Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast/coated 147gr 9mm load data?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Yeah, I use the plunk test for the loads I use for matches but for practice loads it takes too much time

I never said I plunk test each rd. HAHAHA, I usually plunk test a few when I start then I go balls to the wall. I'm using a dillon sizer, with Redding Competition Seater and Crimper. I also have a LEE FCD I was using to try to get those Bayou 150 SWCs work but I've all but given up on those little bastards.

1.155......but I shoot RN because they are more accurate and better....so I've been told.

Out of a Glock KKM; 3.1 BE or Competion, 2.9 TG, 3.6 WSF, 3.4 AA#2.
    A71593

1.09 coal with 3.0 titegroup in a CZ P07/P09.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1.145" OAL, .379" crimp 3.9gr ETR-7 (my last 4lbs) out of my STI Trojan

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm getting some case gauge failures at 1.13 using all Dillon dies, considering a Lee U die or FCD if bumping down the COAL isn't the answer.
    1.) Might want to make sure the sizing die is as far down as it can be.
    2.) Might want to add a bit of crimp
    3.) If all else fails, Lee sizing die sizes a hair tighter and can get closer to the rim.
    4.) Lee Factory Crimp Die is nice. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    1.) Might want to make sure the sizing die is as far down as it can be. Yup, that's how it was set up, snug plus an 1/8th of a turn.
    2.) Might want to add a bit of crimp. That was done.
    3.) If all else fails, Lee sizing die sizes a hair tighter and can get closer to the rim. Got a Lee U Die ready, see following.
    4.) Lee Factory Crimp Die is nice. I like it. It worked well last night.
    #RESIST

FYI, I do use a U-die on my reloads and find it definitely helps.

Also as a general aside in response to an earlier comment about decreasing OAL, depending on the brass type and bullet size/shape, sometimes you need to do the opposite (assuming you don't do that to the point of hitting the rifling). For example, with Aguila brass and 147 gr bullets, I have to run the COAL longer as seating too deep bulges the brass right around the cannelure which causes case gauge failures.

I'm happy enough with these I ordered several thousand more of the .357-sized ones (thanks for the code Les!) but someone in SNS decided to ship me the .356-sized versions instead.

I load Bayou 147gr at 1.14" for my SA 9mm 1911. I had use an FCD for more than 50K rounds of 115gr bullets, but found with the long Bayou's I was actually swaging down the base of the bullet. This certainly isn't good for accuracy, but worse one of the headstamps, CRB I believe, was springing back at the bullet base. I could disassemble the completed round by hand.

I now just use a Redding Taper/Crimp die and a Lee Undersize die at the first station. It does seem to make more sense to get the case shaped-up in the beginning versus squeezing things down at the end. I'm moving away from the 147's. No problem with the bullet, but feeding the first round I tend to get a stutter. The 124gr TCG Bayou bullets at 1.12" feed better and loading as soft as I do for steel challenge I can't really tell the difference.

I am loading the Bayou 147 flat points to 1.125 COAL. This works in my Glocks and my short chambered CZ's. I had to load the Bayou 135 round nose to 1.100 to work in my CZ's.

I use a EGW U die to size and a Dillon crimp die. I used to use a Lee Factory Crimp die but it caused me problems, but I don't remember what. I use the regular crimp die to just straighten out the bell.

User Tag List