Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Outdoor Load ?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't go with a 9mm as a back-up to my Benelli, loaded with Brenneke slugs, in griz country.
    Hi @GJM - I'll have to go back through the older posts. IIRC you had experimented with BB flat hard-cast and we're unhappy with feeding reliability. (I think this mighta been outta a G20 ?) But maybe the Penetrator bullet loads as loaded by Underwood are a good way to go now.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 04-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Hi @GJM - I'll have to go back through the older posts. IIRC you had experimented with BB flat hard-cast and we're unhappy with feeding reliability. (I think this mighta been outta a G20 ?) But maybe the Penetrator bullet loads as loaded by Underwood are a good way to go now.

I will save you the trouble of looking.

A few years back, my wife and I tried Glock 22 pistols with KKM barrels and hard cast (can't remember whether BB or Underwood) and found them unreliable.

Tried 10mm hard cast (think Underwood) in a few 1066/1076 pistols with unacceptable reliability.

I believe SLG tried Super BB hard cast in a USP 45, with unsatisfactory reliability.

My USP FS 45 and HK45C (but not USP C) run BB 230 FMJ-FP Super loads reliably.

Everything I have tried Underwood penetrator loads with the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator bullet (.40, .45 and Super) runs reliably. That is multiple Glock .40 pistols, USP FS and Compact .40, USP FS .45, HK45C.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks @GJM for the product research ! You likely just saved me a ton of time, hassle, & money

I'll get some of those Penetrator loads from Underwood. Will also have to look around for the bullets, if offered as a handloading component. (When dealing with an outsoorsmans load used in remote country, I don't see this to be of concern in the way day-to-day carry ammo might.)
    Last edited by SamAdams; 04-18-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Thanks @GJM for the product research ! You likely just saved me a ton of time, hassle, & money

I'll get some of those Penetrator loads from Underwood. Will also have to look around for the bullets, if offered as a handloading component. (When dealing with an outsoorsmans load used in remote country, I don't see this to be of concern in the way day-to-day carry ammo might.)
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't go with a 9mm as a back-up to my Benelli, loaded with Brenneke slugs, in griz country.
    If it's 9mm or one or the other of these, oh year. Fiocchi's pointy 124 gr FMJ. https://www.bearmageddonnews.com/201...e=facebook.com
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I lived a life of semi-voluntary simplicity for several years, and my Glock 19 was my "trail gun" along with my "everything else gun." I believe Doc had declared barrier blind duty ammo on "the list" as adequate for things like cougars and black bears. I didn't loose sleep when I carried Gold Dots in the woods in Oregon and Washington, but we've no grizzlies except in the far north of Washington, and then not in abundant numbers.

I did hedge my bets and buy some of Double Taps 147 brass FMJ-FP. Like GMJ mentioned, most FMJ ammo is made to just be cheap not penetrate, but in informal test I did on railroad ties, wood etc, they held together quite well and penetrated deeply. Unlike some other boutique ammo, I could afford to shoot enough of them to determine they were reliable.

Regarding the hard cast lead, wide meplat rounds in autoloaders, I've done some preliminary handload work with a G20, and I think what I'll probably arrive at is that you can do it, but you can't seat them out long enough to get really scorching velocities. That's still in the test and evaluation phase though. I haven't shot most of the commercial offerings (Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc) in large quantities, and what I have shot hasn't impressed me in reliability and/or accuracy.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Also, while I'm sure a barrier blind JHP would do great in a broad side shot into the thorax of our (usually) 200 to 350 lb black bears around here, the one time I found myself contemplating shooting one because it was getting saucy (as opposed to sneaking up on one to shoot it and eat it) it was head on to me and on all fours. It wound up scampering off without getting shot, but after my little AAR of that incident, I realized that short of a shot to the brain pain, there were some pretty good sized bones, like the scapula and such in the way of the bullet getting into anything important, hence the 147 grain FMJ-FP
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Also, while I'm sure a barrier blind JHP would do great in a broad side shot into the thorax of our (usually) 200 to 350 lb black bears around here, the one time I found myself contemplating shooting one because it was getting saucy (as opposed to sneaking up on one to shoot it and eat it) it was head on to me and on all fours. It wound up scampering off without getting shot, but after my little AAR of that incident, I realized that short of a shot to the brain pain, there were some pretty good sized bones, like the scapula and such in the way of the bullet getting into anything important, hence the 147 grain FMJ-FP
    If you don't mind - would you mind saying what your guess is as to what caused the black bear to act so aggressively ? Mother with cub? Desensitized bear fed by people's leftovers in garbage cans ? Etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I lived a life of semi-voluntary simplicity for several years, and my Glock 19 was my "trail gun" along with my "everything else gun." I believe Doc had declared barrier blind duty ammo on "the list" as adequate for things like cougars and black bears. I didn't loose sleep when I carried Gold Dots in the woods in Oregon and Washington, but we've no grizzlies except in the far north of Washington, and then not in abundant numbers. I did hedge my bets and buy some of Double Taps 147 brass FMJ-FP. Like GMJ mentioned, most FMJ ammo is made to just be cheap not penetrate, but in informal test I did on railroad ties, wood etc, they held together quite well and penetrated deeply. Unlike some other boutique ammo, I could afford to shoot enough of them to determine they were reliable. Regarding the hard cast lead, wide meplat rounds in autoloaders, I've done some preliminary handload work with a G20, and I think what I'll probably arrive at is that you can do it, but you can't seat them out long enough to get really scorching velocities. That's still in the test and evaluation phase though. I haven't shot most of the commercial offerings (Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc) in large quantities, and what I have shot hasn't impressed me in reliability and/or accuracy.
    Idaho has had Grizzlies as far south as Coeur D'Alene. After the fires up in the pan handle I wonder how many moved into eastern WA?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List