Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

Quote Originally Posted by jumpthestack View Post

I'd like to go back and try it with a centerfire next time. Note for those who would shoot centerfire; they don't let you rest the mag on the ground as a monopod, so AR shooters would be well served by 10 or 20 round mags.
    Why not? That's an inherent advantage of the AR, one I would certainly take advantage of in the field.

I've shot 4-5 Appleseeds and I will continue to do so. In my opinion, there is no better way to learn basic rifle marksmanship than an Appleseed, and the history stuff is every bit as good as the marksmanship training. So far I've gotten the patch with a 10/22 and 1-4x scoped AR. My highest score to date is a 238 (with the AR).

I once shot a qual with my department issued Remington 700P/ Leupold 4.5-14x50 .308... I used holdover instead of changing my dope (it was a last minute decision to shoot that rifle) and all was well until I threw a round into the bolt raceway and jammed up the gun. It was just impossible to maintain the time requirements with a malfunction like that, so I missed a bolt action RIFLEMAN by 12 points. I must say though that running a 308 bolt gun that hard and fast was the most fun I'd ever had at an Appleseed event!

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Why not? That's an inherent advantage of the AR, one I would certainly take advantage of in the field.
    I think the idea is that they want to keep things very basic. They don't let you use a bipod, sandbag rest, or magazine monopod, so you can practice holding the gun steady when those aren't available. Then when they are available, you can shoot even better.
    http://appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.html
    Can I use a bipod?

No. We teach a basic driving class, so we want you to learn to drive stick shift — that means with a sling, not a bipod. We also encourage you to use iron sights, but optics are okay.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    To be perfectly blunt? Because the genesis of the whole thing is from Fred of Fred's Rifle Stocks and the "Revolutionary War Veteran's Association".

It's all about loop slings and M-14s and fantasies of Cletus and Jasper slinging up and picking off blue-helmeted Bulgarians from sitting at 500 yards with iron sights. It seems to be only very tangentially related to "the field", unless the field in question is the one at Camp Perry.

Still, it's teaching people how to shoot a rifle, and I'm totally down with that.

(Alternate opinions expressed by an 'net friend of mine here and here. I will add that, while I enjoyed the one I attended, my Shootin' Buddy, who has hundreds of hours of instruction, was less impressed. His rifle needed zeroing, and they really didn't allocate time to do so, nor would they let him zero during lunch, so he spent most of the day frustrated.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-24-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

That's kind of what I figured. Besides, I shoot an M4 alot, I want to go to Appleseed to shoot a nice blue and walnut .22.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Like I said earlier, I think it's a splendid excuse to sex up a little 10/22 with some Tech Sights and spend a day in the sun, getting help with my position shooting.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Any one been to one, I'd love to hear your experience. Anyone want to come to one in MT, let me know.
    I attended about two years ago. I shot a 10/22 with Tech Sights and a Volquartsen trigger group. Overall, I thought that it was time well spent. I hadn't had much instruction in classic rifleman skills and I definitely learned some stuff. For the price, the course really is hard to beat. I never found the course as demanding as others seem to have but I also shot Rifleman on the second day.

I keep planning on going back as they are taught fairly close to me. When I go again, I'll probably shoot my 15/22 with a BAD lever. My thinking is that with the right ammo, my 15/22 is wicked accurate and the magazine exchanges while looped up will require the BAD lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    (Alternate opinions expressed by an 'net friend of mine here and here. I will add that, while I enjoyed the one I attended, my Shootin' Buddy, who has hundreds of hours of instruction, was less impressed. His rifle needed zeroing, and they really didn't allocate time to do so, nor would they let him zero during lunch, so he spent most of the day frustrated.)
    Man the PDB dude is not a fan! I've attended a few and had the exact opposite experience of him; those posts are from a few years ago and the program has definitely matured since then. Helpful instructors, kids and adults who were total or near newbies having a blast and learning the basics of sight alignment and trigger control plus some fun historical stories. I imagine like anything the quality of instructors can vary but all the instructors I dealt with were knowledgeable enough to help new shooters.

You'd think a guy with hundreds of hours of instruction would just fire his first COF and make sight adjustments during the "prep your rifle" time that Appleseed has before each string. Had to do that myself a few times when I was shooting a rifle that had previously been loaned to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post

You'd think a guy with hundreds of hours of instruction would just fire his first COF and make sight adjustments during the "prep your rifle" time that Appleseed has before each string. Had to do that myself a few times when I was shooting a rifle that had previously been loaned to someone else.
    You'd think that, but you know how that goes. I don't know the guy, but the average training junkie who goes to a well known carbine or pistol course these days, probably has no clue how to build a proper shooting position, let alone how and why to use a shooting sling. IME, you have to have come through a decent precision rifle school to get any of that.

I'm sure there will be parts of Appleseed that will bore me, maybe even parts that I disagree with. However, I haven't been this excited for a shooting course in years, and anything that gives you a chance to practice your traditional rifle skills in a class setting (as in, those that let you hit the target) can't be bad.

I want to try it, but there's none scheduled in my state or the 4 states bordering it. Anybody know if they just haven't put up a 2012 schedule yet or not?

User Tag List