Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RAT blade question

The cheapest packaging I've found has all been US manufactured. More so, one doesn't buy packaging if it has Made in Taiwan stickers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I wasn't addressing the steel. I was addressing your comment about how an elite American warrior would feel having his name associated with the knife. I don't think it's our place to question given the information I posted a link to.
    I replied on my phone and lost most of my post last night. Let's try this again.

I'm familiar with all of that. Fully understand they were friends, teammates, trained in sayoc, etc. Once something is shared in the public domain it becomes open to debate, question or comment. I personally don't think it's out of line to raise the question given the face of this blade is such an advocate for Made in USA gear and there are significant questions about the country of origin based on blade material, thread sizes, images or lack thereof. I can tell you this has all been questioned within the Teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirnyx View Post
    I replied on my phone and lost most of my post last night. Let's try this again.

I'm familiar with all of that. Fully understand they were friends, teammates, trained in sayoc, etc. Once something is shared in the public domain it becomes open to debate, question or comment. I personally don't think it's out of line to raise the question given the face of this blade is such an advocate for Made in USA gear and there are significant questions about the country of origin based on blade material, thread sizes, images or lack thereof. I can tell you this has all been questioned within the Teams.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, I received the following email/screenshot from an anonymous RAT customer:

Attachment 16216
    First thing that comes to mind after reading that was they charge $500 for a made in Taiwan AUS8 production blade, what does the USA made version cost?!?!
    Last edited by Mirnyx; 05-03-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirnyx View Post
    First thing that comes to mind after reading that was they charge $500 for a made in Taiwan AUS8 production blade, what does the USA made version cost?!?!
    Everyone that bought it either knew they were getting AUS8, or didn't know what steel type was in it and bought it anyway.

Should the knife be $500? No, it should be like $100 max. But people bought it anyway and were happy with it (at least until they found out this).

Somewhat related, but for defensive blades, edge retension really doesn't matter. Toughness does. IF you're paying over $200 it is nice to have a quality steel, but AUS 8 will be fine for stabbing a dude. You don't need crazy edge retention because for a defensive blade, it shouldn't be used unless you're being assaulted.

That being said, even if it was made of CPM 3v (probably the best steel for a defensive blade), it would be over priced. There really are no true "custom" blades unless you give the manufacturer the specs. They still use a machine to make blanks, and the gridning, polishing, and sharpeneing are done by hand, even on production folders.

I have always loved the design of this knife for its intended purpose. But I always thought it was way over priced. We all spend our hard earned money the way we see fit, but I am with Trajan, that is a $100.00 dollar knife. I actually like AUS8 a lot but that is too much in my opinon for a good but very average steel that probably was made in Tiawan.

I am not the best interwebz guy so I may have missed it, but can anyone see on their website where there is any mention of two separate lines of blades? All I can find on their website is the page about the RAT itself and it's price of $500. I don't see where there is an option to buy a blade made in Taiwan. I am assuming that a production blade made in Asia of cheaper steel will cost much less than the $500 price, but I am apparently missing that part.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Mine came with no such sticker. I think I paid $350 on special for the sets I have. Considering that I received 2 bladeriggs sheaths and a nice training blade I wouldn't not feel completely ripped off even if I found out that it was made in Taiwan.

Maybe he just switched it up. Was he knife purchased via warriors way or 3rd party?
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 05-03-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Has anyone actually seen a Made in the USA claim made or is there just an assumption based on price?

Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Has anyone actually seen a Made in the USA claim made or is there just an assumption based on price?

http://instagram.com/p/BODZwDRDvy-/
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List