Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics with a fixed front sight and astigmatism

I have run LPVs w/ a fixed front sight. While it was visible at lower levels, I didn't find it at all distracting.

If weight isn't an issue, I think the 1-4x LPV makes a lot of sense for a carbine.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

For an HD gun, I'd like a 30mm aimpoint, regardless of astigmatism, or front sight.

As long the assuming point in the reticle is bigger than the front sight, a magnified optic with a front sight is doable, if not ideal. The front sight will start interfering with hold overs. The front sight will also cut down the amount of light entering the scope.

I have astigmatism and it causes aberrations with the dot of my H1 and T2. However, the aberration is constant and I can still make hits on standard silhouette targets quickly and accurately out to 300 yards
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Ok, so it sounds like what I need to do is revisit RDS options and pick a solid one (most likely Aimpoint PRO) and find a happy medium power setting. Worst case scenario, I adopt a fixed rear sight to help mitigate the starbursting, but I doubt my astigmatism is THAT bad.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I have an astigmatism as well and although it's mild, I get some starbursts with Aimpoints, etc... The one model where the starburst effect is least apparent is with DI Optical's FC1; it uses a prism type red dot. They also have a larger EG model that has a little larger viewing window and it too uses a prism. I use an FC1 on each of my B&T APCs and they are the perfect size for a subgun.
    Last edited by RMF; 04-20-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RMF View Post
    I have an astigmatism as well and although it's mild, I get some starbursts with Aimpoints, etc... The one model where the starburst effect is least apparent is with DI Optical's FC1; it uses a prism type red dot. They also have a larger EG model that has a little larger viewing window and it too uses a prism. I use an FC1 on each of my B&T APCs and they are the perfect size for a subgun.
    Interesting. I've never heard of them before.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Interesting. I've never heard of them before.
    I hadn't either but I was at Rainier Arms shopping around and saw then in the display case and inquired. They are really well built, auto shutoff and interesting design. Not many reviews of them on the net but nonetheless they work for me. They are also about half the price of a T1.
    Last edited by RMF; 04-20-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Ok, so it sounds like what I need to do is revisit RDS options and pick a solid one (most likely Aimpoint PRO) and find a happy medium power setting. Worst case scenario, I adopt a fixed rear sight to help mitigate the starbursting, but I doubt my astigmatism is THAT bad.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I find that the 5 or 6 position on my H2 is a good level to leave it running on in case I need to grab the rifle at night...yet it is still sufficiently bright to be picked up against a brighter background if I were training the rifle from a darkened room upon a target in an illuminated setting.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Here are some pics of the DI Optical FC1 Prism on my APC45

Last edited by RMF; 04-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.

You didn't mention if your optometrist suggested toric contact lenses or glasses to lessen the astigmatism.

I have astigmatism in the dominant eye but do good work with a T1 2MOA on my work Commando, because I have a toric lense which is actually focused for my pistols' front sights. There is still a bit of flair.

The left eye is for long distance focus and it works well with Aimpoints.

My current eyeglass lenses are too skinny to have a bifocal at the top of the right lense, but it corrects the astigmatism so the dot is sharper.

I'm 57 and must forewarn you younger folks you're almost certain to get presbyopia in your early 40s to 50s. I made it to 45; got up one morning and I could barely see my front sight or read a magazine.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List