Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Anyone know if it takes FNS mags? They look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    Sadly we pulled that from line out of the manual and only let actual shooters write the manual, but who did not love that good dumpster fire? Lifecycle on the new spring is significantly higher than the 7,500 count.

I can help with any constructive questions for the next few days. Then it's back to the shadows...
    Repeating quote without comment...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    Anyone know if it takes FNS mags? They look the same.
    I read somewhere (M4C maybe) the FNS mags will work if you change the base plates to the 509 mags.

Picked one up today for cheap at the LGS, they gave me a great deal.

Anyone know who has holsters available for these? JMCK I know does, anyone else reputable?

Shot a FLAWLESS 50 rounds through it today ��. My impressions are very favorable. Shot a 2" group at 25 yards off hand, which is on par with my G17 w/KKM. Trigger was gritty at first but actually cleaned up after the first mag. I like the controls and the sights are great for a stock gun (luminescent and steel). Good magwell that is easy to hit. The texture is really good for a stock gun. My CZ P-07 holster fits it, although I'll be ordering something else for it soon. All in all, I think it's.... a polymer SFA. All these guns from reputable manufacturers now are great. All of us shooters are winning at the moment, so many solid options.
    Last edited by Kirk; 04-29-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I liked my fns and was really excited for a new version. The slide looks good and I bet it shoots well. But man that grip has a serious stipple identity crisis. Looks super busy.
    The grip on the FNS is just overdone IMHO, like this one is. I sold my FNS-40 for two reasons, one of them is I'm getting out of .40, and the other, main one was that grip, are people's grips so weak that they need all the excessively aggressive grip surfaces? If I really liked the gun and had planned to carry it, I might have considered getting the sandpaper out and toning the "pyramids" down a bit, well, actually, a lot. But I have a lot of other guns with much more comfortable grips I don't have to sand down, so off it went. Because I got it so cheap, I was able to break even on it. Since the 509 looks to have the same over the top grip texture, I won't be a customer for it. The "sandpaper" grips of the Taurus PT111 G2 and other similar grips are all the texture I could ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    The grip on the FNS is just overdone IMHO, like this one is. I sold my FNS-40 for two reasons, one of them is I'm getting out of .40, and the other, main one was that grip, are people's grips so weak that they need all the excessively aggressive grip surfaces? If I really liked the gun and had planned to carry it, I might have considered getting the sandpaper out and toning the "pyramids" down a bit, well, actually, a lot. But I have a lot of other guns with much more comfortable grips I don't have to sand down, so off it went. Because I got it so cheap, I was able to break even on it. Since the 509 looks to have the same over the top grip texture, I won't be a customer for it. The "sandpaper" grips of the Taurus PT111 G2 and other similar grips are all the texture I could ever need.
    I think the real question is are people's hands so soft that they can't deal with a decent grip texture? When your 400 rounds deep in a practice session, it's 90 degrees out, and your hand are covered in sweat it's nice. Never shot a 509, I have shot a FNS, didn't care for it, but didn't think the grip texture was overly aggressive.

Well, I thought the old S&W "cheese grater" grips from 40 or so years ago were over the top too, even when I had heavily callussed hands and fingers from working on cars for a living. Hey, if we all liked the same guns, there wouldn't be all different kinds with grips ranging from smooth to FNS. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a more heavily textured production gun than the FN ones..

Site Supporter
    I prefer an aggressively textured grip. Every advantage I can get is an advantage. I prefer Pachmayr grips on most of my 1911s and Gen 4 Glocks are preferable to the 3rd gen to me.

Neither are so aggressive that they grate my hands, but I can maintain a positive grip in rapid fire strings.

Most shooters don't grip the gun well enough and unlike upping your grip strength, something you can do quickly and without a significant risk of injury is getting a gun with more aggressive texture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Apex trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I inquired as to the definition of 'stupid' - basically modification, or shooting over pressured loads.
    FWIW the reps answer doesn't line up with my CS experience, I had no mods other than talon grips and I shot factory ammo from reputable manufacturers, never even ran steel case through it like any other self respecting pistol enthusiast.
    Not trying to be disparaging to FNH - I won't support the company but I'm over the experience and don't have a vendetta.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Ah, so the 2000 round inspection interval on the 509 has been definitively confirmed in another thread. Interesting comparison with vehicle maintenance.
    Nope I think you are misunderstanding.

FNH pulled the "2,000 round inspection" wording from the 509 manual as per stated by Tom earlier in this thread - the old FNS warranty thread died before the announcement of this new pistol.

The last tidbit of relevant info from the old thread was my final conversation in which I was told I should brick the whole pistol and buy a new one because at 16,000 rounds I would "continue to have problems" if I kept shooting it with the new slide and old frame.

I went back on my decision and had them brick my gun - not out of spite, I was just financially trashed from hopping on the HK train and I wasn't going to buy a new pistol just to turn around and immediately sell at a loss on gunbroker.

Tom earlier has stated that this new pistol has a much higher service life and maintenance cycle, I don't think it would be proper to disclose what the suggested maintenance cycle was because he has not said it himself.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 05-02-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List