Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sight Picture: A Discussion of the Pros and Cons of Various Holds

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    How about this. Get a set of fiber optic sights for your G34, which will probably aid you in the 99.99% of shooting you'll do. If you want to be prepared for low light gun fights, take advantage of the universal rail and put on an X300U.
    *nod*

I actually just got a Streamlight TLR-1 HL which I planned on putting on my 1911. Let me try it with the Taran sights with low-light drills in the backyard. If it works fine, I'll fire up the G34 with competition sights.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    If it works fine, I'll fire up the G34 with competition sights.
    Bob Vogel (SWAT, GM), Frank Proctor (Army SF, GM) and Mike Pannone (Delta, M) used fiber optic sights on their duty guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Bob Vogel (SWAT, GM), Frank Proctor (Army SF, GM) and Mike Pannone (Delta, M) used fiber optic sights on their duty guns.
    Among others. Roland Deschain aka Chuck, Bill Blowers, DocGKR would all be using fiber if they weren't rocking red dots. Tim Lau and Hilton Yam also are huge fans of fiber.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Most manufacturers of modern combat pistols opt for sights that give you #3. I used to use #2 with adjustable sights and noted that for many many years I was ever so slightly low at 3-5 yards on fixed sights on modern pistols. The Sig Sauer "float the dot, shoot the shot" thing first struck me and Sig Sauer, especially when you go through their armorer course will tell you that is the Sight Picture they look to achieve. Glock "Tritium" Sights are the same. Of course you can mix and match sight heights to adjust here, but factory manufacturers tend to go with #3 currently. The "drive the dot" is generally focused around 15 yard zero's.

On a Sig Sauer, Glock or HK as examples, if I use a #2 hold I am about 3/8" low at 3 yards. If I center the dot, I am dead on. I also don't pull left or low and left.

I prefer a fiber for all uses and have been doing it for at least a decade. Probably before many guys when they were active in the military or LE circles even knew what fibers were. There are many threads here and elsewhere and I have taken a rash of heat over it in typical LE / defensive discussions so I tend to avoid the topic in general. But then again I always was a closet gamer fanboi who was pushing the limits of getting kilt in da streetz.

I probably identify pretty well as a closet gamer myself (maybe not so in the closet?), but I have to disagree about the fiber sights on a service pistol. I've been in too many situations where I have had my pistol drawn in low light with plenty of light to see a subject but not enough to see the sights without the glow. Relying on a weaponlight to silhouette your sights is also a mistake in my opinion. I've trained with enough teams in low light, no light, and under NVG's to see lights fail to turn on, fail under recoil, and shooters fail to activate them under stress. Beyond that, I've also been in several situations where white light was not preferred/recommended to be used. The newest generation of HD type sights allows me to use a target focused sight picture when appropriate, similar to the benefit of a fiber optic. The trade off of not having the tritium isn't worth it to me. Testing on transition drills like el pres and blake drills from 10-25 yds in recent months has lead me to the conclusion that I don't lose any speed or drop any additional points with the fatter orange dot on an HD sight than I do with a fiber
    Last edited by Gio; 05-27-2017 at 09:20 PM.

That's great Gio, what works for you is OK. I really don't have the energy to drift on this thread and there is no lack of discussion on this topic anyway.

User Tag List