Thread: Federal 150gr fusion/gold dot long range users? (BC questions)

Federal 150gr fusion/gold dot long range users? (BC questions)

Federal lists this projectile as having a BC of 0.414. For a 150gr soft point .308...that is...impressive...

Has anyone actually verified that this is actual and not inflated? If so, details?

Here is a picture of the projectile in question. The Meplat is 0.10", the AOL is 1.058", the length of the nose until it hits bearing-surface just forward the cannelure is: 0.630", and the length of the boat-tail section is 0.1", with the base diameter of 0.24"
    As you can see, it appears to be a very slight secant ogive design, with a "two stage" boat-tail or something, I dunno what I'd call it. Anyway, thoughts on actual G1 BC? Friend of mine said it might actually be 0.4's.

Just my 2 cents... but the G1 for a Sierra 150gr FMJ is .408 @2800 fps and above.

And their 150gr soft point , flat base has a .336 above 2600fps...

So, imho, that seems kind of optimistic to me.

I spoke with leupold and we kind of agreed 0.380 would get me close enough that environmental would matter more.

Comparing to a 155 Lapua Scenar, which has a G1 BC of .460, I would have to think that .414 may not be too far off. They are leaving the muzzle at 2800 FPS (24" barrel) which helps you shoot a little flatter and may be the magic number for that bullet.

When I hear the words long range, I think 1000 yards. Shooting for 1000 yards, that bullet may not be real consistent when going transonic. The next concern would be how consistent that bullet is compared to a match grade bullet. In my accuracy testing of the 223 Load with the 75 GD, the accuracy was impressive so you may be good in that department.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Comparing to a 155 Lapua Scenar, which has a G1 BC of .460, I would have to think that .414 may not be too far off. They are leaving the muzzle at 2800 FPS (24" barrel) which helps you shoot a little flatter and may be the magic number for that bullet.

When I hear the words long range, I think 1000 yards. Shooting for 1000 yards, that bullet may not be real consistent when going transonic. The next concern would be how consistent that bullet is compared to a match grade bullet. In my accuracy testing of the 223 Load with the 75 GD, the accuracy was impressive so you may be good in that department.
    800 yards is an absolute maximum, more thinking along the lines of 2-400 yards, with some 600 yard use.

Data I'm getting back suggests 0.332 G1, so far. Margin of error around 0.01.

User Tag List