Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Outdoor Load ?

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    The Hornady 135 gr +P Critical Duty is what I'm using as woods ammo right now and we have a lot of black bear but I am more concerned about a pack of hogs. Has anyone done any serious testing with the Lehigh Penetrator?
    MAC has a video on his channel where he gel tests the Lehigh bullet in 9mm but then shoots a feral hog that had already been killed and was propped up. He shot it broadside, he said through the shoulders but I thought the entrance seemed a big far back for that but in any case he did not get an exit from it. And that hog was not 20+ inches across.

Edit: Here it is. It was a test of the 90 grain 1500 fps load, not the Penetrator. It still did 20" in calibrated gel but not so much on the hog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJcJ8LQFbQ&t=873s
    Last edited by JHC; 04-25-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IMO it's mostly anecdotal re glancing blows that don't get it done. Years ago I read (and cannot find it after looking repeatedly) on line of AK Troopers testing service pistols on preserved brown bear heads the DNR saved up for them. All the service pistol calibers penetrated the brain if struck through the mouth or snout and all and even .44 magnums failed if hit glancing on the skull.
    So now we gotta hit an angry bear who's running full out at us, with murder on his mind, in the snout ?

Damned

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    So now we gotta hit an angry bear who's running full out at us, with murder on his mind, in the snout ?

Damned
    Pretty much. IIRC GJM has reported that when he took a bear defense course at Gunsite they used a 3x5 card as the target!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Pretty much. IIRC GJM has reported that when he took a bear defense course at Gunsite they used a 3x5 card as the target!
    Actually, they had these neat paper targets of a brown bear, and the upper CNS was depicted as a circle between the nose and eyes, when facing straight on. That obviously varies by angle.

This might help folks visualize the upper CNS:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Very flat sloping forehead. Not much of a target up there eh? Bear skulls are deceiving from the outside is what I've often read.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-25-2017 at 09:19 AM.

This is a good reminder for me to check out my bear spray canisters - expiration dates, overall condition, etc

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA>

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnFwr2ycgXk>

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA>
    Love all the penetration he is so distressed about, for my use in the field around large animals.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Love all the penetration he is so distressed about, for my use in the field around large animals.
    I agree with your comment, and disagree with his closing assessment of the common fmj loads as being equivalent as extreme penetrators. The fmj stuff isn't designed with bullet integrity in mind on harder targets.

User Tag List