Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

I've qualified for my rifleman patch with an AR-15 with red dot, 10-22 with peep, and 10-22 with scope. I have gotten close with a Ruger 77-22 bolt with iron sights, but I drop points on time in a couple of the rounds trying to work the bolt.

I'll never do it again with a center fire. Too much money for what I get out of it. It's a reduced distance designed for .22's and that's the best way to shoot it.

None of it is a "gimme".. I'll go again the next time around with my daughters that are getting really close to qualifying. The Alaskan instructors are excellent and I don't get any negative from them about firearms we use, even though I know they're all in love with Garands.

At Appleseed a while ago, my at-the-time-13 year old daughter wore low rise jeans despite my advice. She got hot brass down the back of her pants but still scored Sharpshooter.

I and my precision rifle partner both took home Rifleman patches with scoped .22 bolt guns, after some complaining from the match staff because we didn't use the Appleseed orthodoxy.

I highly recommend Appleseed. They do things their way, and that's fine.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-13-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I got my Rifleman patch with a scoped, heavy barreled Savage bolt action. Challenging, but satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    At Appleseed a while ago, my at-the-time-13 year old daughter wore low rise jeans despite my advice. She got hot brass down the back of her pants but still scored Sharpshooter.

I and my precision rifle partner both took home Rifleman patches with scoped .22 bolt guns, after some complaining from the match staff because we didn't use the Appleseed orthodoxy.

I highly recommend Appleseed. They do things their way, and that's fine.
    My 15 y.o. daughter took a hot 5.56 shell under her collar making a perfect 5.56 brass outline burn on her collarbone at Appleseed. The following day she went to volleyball camp. Her roommate at camp recognized what it was immediately and told her she was a shooter too. They are still friends years later.

It's been a while, but when I went I qualified Rifleman with an open sight bolt action 22(CZ452).

It's certainly easier with a scope, but I don't think that is necessarily the point. There is value is learning what a clean shot "feels" like without instant visual feedback.

I hit exactly 210 with a Tech-Sighted 10/22 --- and when you hit the score exactly as opposed to >210 you get dunked in water. The range we were at didn't have running water so I got to flop down in a puddle from the rainstorm the day before

Need to do it again and score higher, and also do it with my AR.

And not to beat a dead horse, but to address the observation that the Appleseed-specific conditions (.22s, reduced targets, sling-supported positions) don't properly reflect real world tactical environments, 2 things:
    1) it's a "walk before you run" thing --- so, if you*can't* shoot their course of fire well, given their conditions, then maybe you *do* have some fundamentals to address before going further
    2) the history segments that are presented throughout the weekend, and their contribution to context for the skills as well as the emphasis on shooting culture, are about worth the price of admission all on their own.

Got my patch at the very first "Rifleman's Boot Camp" , was 69 yrs. old at the time and shooting a M1A . Camped on the range 10 days. Took me a long time to get over that trip .
    Got another at the first Appleseed held in Ga. shooting the same rifle .
    My son shot an AR and my Grandson shot a 10/22 with Tech Sights at the same Ga. Appleseed and we were the first time for 3 generations to attended an Appleseed .
    Last edited by ken grant; 12-26-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Just wanted to jump in with some Appleseed praise here. I took my 15 yoa son to a one day clinic in Ft. Worth a few weeks ago. He's not big into shooting, but does deer hunt a bit and I thought the rifle training would do us both some good. (I'm really a USPSA guy and don't shoot rifles much at all)

He enjoyed it and shot rifleman with a red dot on a 10/22 three of the four runs with did through the test deal. Think I would have done 4/4 but didn't realize the first was being timed and actually counted.

We had a great time and I'd like to go to one of their known distance events in the future.

I've thought about going a few times. Even talked to my state coordinator and got approved to skip the 25 meter stuff if I wanted to go to a KD shoot based on my NRA/CMP service rifle experience.

But every time I'm about to press the "buy" button I back out because I cringe at the thought of sitting through their lunchtime storytelling.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-01-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I've thought about going a few times. Even talked to my state coordinator and got approved to skip the 25 meter stuff if I wanted to go to a KD shoot based on my NRA/CMP service rifle experience.

But every time I'm about to press the "buy" button I back out because I cringe at the thought of sitting through their lunchtime storytelling.
    I'm probably ignorant but I enjoyed that more than I expected. I thought they did a nice job showing how the battle of Lexington was due to a combination of bad luck, miscommunication and a couple assholes on each side egging things on.

I won't be back until they start allowing the M&P 15-22 again, though.

User Tag List