Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie 45 ACP questions

Newbie 45 ACP questions

Newbie to 1911s

I just got a SA Range Officer which I am going to use for shooting at the range (not for carry).

I know nothing about .45ACP ammo

My first question would be can someone give me the run down on types of ammo for the 45ACP and what works for paper target practice, steel, indoor etc...

I would be interested in know what brands work well for practice as well as competition shooting like IDPA or even a simple range shoot (husband/wife, Father/Son)

Waiting like a sponge for your knowledge.
    Randy P.

About Me

Randy,
    I have shot about two thousand rounds of CCI Blazer (aluminum case) .45 ACP in my M&P 45.

If you look, you can find it for about $15 per 50 rds online.

Brass cased ammo is slightly more expensive, if you're a reloader or if your pistol likes brass.

With pistols, I've found that reliability and cost trump accuracy everytime. You cannot come close to exploring accuracy limits of your pistol and most of us cannot, period.

Find something cheap that runs and buy a lot of it up front.

As far as self defense ammo, read this.
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It will really depend on what your weapon likes. 230 grain FMJ (full metal jacket) ammo is the standard .45 ACP loading and most 1911's tend to work fairly well with it. .45 ACP loads exist in a wide range of bullet weights and profiles, but the 230 grain "hardball" or "ball" (nickname for FMJ) load is going to be the majority of the bulk pack FMJ ammo you'll encounter from retailers.

Any of the 230 hardball brands will work fine for range purposes. You may find that some brands of ammo are more accurate or consistent in your weapon than others and so those brands might be what you want to use in competition. Match-grade .45 ACP ammo is always an option for that purpose as well.

I don't know how much you know about the types of bullets that are out there. Some examples:

Full Metal Jacket:

Semi-Wadcutter:

You'll find semi-wadcutter .45 ACP loads if you look around online. They have the advantage of being a bit cheaper since the bullets are made entirely of lead (no brass jacket on the outside of the lead as in an FMJ round) but they don't always work as well in 1911 handguns as the standard 230 grain FMJ load.

All good info thanks guys...any one have good websites to purchase ammo from? Just as I was typing this I got an email from Midway USA for my "birthday" discount but I bet their prices aren't the cheapest.

I would probably not be able to purchase more than 500 rounds at a time if that makes a difference.
    Randy P.

About Me

My favorite round is based a 200 grain lead semiwadcutter.
    DeltaKilo posted a pic here. The semiwadcutter is on the left.
    It will cut a nice clean circle in your target which makes it easy to see. You may be able to find someone locally that you can buy manufactured rounds but I find 45ACP to be very expensive and save a ton by purchasing the bullets and reloading them into completed rounds.

For indoor use I shoot a plated bullet from Rainier or Berrys.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    One of the unique joys of being a shooting nerd is the ammo hunt. A tool I've found useful is the gun-deals ammo page maintained by a few people on AR15.com:

http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php

When I need ammo in a hurry I always check there to see who has the best prices.

I buy alot of ammo from Palmetto.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/45-ACP.php

Flat $12 shipping per case helps also.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    If you're buying over 10 cases, you should call to place your order.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I buy alot of ammo from Palmetto.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/45-ACP.php

Just order 500 rounds...thanks for the info.
    Randy P.

About Me

User Tag List