Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Appleseed

Project Appleseed

Not sure if I picked the right forum for this.

Anyone been to a shoot? I'm trying to get to one, and am really looking forward to it. Not real high speed, but it seems pretty neat to me.

I'm trying to decide between an accurized 10/22, or a CZ 452 (which is as accurate as all get out). Obviously the semi will make life easier, but I think I'll get more out of the time limits using a bolt.

Any one been to one, I'd love to hear your experience. Anyone want to come to one in MT, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Not sure if I picked the right forum for this.

Anyone been to a shoot? I'm trying to get to one, and am really looking forward to it. Not real high speed, but it seems pretty neat to me.

I'm trying to decide between an accurized 10/22, or a CZ 452 (which is as accurate as all get out). Obviously the semi will make life easier, but I think I'll get more out of the time limits using a bolt.

Any one been to one, I'd love to hear your experience. Anyone want to come to one in MT, let me know.
    I've been to a few. You can't beat it for learning the fundamentals of rifle shooting with a side of history. The optimal rifle is a detachable mag semi-auto, but they'll work with you on whatever you bring. With the semi, you won't be worrying about working the bolt and mags give you easy reloads. If you, as an experienced shooter, want to take a bolt gun for the challenge, go for it, but newbies should definitely prefer an semi.

ETA: What do you have on the two rifles for sights/scopes?

In the northeast, they do a lot of 'rapid fire AQTs', which is 10 rounds standing at simulated 100y, 10 rounds sitting at sim 200y, 10 rounds prone at sim 300y, and 10 rounds prone at sim 400y all in 4 minutes. Some of the other instructor groups do the 4 stages separately more. That time isn't hard with a semi, but can be a challenge with a bolt gun, especially without 10 round mags.

If the one you're going to is 25m only, definitely go with a 22LR. Some events have the opportunity to shoot full distance on Sunday, in which case I'd probably bring both a 22 and a centerfire.

I've never done the "speed AQT", but on the standard COF, I shoot in the upper 230's with my bolt, so I figure it'll do the job. I'll try the speed version one of these days, and see how it goes, though I don't think it will change much. The CZ has a variable Redfield (new manufacture) on it, and the Ruger has a 4X simmons. Either one does just fine, though the Redfield is a much nicer scope. If I end up preferring the Ruger, I might throw a Leupy 3-9 on it.

If you've been several times, it must be worth your time. I'm more excited to go to this than I can explain.

What sling to you prefer? I've been using a ching sling for years, though in the last few years, a TAB sling has seen a lot of use on my bolt guns. Have you tried a Mountain Shooter sling?

What rifle/sight do you use?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Been to one.

Imagine a DCM clinic with all of the boring sucked out of it.

The instructors tend to be really fired up about their mission of teaching rifle marksmanship. I had a grand time just shutting my mouth and opening my ears and watching how much fun everybody around me was having.

As a bonus, one of the instructors at ours was an ROTC student from a university in TN who had brought extra 10/22's with slings and tech-sights from his school rifle team. That just tickled me pink and made me proud to have lived in TN.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What is a mountain shooter sling?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is a mountain shooter sling?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2572793

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Been to one.

Imagine a DCM clinic with all of the boring sucked out of it.

The instructors tend to be really fired up about their mission of teaching rifle marksmanship. I had a grand time just shutting my mouth and opening my ears and watching how much fun everybody around me was having.

As a bonus, one of the instructors at ours was an ROTC student from a university in TN who had brought extra 10/22's with slings and tech-sights from his school rifle team. That just tickled me pink and made me proud to have lived in TN.

How did you like the tech sights?

Thanks, looks interesting. I have been using Ching slings for years, since first doing API 270 back in 91 or 92. I modified a military sling, in a somewhat similar way, for my lightweight .260 I took sheep hunting in the Brooks Range this past summer.

GJM,

Kimber 84M Montana? In .260? Awesome. I have several of those guns, but none in .260:-(

It sure is. Shoots great with Barnes bullets, and I have a 2.5-8 Leupold with a Premier style reticle. Weighs just over six pounds with scope and sling. As you probably know, the stainless Kimbers can be hit and miss in accuracy, and when I found out how well this one shot, I coerced my buddy into selling it to me for my sheep rifle.

User Tag List