Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Received the RCS Morrigan yesterday and the FN 509 today. Went and burned through 150rd of training ammo and 50rd of carry to see how it would function.

200rd total, 150 training FMJ 124gr 9mm NATO from MEN (essentially a very hot almost +P training round), 50 124gr Gold Dot. Zero issues. I was concerned about riding the slide stop and the slide not locking back but because of design it was a non issue.

Accuracy was on par with anything else i have shot minus a glock 34. I did not bench the 509 today so this is all off hand accuracy. I spent the first 100rd getting familiar with the 509 and learning POI at various distances (15ish yards being the sweet spot for someone who uses top of blade as opposed to dot.) Last 50 was dot torture shot with the 50 Gold Dot. Keeping all rounds within the black on a B8 was easily capable out to about 18y. Past that my groups opened up, but i was rushing to beat the sun at that point. Moving faster than i would have liked on DT i managed a modest 45 at 3y. Once i become more familiar with the 509 that will get much better as its more than capable of it.

Handling- the gun flat out handles like a dream. Recoil was very manageable and sights snapped back on target quickly and naturally. This is a nice feature for me since i run hotter ammo when training. The grip texturing is perfect. Its aggressive in hand but not on clothing. Someone will say its too aggressive, but i like my grips like lava rock. I will prolly end up adding either a texture area or ledge for my support hand thumb like im used to. The front and rear serrations make slide manipulations a dream. They are aggressive in both cut depth and angle. Grip angle is perfect. The handgun point naturally compared to the Glock 17 grip. I find i have to add a grip force adapter to the glock to get the same effect.

Sights- sights are okay. Standard 3-dot photo luminescent. I will black out the rear and probably in time change the front out to a fiber optic as thats what i prefer. They ARE metal though with a great ledge on the rear sight. So thats a plus. (Side note- if RMRing the handgun the sights are tall enough to offer a lower 1/5th co-witness. So that can save on long term cost.)

Controls- ambi controls are nice. After getting used to them i can see what i have missed being a left handed shooter shooting right handed pistols. Reload time was on par with my glock 17, but were just as smooth as if i had a magwell on the 509. Upon inspection the magwell is slightly beveled. I experienced no stiffness with the controls when using either hand (i try to work both hands as much as possible.). The trigger is gritty. No denying it. Is it horrible? No. I dont notice it when im shooting, but when doing dry fire and really focusing on it i do. Reset is positive and audible (if thats your thing). Is it Apex quality? No. Its on par with any other duty style handgun i have shot as of late.

Overall so far- i really like this handgun. I can tell minimal changes will be needed unlike with Glock. If it continues to perform i will probably pick up another and have one RMRd. Unless i come across huge mechanical failures i can see this replacing my Glocks. No doubt about it. Keep in mind this is initial and only after 200rd. Time will tell.

Site Supporter
    Anyone able to explain why the 509 is based off the FNS Compact instead of the full-size FNS?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Anyone able to explain why the 509 is based off the FNS Compact instead of the full-size FNS?
    I believe I may have discussed this in other places but here you go. The FNS Compact is an improvement on the FNS and the 509 continues that development to about as far as you can take the platform. In pistols, it’s generally smarter to build small and scale up vs build big and hope you have the room to go smaller.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    I believe I may have discussed this in other places but here you go. The FNS Compact is an improvement on the FNS and the 509 continues that development to about as far as you can take the platform. In pistols, it’s generally smarter to build small and scale up vs build big and hope you have the room to go smaller.
    Tom, thanks for the info. I guess I wasn’t aware previously that the FNS Compact wasn’t just a chopped full-size.

I doubt you’ll be able to answer this but are there any plans to expand on the 509? Like maybe a long slide version? Long slide optics ready?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Any pictures of the Dawson’s? I’d like to see what their standard offerings look like on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I doubt you’ll be able to answer this but are there any plans to expand on the 509? Like maybe a long slide version? Long slide optics ready?
    Can’t talk about what’s going on behind the curtain but those are some decent ideas. I personally don’t see much of a benefit in long slides with optics unless you really need the ballistics. But if that’s the case you’re probably shooting at something on 4 legs.

Can’t talk about what’s going on behind the curtain but those are some decent ideas. I personally don’t see much of a benefit in long slides with optics unless you really need the ballistics. But if that’s the case you’re probably shooting at something on 4 legs.
    [emoji106]

There was supposed to be a comma between optics and long slide but...a long slide optics ready would be a good idea. Something set up like a Q5 so it could be shot in production and carry optics. I like how you think [emoji3]
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Anyone milling these for a RMR yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Anyone milling these for a RMR yet?
    ATEI
    Agency Arms
    CNC Holsters
    Parker Mountain Machine

User Tag List