps 4 hours of bench rest shooting a year when I belonged to a private rifle range.

Appleseed is a whole weekend, with a structured shooting program and it includes a performance test and only a $70 entrance fee. I can motivate myself to get a hotel room for two days of shooting a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's also my experience that the Appleseed volunteer instructor ranks are lousy with NRA High Power shooters and other serious riflery geeks.
    I am not sure what you mean here.

I have seen some CMP shooters at AppleSeed, I understand CMP is encouraging appleseed for additional practice.

Appleseed seems to have adjusted its tone over the past few year. I always thought the "are you a rifleman or cook?" was a great come on line, but it seems to have put people off with its hard edge so now it is a bit softer and family friendly in tone (material is about the same) and politics are explicitly off limits for discussion. (So I always needle them with a few questions about "common sense gun laws" )

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I am not sure what you mean here.

I have seen some CMP shooters at AppleSeed, I understand CMP is encouraging appleseed for additional practice.

Appleseed seems to have adjusted its tone over the past few year. I always thought the "are you a rifleman or cook?" was a great come on line, but it seems to have put people off with its hard edge so now it is a bit softer and family friendly in tone (material is about the same) and politics are explicitly off limits for discussion. (So I always needle them with a few questions about "common sense gun laws" )
    "Lousy with" is a colloquialism for "Packed with", I.E. there are many NRA High power shooters in the coach's ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    "Lousy with" is a colloquialism for "Packed with"
    I would never have guessed.

User Tag List