Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I would never have guessed.
    I think it's a generational thing. I'm 46 and familiar with it but it was really used more before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's also my experience that the Appleseed volunteer instructor ranks are lousy with NRA High Power shooters
    Not in Ohio. In fact, the Appleseed geeks here seem to shun anyone who knows more than them about rifle marksmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I think it's a generational thing. I'm 46 and familiar with it but it was really used more before my time.
    Are you saying Tam is older than 46?

Put together a bog post on Appleseed. Summary: do it! http://notonemoregunlaw.blogspot.com...appleseed.html

Be sure to read the included Massad Ayoob's links on Appleseed.

Site Supporter
    I thought I'd necro this thread instead of starting a new one...

I'll be attending my first Appleseed in a couple of weeks. Up until now, my only formal rifle instruction has been in the Boy Scouts 20+ years ago and a short-range hoser carbine class taught by some local instructors. I've done bit of reading (and watched some YouTube videos) on positional shooting and sling use, but that's about it. I've got most everything on their recommended gear list and threw a GI web sling and some Tech Sights on my old 10/22.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks to help me prepare? Is there anything gear wise you guys have found helpful that wasn't on the list? Is it worthwhile for me to try my hand at all of these positions before I receive formal instruction?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I thought I'd necro this thread instead of starting a new one...

I'll be attending my first Appleseed in a couple of weeks. Up until now, my only formal rifle instruction has been in the Boy Scouts 20+ years ago and a short-range hoser carbine class taught by some local instructors. I've done bit of reading (and watched some YouTube videos) on positional shooting and sling use, but that's about it. I've got most everything on their recommended gear list and threw a GI web sling and some Tech Sights on my old 10/22.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks to help me prepare? Is there anything gear wise you guys have found helpful that wasn't on the list? Is it worthwhile for me to try my hand at all of these positions before I receive formal instruction?

TIA
    I've been to a couple of Appleseeds over the years with my kids and nephews, etc.

In no particular order:

-Tech sights work great, but for your first appleseed consider using a scope. There's so much else going on that you'll have an easier time getting your hits with a scope. One positive about iron sights is that eye relief isn't an issue, while for scopes it is an issue. Make sure your scope eye relief is usable in the prone position. Basically, make sure your eye isn't too close to the scope to be usable.

-If the trigger in your 10/22 is stock, pay the money and get an upgraded trigger group. This will help a lot. The Ruger version is pretty good, and you can get it in time for the event. If you had more time, you could send your trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing. Their triggers are well worth the $40. This is a very worthwhile upgrade to you 10/22 in general.

-If you're going to work on something before you go, it's getting into a prone position quickly. Actually, sitting position is much harder for me to get into quickly.

-Depending on your age and flexibility, start taking Ibuprofen the morning of Appleseed, and don't stop until a few days later. It will keep the soreness of all of the unusual movements down. You need to build up a level of NSAIDs in your bloodstream for them to work, and keep that level until the soreness goes away.

-Bring all of your 10/22 magazines. If you start having issue with one magazine, toss it aside and go to another magazine. After the day is over, you can watch a youtube tutorial and retension the mags that stop working.

Good luck! I really enjoyed every one I've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I've been to a couple of Appleseeds over the years with my kids and nephews, etc.

In no particular order:

-Tech sights work great, but for your first appleseed consider using a scope. There's so much else going on that you'll have an easier time getting your hits with a scope. One positive about iron sights is that eye relief isn't an issue, while for scopes it is an issue. Make sure your scope eye relief is usable in the prone position. Basically, make sure your eye isn't too close to the scope to be usable.

-If the trigger in your 10/22 is stock, pay the money and get an upgraded trigger group. This will help a lot. The Ruger version is pretty good, and you can get it in time for the event. If you had more time, you could send your trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing. Their triggers are well worth the $40. This is a very worthwhile upgrade to you 10/22 in general.

-If you're going to work on something before you go, it's getting into a prone position quickly. Actually, sitting position is much harder for me to get into quickly.

-Depending on your age and flexibility, start taking Ibuprofen the morning of Appleseed, and don't stop until a few days later. It will keep the soreness of all of the unusual movements down. You need to build up a level of NSAIDs in your bloodstream for them to work, and keep that level until the soreness goes away.

-Bring all of your 10/22 magazines. If you start having issue with one magazine, toss it aside and go to another magazine. After the day is over, you can watch a youtube tutorial and retension the mags that stop working.

Solid post. Thanks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

In no particular order:

Awesome intel. Thank you!

Brimstone is right up the road from me, but it looks like lead time will be an issue. I may try to track down a Ruger BX trigger in the meantime.

The NSAIDs advice is great. I definitely wouldn't have thought of that on my own. I'm not geriatric, but at 35, I'm more prone to wear and tear than I used to be.

Thanks again!

Knee pads can be helpful especially if on concrete, possibly elbow pads depending on what type of mat you’re working with.

Practice changing mags from sitting and prone positions.

If it’s your first time worry more about the process versus results so you don’t burn in bad reps trying to make a certain score.

I did one with my son and it was a great experience. Go with a Ruger 10/22 and peep sights.

User Tag List