Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sight Picture: A Discussion of the Pros and Cons of Various Holds

My EDC is the G17 with XS Big Dot Sights. My point of aim is #2 up to 25 yards . After that it is #3 .
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Might sound odd, but: #2 for plain sights (e.g. any K-frame, various black on black post sights), #3 for anything with a big dot up front (e.g. my Glocks with various Ameriglo FO or orange over trit front with flat black rears).

In short, if there's a dot, drive it; otherwise #2.

#1 is for old people.

#1 really is a bullseye sight picture. It really sucks for defensive or action pistol use. You can compensate just fine if you're standing straight up, but as soon as you cant the gun to shoot around a barricade, your POI gets harder to predict. No one on this board seems to be a bullseye shooter, but if you want to maximize your bullseye scores, this is the sight picture to do it with. None of the other sight pictures give you the feedback on your sight alignment on the target that you need to maximize your score.

#2 is ideal for any kind of action pistol or defensive pistol shooting. The very top edge of your front sight is the most precise aiming point you have on a pistol, so if you want to be able to shoot fast using the sight and not worry about compensating for any kind of vertical offset while at the same time being able to hit precise shots like a head box at 15-25 yds, this is the only sight picture that will allow you to do that.

#3 is really only ideal for targets 10 yds and in. The problem with that is I can do everything I need to at 10 yds and in with either of the other sight pictures as well. This sight picture really suffers at 25+ yds bc the dots on sights are just too big and hide too much of the target to get any kind of shot placement consistency down range. Canting the gun around a barrier is equally frustrating to sight picture #1 and causes you to have to do some funky mental Kentucky windage if you are trying to make a precise shot.

"Sight Image 2" is how I used to do it. I wish I could still do so. (My eyes will no longer let me focus on the front sight, when it is within the rear notch. My corrective lenses are a partial, but incomplete solution.) This is why I strongly prefer weapons that "point naturally" in my hands, and have a bit of heft at the muzzle end, so I can "feel" it.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-24-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    #3 is really only ideal for targets 10 yds and in. The problem with that is I can do everything I need to at 10 yds and in with either of the other sight pictures as well. This sight picture really suffers at 25+ yds bc the dots on sights are just too big and hide too much of the target to get any kind of shot placement consistency down range.
    My goal is not to argue, but simply share another perspective. The shots below were taken with a USP9c using Trijicon 3 dots and sight picture #3, with my handloads. Now my right dominant eye is corrected to the depth of my FS, and I am using the occluded eye method. In a sense using my FS as a dot (granted rather large dot). I center my target in the dot. This was shot cold and were the only shots fired in order to verify alignment. This is also how my suppressed shooting is done, as I need to "see" through the can.

Name:  20170423_140527.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  20170423_140343.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  87.4 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Hhhmmm... Just came back from the range, and am glad that I found this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    As I learn how my pistol shoots I'm finding that as distance increases from 3 to 25 yds my hold transitions from #3 to #2 to #1.
    Same here!

At 3-yards, I go for #3. Works fine!
    At both 7- and 10-yards, #2 works fine!

Unfortunately, if I try a #2 at 15-yards (using NRA B8), POI usually ends up in the 8-ring. Once I adjust to a #1 - blade of front sight is at the end of the black area (5.5-inches diameter), I find I'm just off by 1-inch from the "X."

That being said - does a HOLD really become significant from 15-yards on? Or is this more _ME_...?

I have a Glock 19 Gen 3 (*thanks* California) with Trijicon HD sights.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advanced!!!

_
    Name:  2017-05-14 11.50.02.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  54.2 KB
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-14-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    Hhhmmm... Just came back from the range, and am glad that I found this thread...

Same here!

At 3-yards, I go for #3. Works fine!
    At both 7- and 10-yards, #2 works fine!

Unfortunately, if I try a #2 at 15-yards (using NRA B8), POI usually ends up in the 8-ring. Once I adjust to a #1 - blade of front sight is at the end of the black area (5.5-inches diameter), I find I'm just off by 1-inch from the "X."

That being said - does a HOLD really become significant from 15-yards on? Or is this more _ME_...?

I have a Glock 19 Gen 3 (*thanks* California) with Trijicon HD sights.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advanced!!!

_
    Name:  2017-05-14 11.50.02.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  54.2 KB
    I like my sights hitting the #2 sight picture. If it were me, those HDs would be hitting WAY too high for me.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I like my sights hitting the #2 sight picture. If it were me, those HDs would be hitting WAY too high for me.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I definitely would want to hit using #2, whenever possible! It is way simplier - straightforward!

However, the Trijicon HDs came with the Glock 19 Gen 3 when I purchased it via GSSF Blue Label. Should I get new sights? I believe there is no way to adjust these sights, correct?

Thanks,

PS: Even my SA 1911 MCO, which has Trijicon HDs stock "requires" a #1 hold at 15-yards! And it drives me NUTS!!!

_
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-14-2017 at 09:23 PM.

You say your Glock 19 and MCO came with Trijicon HDs. They don't, you might be confusing terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    You say your Glock 19 and MCO came with Trijicon HDs. They don't, you might be confusing terminology.
    If I might be confusing terminology, am I missing something here (see below)...?

But then, regardless, I'm still confused if they really need a 6 o'clock hold at 15-yards (and on)...

SA 1911 Marine Corps Operator
    Name:  2017-05-14 22.11.56.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  29.5 KB

Glock 19 Gen 3
    Name:  2017-05-14 22.12.19.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  19.3 KB

Regards,

_
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-14-2017 at 11:59 PM.

User Tag List