Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Outdoor Load ?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In my USP 45, I routinely carry at least one magazine loaded with .45 Super penetrator ammo, and another with Hornady Critical Duty JHP ammo. Pretty easy to switch out depending upon circumstances.
    Critical Duty in general across several calibers seems to be no slouch in the penetration after a barrier ie windshield tests.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    I settled on the Buffalo Bore 147 grain Hardcast for wilderness use and 124 grain Ranger Ts the rest of the time. I have some reservations about the hardcast in a Glock and the price is astounding. Sometimes I wonder if simple 147grain FMJ wouldn't be nearly the same since shot placement is critical with a small caliber and large animal.

Most threats in my AO are rabid small mammals, dogs, humans, maybe lions and really rarely black bears, so I am best served by the Rangers and rarely carry the hardcast rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I settled on the Buffalo Bore 147 grain Hardcast for wilderness use and 124 grain Ranger Ts the rest of the time. I have some reservations about the hardcast in a Glock and the price is astounding. Sometimes I wonder if simple 147grain FMJ wouldn't be nearly the same since shot placement is critical with a small caliber and large animal.

Most threats in my AO are rabid small mammals, dogs, humans, maybe lions and really rarely black bears, so I am best served by the Rangers and rarely carry the hardcast rounds.
    This would be the time for Chuck Haggard to weigh in, but as I understand it, most FMJ loads are built for economy and not penetration through tough things like a bear's skull. I don't think it is settled science as to whether a hard cast load like the Buffalo Bore is compatible with a Glock OEM barrel. I would consider buying a box or two of the Underwood penetrator load with the Lehigh bullet, as they are a monolithic solid.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Interesting. Every black bear, cat, feral dog, etc. I've encountered thus far has quickly made itself scarce. On the other hand I have encountered a couple of raccoons with distemper right in the middle of the trail fairly near urban areas, and they had to be put down before someone else got hurt. Not kidding, in one case I helped local LE shoo away a well meaning lady who wanted to "put it in a box and take it to the vet." Once her and the young kid were away, he took the shot.

Here we are worried about the big stuff, and forgetting the pesky medium sized omnivores can be just as dangerous under certain circumstances.

I will differ on one thing; as a scientist and having personally handled hundreds of rattlesnakes/copperheads/cottonmouths/etc., I have yet to encounter a venomous snake in a wild setting that couldn't either be walked around, or flipped off the path with a long stick. Maybe different around a rural residence where pets or kids could encounter a snake if it's allowed to stay, but away from places like that... I've been baffled more than once by watching some otherwise tough customer completely lose his cool over a 36-inch snake. And at least half of what I've witnessed has been over a mis-identification of a harmless species.
    While we were out scouting for the coming bow season, one of my buddies ran into a black bear momma with a cub. She held her ground. My friend just slowly backed out of there and she didn't bother him. Most of the black bears I've come across have run like Hell after realizing I was a human.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 04-18-2017 at 09:51 AM.

I have had similar experiences with brown bears -- most go the opposite direction. It is the ones that do not, that we need to be concerned with.

]I don't think it is settled science as to whether a hard cast load like the Buffalo Bore is compatible with a Glock OEM barrel. I would consider buying a box or two of the Underwood penetrator load with the Lehigh bullet, as they are a monolithic solid.
    I've had mixed results with cast bullets in Glock OEM barrels. Some loads were more accurate than the best jacketed load I could find for a specific barrel. It's key to fit the bullet diameter to the individual barrel to avoid keyholing, even as close as 25 yards. Not sure what if any effect that would have at bear-defense distance, but I can't imagine that low levels of stability would do anything good for penetration.

Lehighs sound like a better idea.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have had similar experiences with brown bears -- most go the opposite direction. It is the ones that do not, that we need to be concerned with.
    I was stalked by a black bear while bowhunting for deer. Once the wind shifted he caught my scent and ran off. I didn't know he had been stalking me till he ran off and I found his fresh tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Hello everyone - I've gone to 9mm Glocks for my carry guns. For the outdoors I've often used 44 and 45 revolvers or 165 GD 40 out of a G20 10mm with 40 conversion barrel. - - When outdoors, I might spend no more than 20% of the time in griz country. 80% of the time the biggest critters are black bears and mountain lions. No, I'm not really worried about them.
    I've been thinking about lightening things up and using GD 147gr 9mm out of one of my G19s while in black bear/mountain lion country. What do you think of this for the application I've outlined ? Thanks
    Not to be a smart ass but in your scenario with the possible exception of an aggressive black bear you will probably be OK with your setup 80% of the time the other 20% in Grizzly country????

It's all about the stakes not the odds

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Not to be a smart ass but in your scenario with the possible exception of an aggressive black bear you will probably be OK with your setup 80% of the time the other 20% in Grizzly country????

It's all about the stakes not the odds
    I wouldnt go with the 9mm in griz country.

I use revolvers in 44 mag, 45 Colt, or 454 Casull out there.

Ive read with great interest in the past, GJM's experience with 45 Super & various penetrating bullets outta semi-autos up in Alaska. I haven't gone this route yet though. I may do so when in big bear country.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 04-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    I wouldnt go with the 9mm in griz country.

I use revolvers in 44 mag, 45 Colt, or 454 Casull out there.
    Hell, I wouldn't go with a 9mm as a back-up to my Benelli, loaded with Brenneke slugs, in griz country.

User Tag List