• XDM 3.8 Compact

0 0%
  • Sig Sauer P320 Compact

11 64.71%
  • CZ Compact

6 35.29%

Thread: IDPA - CCP: XDMc 3.8 vs P320c

IDPA - CCP: XDMc 3.8 vs P320c

Hello all. I'm a new comer to IDPA. I've partially watched a match, but never participated. I narrowed the couple of firearms I want to use to competition with in CCP down to the Springfield XDMc 3.8 vs the Sig P320c. I'm NOT considering any other pistol other than maybe a CZ compact....

So, those with experience with one or the other or both, which would you recommend and why? Both are great guns, but surely there are pros and cons for each.

Are you experienced in IPSC or something similar?

Are you a skilled pistol shooter? For example, can you do a FAST drill under 7 seconds?

If the answer to either question is no, and you are just getting started in action shooting in general, then I strongly recommend that you get whatever gun you like the best. Getting a gun that "feels right" and leads to you to practice and dry fire more is FAR more important than getting a pistol which will enable you to shoot splits .05 faster. Particularly since you want to shoot CCP, I would say to shoot the gun you actually want to carry.

I'm biased towards CZ's and don't like XD's so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Personally I shoot a P-07 in CCP and it is great. If you really want to dominate CCP you could get this gun:
    http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.c...manual-safe-39
    It is basically a compact SP-01. It should just barely make the weight limit for CCP, which should give you a slight competitive advantage since it will kick less than anything else that is legal for CCP.

I'm not a big fan of the regular CZ75 compact since it lacks a rail, but I think it would be pretty hard to beat one for a CCP gun.

The P320 is also a great gun and with its recent military adoption I'm betting it will soon have an amazing aftermarket. Both CZ's and XD's also have a great aftermarket as far as competition goes.

Buy the Sig. the options are unlimited with that gun. No way I'd buy an XD, and the CZ's just need to much for me to like them.
    i used to wannabe

I agree with Luke. In my experience, XD/XDMs are far from great guns and there are so may better choices. The 320c is a great gun--go for it if you want a striker-fired gun. The 320f is my personal preference for USPSA.

As TTT wrote, there are some good CZ options if you want a TDA.

Your investment in practice and training will be much more important than this decision.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I too would avoid the XD...simply for the fact that there are so many better guns if you want a plastic 9mm...

Also, the guys are right, the decision ultimately doesn't matter. If you want to get any sort of good, you'll buy a gun, practice a ton, find out what you like and don't like in it, and that will drive the next gun purchase....which ultimately won't matter, because you'll see guys running them at the top of the pack at your club and then go to a different club and the guys at the top of the pack are running totally different guns.

Shoot whatever gun you already own in whatever division that gun is legal for. I see a number of people wanting to buy guns for specific divisions within USPSA/IDPA with no competition experience. So they don't have anything to base their purchasing decision on besides their imagination, personal predjudices and advice of others. I guarantee after 6 matches, you will probably want something vastly different than what you thought you wanted originally.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Shoot whatever gun you already own in whatever division that gun is legal for. I see a number of people wanting to buy guns for specific divisions within USPSA/IDPA with no competition experience. So they don't have anything to base their purchasing decision on besides their imagination, personal predjudices and advice of others. I guarantee after 6 matches, you will probably want something vastly different than what you thought you wanted originally.
    I like this post.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    CCP Division guns are difficult to choose because of the size limitations and many manufacturers don't list height including magazine. In most cases the height is the issue. However, you can really never go wrong by starting with a Glock 19, S&W M&P 2.0 (4.25") with modified MA compliant mags, Springfield Range Officer Compact in 9mm, Sig Sauer 320 Compact or CZ Compact/SDP as a start. A lot of 1911 types are too tall, so double-check the height.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

He doesn't HAVE to shoot CCP if all he owns now is a full size gun for CDP, SSP, ESP.

I strongly agree with HopetonBrown. Shoot what you have.
    I bet the MD won't even care if it meets any Division for a new shooter who demonstrates safety and follows CoF directions.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List