Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Outdoor Load ?

It's not uncommon to put cows down with a .22lr round through the brain. If you can hit the brain box it shouldn't be that big a deal.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That's a good article.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That's a good article.

Snippet:

In most cases, the most humane and cost effective way to put down a dairy cow is with a firearm.

Handguns should be fired from a range of 2 to 3 feet of the intended target, and calibers ranging from .32 to .45 are recommended for putting down dairy cattle. The .22 caliber handgun is not recommended for mature cattle.

Solid bullets are recommended over hollow points because they are more likely to penetrate the skull. Hollow points are not recommended because they fragment on impact and are less likely to penetrate the skull, which is necessary to cause destruction of brain tissue sufficient to cause death.

Rifles may be required when it is necessary to euthanize an animal from a distance. General rifle selections for euthanizing dairy cattle include .22 magnum, .223, .243, .270 and .308.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Snippet:

Solid bullets are recommended over hollow points because they are more likely to penetrate the skull. Hollow points are not recommended because they fragment on impact and are less likely to penetrate the skull, which is necessary to cause destruction of brain tissue sufficient to cause death.
    I agree, and...

Some of the info in that article regarding JHP ammo may come from people who bought the cheapest box of holler points at The Walmart.

There's a big difference between cup and core and say, a Speer Gold Dot.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

A local butcher at a slaughtering house always used a .22 rifle to the head at close range on hogs, cattle, etc. They dropped like a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    A local butcher at a slaughtering house always used a .22 rifle to the head at close range on hogs, cattle, etc. They dropped like a rock.
    Through the skull? I'd figure putting one in the ear would be a better way to reach the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    That was experience too. A contact shot with .22 long out of a Cooey. (I never saw a .22LR cartridge until much later, like '82 or '83.) Like a rock.
    Last edited by Wendell; 05-05-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  47.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Wow! Right between the eyes could be a big mistake!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List