Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    GP introduced the world to double stack 9s. Some of the more modern stuff pulled the industry towards ambi controls, like it or hate it. 45 Tactical introduced red dots to factory guns, which like it or not it is the future. The 509 will hopefully raise the bar that people/agencies accept for reliability and give the guys at HK a reason to stay on their toes.

Are you suggesting FN stop trying to make things better?
    TomV,
    Respect for posting here. For those of us already invested in the FNS platform, could you comment on the backwards compatibility of the 509 in terms of parts and holsters? e.g. will an FNS hoster work with the 509 or can an FNS be "upgraded" to 509 specs internally? Or can 509 parts be used to keep our FNS's running? (I'm assuming the 509 signals the end-of-life for the FNS product line.)

Thanks!
    oss117

oss117,
    FNS lives on as we still have many customers that like and use that platform. FNS holsters will usually not work for the 509 due the the new slide profile which makes room for the future but my 509 Kydex holsters retain an FNS and FNS-c very well. Also many 509 changes are going right into an FNS but you can't really upgrade to 509 without the new top end and grip which is basically a new gun. I hope that helps.

I have two FNS9L pistols which I like in many respects and enjoy shooting I also have an FNS9c which I do not enjoy because I cannot get the mags to drop freely (has to do with my large hands and the ambi mag release). I am glad to see FN with a new offering although I doubt I will want to add this new gun to the FNS guns I already have. I have not shot the guns enough to break anything yet but I got two because I was worried about lack of spare parts/armorers available. One is none and two is one and all that. Hopefully this new offering has stepped up the trigger quality game for FN as it seems the VP9 and Sig 320 have moved past where the FNS9 is perched in terms of feel, reset, etc. but 5.5-7.5 pounds is a significantly sizeable range for trigger pull weight IMO on a handgun in 2017.
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

GP introduced the world to double stack 9s. Some of the more modern stuff pulled the industry towards ambi controls, like it or hate it. 45 Tactical introduced red dots to factory guns, which like it or not it is the future. The 509 will hopefully raise the bar that people/agencies accept for reliability and give the guys at HK a reason to stay on their toes.

Are you suggesting FN stop trying to make things better?
    No Sir, just my lame attempt at humor - my impression of the relative excitement most retail consumers as well as us cognoscenti-ish schmucks have about anything FN has done in the way of handguns since their "5.7mm uber alles" era. You bring up very valid points of innovation, but right or wrong, FN handguns haven't received nearly the acceptance in the marketplace that FN long guns have enjoyed.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-21-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    No Sir, just my lame attempt at humor - my impression of the relative excitement most retail consumers as well as us cognoscenti-ish schmucks have about anything FN has done in the way of handguns since their "5.7mm uber alles" era. You bring up very valid points of innovation, but right or wrong, FN handguns haven't received nearly the acceptance in the marketplace that FN long guns have enjoyed.
    Not saying I would have disagreed when I came here almost 4 years ago. I honestly had to go buy an FN pistol before my interview. Hopefuly this gun will help change that.

Site Supporter
    Well, you can't say FN isn't tying to market the 509, just heard a commercial for the FN 509 on Sean Hannity's radio show.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Well, you can't say FN isn't tying to market the 509, just heard a commercial for the FN 509 on Sean Hannity's radio show.
    I've heard the same commercial twice now and I think I've seen a TV spot for it too. I got an email from Apex Tactical today showing a trigger for the 509. Maybe FN is trying to be ahead of the curve on this one. I hope they have great success with it. Having said that, a G19 sized variant would be nice. And a thumb safety option. And a 5 inch variant.

They've been running TV ads during NHL playoff games.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I greatly appreciate a no-BS perspective from someone actually involved with the design and production of a new weapon rather than the wild-eyed supposition that surrounds most product launches.

Thanks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I heard it on the Rush Limbaugh show yesterday.

User Tag List