Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    After watching these videos, i think that submerging a handgun in water is something to avoid. Since the water stage is done first, i would like to see a similar test with the water stage either removed or moved to the end of the test.
    Not criticizing your comment, curious about it. What do you think that would change? I have always thought that he completely deletes the lube as soon as the test starts, especially because he sticks with clp.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Not criticizing your comment, curious about it. What do you think that would change? I have always thought that he completely deletes the lube as soon as the test starts, especially because he sticks with clp.
    I was thinking of three things. If the gun is lubed, water may change how well the lube works (i think you are thinking the same thing). My next thought is the firing pin channel being filled with water. Once a firing pin channel is filled with water, will the water drain out or will it remain? Does this vary gun to gun? If i can put the last thought into a question, how does water interact with the other foreign test material? Can water cause the other matter to stick in place? Can water change the material a little bit?

Dropping a gun in water may cause water to go just about everywhere inside the gun. I think the water test is significant because it may change the lubricity in a negatve way and hinder movement of the firing pin.

Natually, it bothers me when he cleans the gun with water between stages. Water is always present.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 06-16-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Anyone who trusts the big army to make the choice off of what is "best" probably never served in the military. On your second point, no gun is perfect but all brands/fan boys think their guns are "perfection" or "best". If you want to discount the video that's fine but don't rib on others for taking notice when a pistol fails basic "reliability testing". Also high round count classes are great, went to quite a few during my time in the Marine Corps. I have also shot 700 rounds through a glock 19 in one day, is that high round count? Not sure, as " high round count" matters on who you ask. With all of that said and as I previously stated, I wouldn't use this as a reason to sell a gun or buy a gun. Just another thing to look at when discussing a pistol. No real idea why you made it personal by assuming I was insinuating Glock was best and the comment about the high round count class. They had failures during the test also, although, not nearly as many as other modern striker guns tested. If I wanted "perfection" from the tests I would get a Rex, but I have no interest in that gun.
    Not my point at all as I own a G19 and a VP9, so I speak from hands-on experience, not from watching a youtube video
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Not my point at all as I own a G19 and a VP9, so I speak from hands-on experience, not from watching a youtube video
    So no one else's opinion or testing is valid? We can no longer make decisions about a guns ability or any subject matter because we don't own or conduct the test ourselves? I'm sorry but your statement makes no sense to me.

I think the tests that are most valid are the high round count tests that TLG did and Ernest currently does. That shows what the pistol will do long term doing things it was meant and designed to do. They're still sample of one examples.

The MAC torture tests are interesting because it puts the pistols through things that they might encounter at random on a really really bad day. They're much less relevant, however, due to the non-scientific nature of the test, sample of one, and the fact that you're having a really bad day if you're encountering water, sand, top soil, AND mud all in the same setting.

That all being said, I'll let other people beta test my stuff for me for now and go with more or less proven designs. So for me, for now, that means I'll stick with my Glocks, SIGs, and M&Ps. If something else happens to fill a role better in some form or fashion that makes it worth jumping ship to, then I'll do it, but it REALLY has to make it worth it at this point.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I think the tests that are most valid are the high round count tests that TLG did and Ernest currently does. That shows what the pistol will do long term doing things it was meant and designed to do. They're still sample of one examples.

The MAC torture tests are interesting because it puts the pistols through things that they might encounter at random on a really really bad day. They're much less relevant, however, due to the non-scientific nature of the test, sample of one, and the fact that you're having a really bad day if you're encountering water, sand, top soil, AND mud all in the same setting.

That all being said, I'll let other people beta test my stuff for me for now and go with more or less proven designs. So for me, for now, that means I'll stick with my Glocks, SIGs, and M&Ps. If something else happens to fill a role better in some form or fashion that makes it worth jumping ship to, then I'll do it, but it REALLY has to make it worth it at this point.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Agreed, I was actually just reading through ToddG's endurance test on his 1911. Great data.

First post and figured I would post my initial impressions of the 509 that I picked up last week.

I grabbed a Raven Morrigan and my first impressions, just carrying aiwb around the house to get a feel for it. It conceals very well for a full size grip with just a polo shit.

I have only been able to get out to the range once since purchasing it, due to life (bar exam and moving) but I was able to put 152 rounds through it.

Ammo:
    - Winchester Nato 124gr: 120 rounds
    - Federal Hydra Shoks 124gr: 10 rounds
    - Freedom 124gr Reman: 22 rounds

No malfunctions to report. The gun fits my hand very naturally, which helped with making consistent and repeatable hits into a 3x4 card at 10 yds.

The trigger in mine has a bit of initial take up that is a little gritty. However the grittiness is smoothing out nicely and does not interfere with my shooting. The break is very smooth. It is not a light break like a 1911 trigger but not heavy compared to a standard Glock trigger.

Once get the chance I will shoot it for groups (how well I can shoot it for groups) out to 25 yds.

Still waiting on the special promotion to get 3 free magazines but once I get those in I hope to shoot at some local matches.

Also debating whether to run it through the 2,000 round challenge.

But more status updates and pictures to come.

- Wynn

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynn615 View Post
    First post and figured I would post my initial impressions of the 509 that I picked up last week.

I grabbed a Raven Morrigan and my first impressions, just carrying aiwb around the house to get a feel for it. It conceals very well for a full size grip with just a polo shit.

I have only been able to get out to the range once since purchasing it, due to life (bar exam and moving) but I was able to put 152 rounds through it.

Ammo:
    - Winchester Nato 124gr: 120 rounds
    - Federal Hydra Shoks 124gr: 10 rounds
    - Freedom 124gr Reman: 22 rounds

No malfunctions to report. The gun fits my hand very naturally, which helped with making consistent and repeatable hits into a 3x4 card at 10 yds.

The trigger in mine has a bit of initial take up that is a little gritty. However the grittiness is smoothing out nicely and does not interfere with my shooting. The break is very smooth. It is not a light break like a 1911 trigger but not heavy compared to a standard Glock trigger.

Once get the chance I will shoot it for groups (how well I can shoot it for groups) out to 25 yds.

Still waiting on the special promotion to get 3 free magazines but once I get those in I hope to shoot at some local matches.

Also debating whether to run it through the 2,000 round challenge.

But more status updates and pictures to come.

- Wynn
    Welcome!

If you can afford it, I'd love to read that 2K challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Went to my LGS contemplating purchasing one of these.

I adore the looks - very... purposeful.

It feels GREAT in the hand - not like a 1911; not like a P30 or VP9 and not like the P10C. All of those pistols feel "awesome" to me and they are all different. Add the 509.

Dry firing it I am not in love with the trigger but it's a fighting pistol so I can live with that. Would it be better if the trigger were IDENTICAL to a tuned 1911? What firearm would not?

Enough on that.

I like the aggressive stippling. I wish it were just as aggressive all the way up to the slide release.

17 rounds? Cool.

Recessed barrel crown? NIICE!

The magazine release.

Something is wrong. On the left side one must push the mag button all the way flush to the frame for it to release the magazine. The right side worked but seemed a bit too sensitive.

Once the magazine release issue is worked out (it was present on three pistols) I will be interested.

If the other LGS could obtain a rental I would like to compare and contrast it to the VP9 and P10C.

We are blessed to have such choices. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I correct that the 509 is a partially tensioned design like the Glock and P10-C?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List