Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sight Picture: A Discussion of the Pros and Cons of Various Holds

Those are sights with Trijicon lamps. Don't know who made them. These are Trijicon HDs.
    Name:  GL101O.tag.2.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  87.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Those are sights with Trijicon lamps. Don't know who made them. These are Trijicon HDs.
    Oh....

I guess I got confused because they marketed these pistols as having Trijicon Night Sights.

_
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-15-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    Oh....

I guess I got confused because they marketed these pistols as having Trijicon Night Sights.

_
    They could be made by Trijicon, I don't know. The lamps are Trijicon.

Order a set of Dawson Chargers with the fiber front and the plain black rear. Zero the gun at 20 or 25 yards. If you don't like where your group is hitting, contact Dawson and they will give a free replacement front.

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...r-optic-front/

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Order a set of Dawson Chargers with the fiber front and the plain black rear. Zero the gun at 20 or 25 yards. If you don't like where your group is hitting, contact Dawson and they will give a free replacement front.

What he said.

Trijicon supplies tritium vials to a lot of other OEMs because they deal with the radioactive material enough to be economically viable for them. Just because it says Trijicon on the sights doesn't necessarily mean the sights were made by Trijicon, just that the tritium vials came from and were installed by them.

We'd have to see the rest of the sight set that is on your pistol to be able to tell you if they actually made them or not. If that is your actual rear sight in that picture you posted a few posts back, then it's too short to be an HD rear.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I have defaulted to a preference of Sight Image 2 and while I have tried others, this is the one I keep going back to.

Whenever I get a set of sights to zero them, I shoot a 100 drill at an NRA B8 at 25y (usually just a replacement center I printed off). I usually know when the sights are zero'd for that particular barrel and ammo when I am able to do 2 out of 3 sets of 10 round groups for 95+.

About a year back you've recommended the Taran Tactical competition sights for my G22. It was amazing, and simply, I got spoiled by it...

Unfortunately however, when I attended a tactical class, I was seriously disadvantaged during the low light stages, ie., unless I had a flashlight, I could barely make out my sights.

Now, the problem with night sights is that they have LARGE BIG DOTS that are, personally for me, not as precise (sorry, got spoiled by my competition sights).

So, I reached out to Dawson Precision, and they recommended the Precision Fixed Carry. This would have Tritium sights:

• Front: .205” tall / .125” wide
    • Rear: .225” tall / .125” wide

Any thoughts on how this will work with the G34s?

The ones on my G22 were:

• Front (Fibre Optic): .235” tall / .115” wide
    • Rear (All Black): .245” tall / .125” wide

Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-19-2017 at 08:49 PM.

How about this. Get a set of fiber optic sights for your G34, which will probably aid you in the 99.99% of shooting you'll do. If you want to be prepared for low light gun fights, take advantage of the universal rail and put on an X300U.

At the range for fun time today, no drills just hanging with friends and new shooters. Decided to do an experiment. Here are 3 strings of 5 rounds @ 25 yds offhand with G19 Gen4, Ameriglo Spartan, Rem 115 gr FMJ. Orange circle was the POA for each sight picture.

I'm tempted to say for this ammo the pistol is zeroed for #3. My actual #3 casts some doubt though.

As an aside, #2 and #3 are some of the best groups I've ever shot at 25 yds. I gotta think the lack of pressure of a drill and not worried about the perfect shot was a factor.

Name:  SightHold2.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  35.4 KB

A little arithmetic.
    If you sight your gun like the diagram in the little leaflet that used to come with American handguns, a 6 o'clock hold with center hits on a bullseye at 25 yards...

The NRA 25 yard slowfire target has a 5.32" black, so you are 2.66" "high" over the top of your Patridge sight.
    Taking .45 hardball and a sight height over bore line of .66" as an example, you will strike about an inch "high" at 10 yards, peak out 3" "high" at 42 yards, and be spot on at 72 yards.

OK, crank down the sight for a center hold, aka "no 2", aka "Marine sight picture" at 25 yards.
    You aim center, hit center at 25 yards and are never "high." At all other ranges your point of impact is below the point of aim. It takes til 36 yards for the point of impact to be as far below the point of aim as the bore line is below the sight, but drops off to 2.6" "low" by 50 yards.

The no 3 "drive the dot" sight picture is similar but more so. All your shots land under the sights.

Me?
    I like for my slow fire group to form right on top of the front sight. If I am shooting a 3" group, then I want to be 1.5" "high." Holding 6 0'clock on a bullseye, I normally hit in the bottom half of the black.
    I will pull more shots low than high when shooting fast, so I expect better hits that way.
    But I think I am the worst shot on the Internet, so don't count on me.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

For me, shooting in a civilian self defense context, the only real advantage to caring one way or the other is that my training and carry guns shoot the same way. If you might need to shoot from 50+ yards, sights that start as #1 at 7 yards have a strange sight picture at 50+. Other than that I think of it like shooting AR sights, calibrate the hold over for precision and just forget about it.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List