Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Zing!
    Thank you, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.

More serious note: I wonder if they changed their policy with this model, I suspect not but a man can dream. EDIT: Not that I'd get back on board, but it never hurts to see a change for the better.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 04-17-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    "Glock Killer"
    Isn't that the APX and P10C?!?!?!?!

The original 9mm G4s were oversprung, but they got that issue sorted out fairly early on. Life cycle is 7,500 rounds for a 9mm Gen 4 spring IIRC.

Wonder if FN still wants you to send in the 509 every 2,000 rounds for an "Armorer's Inspection"...
    ROFLMAO....Here we go again!!!!
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

I'm sort of down with the "more options are better" train of thought, but, at the same time, just don't get this one. I'm ASS-u-me-ing that FN is just trying to peddle this as a way to recoup costs inherent in producing it for the MHS trials.

I'm sure they'll sell some. Not to me, but someone will buy them.

The original 9mm G4s were oversprung, but they got that issue sorted out fairly early on. Life cycle is 7,500 rounds for a 9mm Gen 4 spring IIRC.

Wonder if FN still wants you to send in the 509 every 2,000 rounds for an "Armorer's Inspection"...
    Sadly we pulled that from line out of the manual and only let actual shooters write the manual, but who did not love that good dumpster fire? Lifecycle on the new spring is significantly higher than the 7,500 count.

I can help with any constructive questions for the next few days. Then it's back to the shadows...
    Last edited by TomV; 04-17-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    Never tried an FNS, but have heard they were decent. I just hope FN gets its name out there better. For a company that's been around that long and has made some great weapons, not a lot of people even seem to know about them.
    The FNS shoot well, good sights, good trigger and good grip / texture, however, here have been reliability and safety issues including LE agencies have reported malfunctions with WML attached, which go away when WML is removed and the ambi mag release causing mags to eject when carried concealed. The largest LE user I'm aware of, the Baltimore County, MD PD, has had several issues, most significant being an FNS L which discharged in the holster when the holstered gun struck a door jamb.

People don't know about FN handguns because they have never fully supported marketing and customer service for them.

Hopefully the 509 represents a turn around on both counts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    Sadly we pulled that from line out of the manual and only let actual shooters write the manual, but who did not love that good dumpster fire? Lifecycle on the new spring is significantly higher than the 7,500 count.

I can help with any constructive questions for the next few days. Then it's back to the shadows...
    The 509 is listed as DAO, does it use a fully tensioned striker or a partially tensioned striker ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The FNS shoot well, good sights, good trigger and good grip / texture, however, here have been reliability and safety issues including LE agencies have reported malfunctions with WML attached, which go away when WML is removed and the ambi mag release causing mags to eject when carried concealed. The largest LE user I'm aware of, the Baltimore County, MD PD, has had several issues, most significant being an FNS L which discharged in the holster when the holstered gun struck a door jamb.

People don't know about FN handguns because they have never fully supported marketing and customer service for them.

Hopefully the 509 represents a turn around on both counts.
    - Tested with all major weapon lights from Insight, Streamlight, and Surefire with all the hottest duty ammo. Commonly misunderstood fact, WML make guns run fast, so we shot a bunch of RA9TA and other hot duty ammo through guns with all the various lights and made sure reliability exceeded our goals, which greatly exceeded most requirements.
    - Added guards around the mag catch to prevent things like seat belt buckles and other objects from hitting the "outside" mag catch. People who know me know I'm a fan of levers for full ambi catches. But this is America, and Americans like Bud and their push buttons, just ask HK. So the solution is to add a small guard that helps shield the button from bumping into things.
    - Worked extensively, including a design change or two, with the major duty holster maker to ensure the gun would be good to go and reduce these holster growing pains. One day over whiskey, I can discuss why I am a huge fan of pushing the WML industry to smaller diameter bezels. And one day when I am king, we will drastically change all together how pistols and lights work together but that is a completely other story.

But yes HCM, hopefully this is a good opportunity for a fresh start for FN with pistols. I am a major proponent for raising the reliability bar, particular for those guns in a duty role. Hopefully this gun will help do that.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Man that's a lot of Certified FNH Armorer inspections.
    First actual LOL of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The 509 is listed as DAO, does it use a fully tensioned striker or a partially tensioned striker ?
    It's a precocked striker similar to a Glock in that you first depress the trigger safety, push up the striker block out of the way, and as you continue pushing rearward the sear is driven down via the disconnect cam and thus releasing the striker. Glock calls it Double Action so we kept with the nomenclature people are used to hearing.

User Tag List