Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics with a fixed front sight and astigmatism

AR Optics with a fixed front sight and astigmatism

So I had my yearly eye exam at another new optometrist and he confirmed that I do have a slight astigmatism in both eyes. Granted it's rather slight and I'm 34, but I doubt it'll be getting better as I age.

Currently I have an optic-less AR that I kind of threw together (Spikes lower, PSA upper, can't remember who made the LPK, MBUS rear BUIS) that I don't have a ton of rounds through just yet. Looking to take a carbine class possibly later this year and putting it into the role of HD carbine. It currently has a fixed A2 front sight.

I haven't looked through a ton of red dots, but in some brighter settings I did notice some blooming and starbursting. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't perfectly round either. If I had a slick top free float rail, I'd probably find an LPV and stick that on there and call it good, but it's got that pesky fixed front sight.

Now, I have a couple more stripped lowers that I'm not above simply putting together a better quality rifle (think BCM or equivalent upper with a good quality LPK) and getting an LPV. But I'm not sure how well an LPV would work on an AR that has a fixed front sight.

So I guess my questions are:

1.) With an astigmatism, is it worth going down the path of using red dots now or should I avoid them and get something with an etched reticle?

2.) Would an LPV work ok with a fixed front sight or am I better off finding a solution with a flip up front sight and relegating that upper for another purpose?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I have astigmatism in both eyes. I'm assuming it's relatively mild...but then I haven't had it checked in a long while.

My Aimpoint H2 has minor starburst effect (a couple spikes) throwing it out of perfect round. Makes not an iota of difference in its effectiveness. I absolutely love it.

My AR has folding MBUS sights which I use for lower 1/3 co-witness when desired.
    Last edited by blues; 04-19-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've got astigmatisms in both eyes and use an Aimpoint R1 (totally untactical, I know). I keep it dialed down fairly low and have no real issues. If you're leaving it on, the biggest challenge is finding a setting that's not a giant blotch indoors/in the dark while still being visible in bright light.

Some folks with astigmatisms have reported success using a red dot with rear iron sights and a full co-witness. It does seem to cut down on the starburst. Irons with a laser might be another option and as you note, a variable solves a lot of problems as long as you don't mind the weight.

With an AR with a fixed front sight, I use a lower 1/3rd co-witness on an Aimpoint PRO or a T-1. I have a slight astigmatism going on. I get the starburst effect to some extent. It isn't that much of an issue for daily usage. For those times when I need to be more precise, I flip up the rear sight and look through the rear sight as I'm looking at the dot. I've found that looking through the rear sight to see the dot causes the starburst to clean up and look much more like a dot.

With an AR without a fixed front sight, I flip up the rear sight when I need to be precise. An example would be when sighting in the optic. I asked my optometrist about this. He was able to explain the medical reason this works, but I've since forgotten what his explanation was.

Thanks for all the great responses so far, guys. Sounds like a red dot would work well enough for 0-100 yds which should be plenty.

Does anyone have experience with LPV with fixed front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    LPV, no. Fixed 4x ACOG, yes. It works ok. I find the shadow of the front sight post to be annoying and distracting, but not overwhelmingly so. Ultimately, I put an Aimpoint with a lower 1/3 mount on that carbine and moved my ACOG to a carbine with an extended rail and folding BUIS. One advantage I've read about with a RDS and fixed front is that if you ever have a dot failure, you can use the RDS as an impromptu ghost ring with the front sight to take immediate shots up close. Presumably, if you had distance and/or cover, you would have time to flip up the rear BUIS and get a better sight picture. Also, I have astigmatism and can confirm that viewing the dot through the rear aperture results in a crisper aiming dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Thanks for all the great responses so far, guys. Sounds like a red dot would work well enough for 0-100 yds which should be plenty.

I have astigmatism as well and noticed that illuminated reticles give me less distortion than Aimpoint type systems, unfortunately everyone's eye is different so you need to try them all out to see what works specifically with your own eyes. In regards to the LPV with fixed front sight it's actually a common setup, you'll see the Front Sight Post at 6:00 typically from 1x to just over 2x and by 4x it's gone with the typical 1.5" high mount. feel free to call us at 916.670.1103 if you need more assistance, we also have plenty of LPV's we can discuss the Pros and Cons of them.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

For those wondering why viewing a RDS through a rear aperture makes the dot crisper, it has something to do with limiting the number of angles the light from the dot makes it to your eye vs the shape of your astigmatic cornea.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefi...tigmatism/amp/

Try and shoot a few before you jump. They may vary a good bit. With both my son's T1's the red "dot" was a 12 MOA stripe for me at 100 yards but a dot for him. Utterly unusable for me.

Just the other day I looked through the full size Aimpoint on ASH556's slick rifle and it was a perfect red dot. I can't recall which model his was however.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Try and shoot a few before you jump. They may vary a good bit. With both my son's T1's the red "dot" was a 12 MOA stripe for me at 100 yards but a dot for him. Utterly unusable for me.

Just the other day I looked through the full size Aimpoint on ASH556's slick rifle and it was a perfect red dot. I can't recall which model his was however.
    My budget (and wife) wouldn't allow a T1 at the moment. But I could probably justify a PRO without too much resistance.

User Tag List