Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Outdoor Load ?

9mm Outdoor Load ?

Hello everyone - I've gone to 9mm Glocks for my carry guns. For the outdoors I've often used 44 and 45 revolvers or 165 GD 40 out of a G20 10mm with 40 conversion barrel. - - When outdoors, I might spend no more than 20% of the time in griz country. 80% of the time the biggest critters are black bears and mountain lions. No, I'm not really worried about them.
    I've been thinking about lightening things up and using GD 147gr 9mm out of one of my G19s while in black bear/mountain lion country. What do you think of this for the application I've outlined ? Thanks

Some food for thought from Larry Mudgett's site. http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/h...-in-the-woods/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't think it much matters what you use for the cats, but I would want to be able to penetrate the brain for bears. My experience is that the Underwood load with the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator bullet has fed in everything I have tried, on account of its FMJ like bullet profile.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting thread.

I've been wondering about switching back to Speer GD 9mm 124 +p as a 'do it all' round for two or four legged critters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Interesting thread.

I've been wondering about switching back to Speer GD 9mm 124 +p as a 'do it all' round for two or four legged critters.
    Like Larry Mudgett in the article JHC linked, my number one concern is two legged critters. I'd call it good with +P Gold Dots or +P HST.

In my USP 45, I routinely carry at least one magazine loaded with .45 Super penetrator ammo, and another with Hornady Critical Duty JHP ammo. Pretty easy to switch out depending upon circumstances.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't think it much matters what you use for the cats, but I would want to be able to penetrate the brain for bears. My experience is that the Underwood load with the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator bullet has fed in everything I have tried, on account of its FMJ like bullet profile.
    Interesting. I've been staying away from boutique ammo, but have actually liked the Underwood 45 Colt and 44 Special ammo Ive tried. I'll have to take another look at their Penetrator semi-auto loads

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Some food for thought from Larry Mudgett's site. http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/h...-in-the-woods/
    Interesting. Every black bear, cat, feral dog, etc. I've encountered thus far has quickly made itself scarce. On the other hand I have encountered a couple of raccoons with distemper right in the middle of the trail fairly near urban areas, and they had to be put down before someone else got hurt. Not kidding, in one case I helped local LE shoo away a well meaning lady who wanted to "put it in a box and take it to the vet." Once her and the young kid were away, he took the shot.

Here we are worried about the big stuff, and forgetting the pesky medium sized omnivores can be just as dangerous under certain circumstances.

I will differ on one thing; as a scientist and having personally handled hundreds of rattlesnakes/copperheads/cottonmouths/etc., I have yet to encounter a venomous snake in a wild setting that couldn't either be walked around, or flipped off the path with a long stick. Maybe different around a rural residence where pets or kids could encounter a snake if it's allowed to stay, but away from places like that... I've been baffled more than once by watching some otherwise tough customer completely lose his cool over a 36-inch snake. And at least half of what I've witnessed has been over a mis-identification of a harmless species.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Here we are worried about the big stuff, and forgetting the pesky medium sized omnivores can be just as dangerous under certain circumstances.
    Our neighbor's new puppy was attacked -- not sprayed -- by a rabid skunk in their yard in daylight last year. The pup had to be put down.

Raccoons are damn vicious once they stop being cute, and we've had a couple of outbreaks of rabies in the fox population. Those worry me more than the local black bears.
    Last edited by peterb; 04-18-2017 at 06:27 AM.

San Mateo county California: Mountain lion snatches dog from foot of bed.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...417-story.html
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List