Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR Optics with a fixed front sight and astigmatism

I have no idea what a Toric lens is. I've only been wearing glasses for maybe 5 years and my left eye actually needs LESS magnification now than it did 4 years ago. I'm roughly 20/40 vision uncorrected, 20/15 corrected.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

So, quick question. Does the size of the red dot make a difference in how much it Star bursts? Will a 4moa dot burst as much as a 2moa dot? How about a 3.25?

Just curious because if I ever got into the MRDS game on a pistol I can't exactly put a ghost ring rear sight on the pistol to minimize the bursting.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, quick question. Does the size of the red dot make a difference in how much it Star bursts? Will a 4moa dot burst as much as a 2moa dot? How about a 3.25?

Just curious because if I ever got into the MRDS game on a pistol I can't exactly put a ghost ring rear sight on the pistol to minimize the bursting.

I believe that the larger dot will have more apparent distortion. The smaller dot will be "tighter". At least that's what I have read on other sites when this topic came up. I use a 2 MOA.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Yes, in my eyes the larger and brighter the dot, the more starburst effect I see.

Site Supporter
    I also have found that the larger the dot the greater the distortion. Interestingly (to me) I also found that the larger Aimpoints such as the Comp M4 have less distortion than the micros given the same dot size. Having said that I admit I have not had the opportunity to use one of the T2 or H2 Aimpoints to see if the improvements leveled out the clarity for me.

I have also found that when staring at the distortion of the dot, trying to evaluate brightness/distortion, it always appears worse than when I am shooting and using the dot as it is supposed to be used. This is particularly true indoors or in low light when there is less ambient light available to "wash out" some of the distortion.

Regarding a LPV, I used to use a Short Dot on one of my carbines with a fixed front post. It was again a case of when in actual use it was not distracting to have the front sight in view (at lower power settings). At 4x it was hardly noticeable at all. The trade off for the LPV is the added weight over a red dot sight.
    Polite Professional

If you see a starburst effect with a rifle RDS, are you seeing the same effect with the RMR or other pistol mounted MRDS?

User Tag List