Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

SLG, I'm a Tech-Sights fanboy for the SKS. Never used them on another platform, but had two sets on SKSs. Great company IMHO.

GJM,

Nice. We use barnes bullets as well, and though my 308 shoots pretty well, my wife's shoots twice as well. We too use the 2.5-8:-) Great scope. Great package. I have quite a few other rifles, including some ultralight customs, and my go to rifle is my Montana. Hard to beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    SLG, I'm a Tech-Sights fanboy for the SKS. Never used them on another platform, but had two sets on SKSs. Great company IMHO.
    I was actually thinking of putting a set on the SKS, so that's good to hear.

SLG,

I installed tech sights on my kids 10/22's, and they're great. The sights, along with a stock modified to fit them has made learning to shoot much more enjoyable

my daughter's 10/22:

I haven't shot Appleseed, but it's on my list of things to do with the kids!
    Last edited by lindertw; 12-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG
    How did you like the tech sights?
    I liked 'em enough that I've spent time since then trying to figure out an excuse to buy a 10/22 so I could slap some on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
    my daughter's 10/22:
    I find myself kinda jealous of your daughter.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've been to a couple. One was on the weekend closest to April 19 last year. The history connection is even stronger that shoot.

Scored a lot worse than I figured I would. (Too long without shooting from positions other than offhand or a bench).
    Learned that for those little squares they use at 25 meters I have to have a scope. Tried three different rifles and decided the 10/22 works best for me.

Plan to go to another this spring or summer.

SLG, could you shoot me a PM with your thoughts on the Leupold 2.5-8?
    #RESIST

LL, I have several of the 2.5x8s. IMHO, a super scope. Even though I'm not SLG, HTHs.

I used a 10/22 with tech sights and a GI style web sling. I never quite broke 210 to get the patch at an event, but I did it in practice afterwards. If I went now, I'd probably shoot my Nordic 22lr upper with Primary Arms 1-4x.

TLG, if you can shoot that well, they'll probably try to get you to volunteer as an instructor.

I've been to two; I scored Rifleman the second time, on the last AQT of the day. It's very good training, especially for the low price. You get a lot of practice on the steady hold factors, trying to find your natural point of aim fast, and the steps of firing the shot.

I ran a 10/22 with Volquartsen auto bolt release and target hammer and TacSol extended magazine release, and a Simmons 22 mag scope. You don't really need anything beyond improved sights of some kind, but an auto bolt release and extended mag release really improve the feel of a 10/22. Also make sure your mags drop free. If they don't, some very light sanding on the sides of the mags can help.

This is the kind of sling they specialize in teaching:
    http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm
    They're available from http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart...pid=10&cat_id=
    You will want a quick detach mount for the front sling attachment point so you can just leave the loop on your arm and detach the sling from the rifle during cease fires, just for speed and convenience.
    Other slings are fine but the instructors may or may not be able to help you with the use of it.

I'd like to go back and try it with a centerfire next time. Note for those who would shoot centerfire; they don't let you rest the mag on the ground as a monopod, so AR shooters would be well served by 10 or 20 round mags.

User Tag List