Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: RAT blade question

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Actually, I have been involved in that as well as involved in having something made overseas.

I have bought knives handmade in the US at the $500 mark. I have no issue with that at all. I also know what the costs are of doing something production overseas and it is nowhere near that. I can safely say that the profit margin on a Taiwan made RAT is probably around 400%. Being a dedicated capitalist, I have no issue with that at all. The market should always decide what is a fair price.

What I object to is the obsfucation of the simple question of where the knife is made. Even on this thread, apologists were trying to get as much attention away from the question as possible ("the packaging was made in Taiwan"? Seriously? What other item has package material marked that way? Absolutely nothing. Talk about straw grasping). Even emails that say they have two lines, but there is no mention of that on their website of or FB page? That is deliberate. I felt before the price for the blade was a tad high. Now, I know it is.
    I completely agree that the issue of honesty about where something is made is a completely separate issue from where it is made. Openness with this issue avoids a lot of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    As a super mod on perhaps the world's largest knife forum for the past 18 years or so, this is an issue that comes up often and imho shouldn't need to.

All makers, whether custom or production just need to be honest with their customers and potential customers.

It is not complicated to tell the truth about the source of the materials nor the country where the knife is built or assembled. Any attempt to circumvent providing these details, such as whether a knife is hand made, mid-tech, or straight off a conveyor belt...or what the steel is... is tantamount to lying and deceiving the customer.

We have had folks over the years present production knives as custom, overseas built knives as domestic, and everything else under the sun. If I have sufficient evidence of the malfeasance, they are outed and banned from the site.

I, personally, will not patronize those who lie and deceive. If I own one of their knives when I find out, it is quickly removed by selling, given away or discarded. Life's too short to support cheaters.

I hope the folks in this thread with skin in the game get the answers they seek.

Agreed, as long as they tell me the truth I can decide whether I want it. Any deception sours the deal and the sellers reputation.

Might check out a Spyderco Street Bowie designed by Fred Perrin. VG-10. Made in Japan. The sheath is 'meh' IMO, but at a street price for under $100 a guy can go with custom kydex -

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...owie-Black/129

I think it's fair to assume that Kyle Defoor is using the american-made RAT blade. He's friends with the guy that makes them, so you'd have to imagine that he is not getting a run of the mill blade.

This discussion has been very helpful though. Since the price is equal, I've definitely swung towards the Dynamis blade over this.

FYI

Headhunter Blades will be running a $150 off sale on the Rat and other blades on 5/28 & 5/29. The website is announcing a Memorial Day sale but does not detail the discount yet. However Headhunter Blades announced the details on their FaceBook page.

User Tag List