Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Outdoor Load ?

Back when I lived in Wyoming, I hand loaded 9mm+P brass, and 147gr Gold Dots to 1150fps from a Sig P226. Never used it on an animal, but it would punch through 1/8" steel flooring(like those used in stairs), 8"x 8" pressure treated wood, and fully expanded while penetrating through 6 1-gallon jugs of water. I never came across a service caliber and load that had the level of penetration with a JHP. Full power .357magnum loads on the other hand would leave it in the dust.....
    Last edited by KhanRad; 04-27-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Speaking of outdoor loads, yesterday my wife and I went heli hiking in the hills with our dog. I ended up drawing my PX4C twice, when we got charged by a cow on the way out on our hike, and a smaller bull on the way back in. No shots fired, as they turned, but it got me wondering about this thread and whether to load penetrator loads even in lower 48. Think a Gold Dot will penetrate a cow's skull with a frontal shot?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Speaking of outdoor loads, yesterday my wife and I went heli hiking in the hills with our dog. I ended up drawing my PX4C twice, when we got charged by a cow on the way out on our hike, and a smaller bull on the way back in. No shots fired, as they turned, but it got me wondering about this thread and whether to load penetrator loads even in lower 48. Think a Gold Dot will penetrate a cow's skull with a frontal shot?
    Jeez. Fucking cows. Glad you're ok. I've been knocked off my mountain bike and down a hill by a cow, and had a scary bullfight using my bike as a shield--just to mention a couple of bad bovine encounters.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I would. They may not have the determination to destroy or eat you like a bear, or the meanness of a moose, but could seriously ruin your day or life out of comparatively clumsy annoyance at your presence. A large animal is a large animal when it comes to stopping them from acting against your best health and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I would. They may not have the determination to destroy or eat you like a bear, or the meanness of a moose, but could seriously ruin your day or life out of comparatively clumsy annoyance at your presence. A large animal is a large animal when it comes to stopping them from acting against your best health and interest.
    Agreed. I'll have my 10mm with Extreme Penetrator loads anytime I venture into the "woods." I'll have mags with traditional bonded JHP's handy, but people aren't always the top of the food chain outdoors.

My wife points out that the small Arcteryx pack she hikes with, holds this perfectly.

Name:  IMG_5734.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  101.1 KB

Did somebody say cows? The large feller on the right of my drive is Mr. Bull, he is about 1800 lbs. Perhaps I should rethink the 124gr Gold Dots.
    Name:  20170414_114816.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  44.0 KB

On the grill is the offspring, with next year's on the horizon.
    Name:  20170415_174557.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  101.2 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

My wife points out that the small Arcteryx pack she hikes with, holds this perfectly.

Name:  IMG_5734.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  101.1 KB
    Now, if a reliable 10mm version existed (for less than the cost of my current vehicle) that would be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our cows Sunday were free ranging out on remote BLM land. Am open to any advice on what to expect and do when they come at you with purpose.

I called Dakota Tactical today, and they said the 10mm models are not currently being made due to lack of proper barrels.

Usually, waving your arms, approaching them and yelling gets their attention, and they balk, and turn and go. Usually. Once in a while, the ones that spend most of their life surviving in the sticks didn't get the memo, and they don't turn and go. If it were me, Id do a shot in the air or whatever, then evaluate the results. Id probably give a cow more leeway, unless they acted totally determined to be stupid.

The possible upside of having to dispatch a cow, you may be able to pay off the owner and keep the beef.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-01-2017 at 09:39 PM.

User Tag List