Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I have a blemished LE version being shipped to my LGS that were offered to firearms instructors/range officers for a reduced price. It should arrive next week and I hope to try it Easter weekend.
    I received my 509 right after Easter and have only managed two short range trips of 180 rounds total. Ammo was Federal XM9001, S&B 124 white box military contract, and Federal aluminum case 115 grain from Wal-Mart. If this gun is actually a blem, there is no discernible evidence of it. Several other instructors at work have purchased these as well and have stated the same thing regarding the "blem" status.
    The trigger is gritty on the takeup and release but is slowly improving. I suspect it will smooth up after some more rounds downrange. No problems of any sort and I managed to get more hits on the torso sized steel plates at 25 and 50 yards than with the G2 G19 with Ameriglo I dot sights I have had and shot for years. Quite enjoyable and would probably be a good duty handgun if parts/armorer support are made more available for institutional users.
    My understanding is that Brinks has adopted the 509 as its standard handgun for its armed security people. It would be interesting to see what kind of support was in the contract.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 04-24-2018 at 01:52 PM.

With these apex trigger kits that are supposed to come out this summer I’d buy one. The FN striker guns always had way heavy triggers and no good way to fix it.

Still concerned about the Left
    Side magazine release...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Still concerned about the Left
    Side magazine release...

It requires a concentrated effort to use. We rejected it for duty use primarily because of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    It requires a concentrated effort to use. We rejected it for duty use primarily because of it.
    I was surprised how hard it was to use the magazine release on the version I tried as well, so I'm sorry to hear that other people had the same sort of experience. Did you find it stiff because of the springs and such or was it your fingers and the ambidextrous design? I found that the springs were not bad or anything like that, but when I was gripping the pistol the ambidextrous magazine release kept hitting my middle finger while trying to press in, preventing me from keeping both a firm grip on the gun and releasing the magazine, I had to give up one or the other.
    Last edited by arcfide; 09-01-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I really enjoyed the round of handguns spawned by the MWS contract and FBI contract. Whatever you ended up landing on as your favorite (for me the Smith M2.0s) it was nice to get a wave of new stuff (APX, 509, 2.0, Gen5, 320).

I liked the 509 well enough, nice stock sights especially, I just liked the APX and 2.0 better and FN's questionable history of backing their products long term shook it out for me. I also agree that the magazine release was funky.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    I was surprised how hard it was to use the magazine release on the version I tried as well, so I'm sorry to hear that other people had the same sort of experience. Did you find it stiff because of the springs and such or was it your fingers and the ambidextrous design? I found that the springs were not bad or anything like that, but when I was gripping the pistol the ambidextrous magazine release kept hitting my middle finger while trying to press in, preventing me from keeping both a firm grip on the gun and releasing the magazine, I had to give up one or the other.
    My FNS compact is the same way as I believe it's the same design. Allegedly the original FNS had an issue with the left side magazine release dumping the mag while inside holsters or against people's bodies. As a result, they redesigned it for the 509 in FNS-C. It's not a deal killer for me, although I still think the P320 and the new M&P are better guns.

The 509 Tactical addresses the issues:

(1) Magazine Release
    (2) Slide Catch/Release

The trigger is heavy but crisp.

The reset is longer than a lot of the latter day striker fired pistols but it is absolutely serviceable.

Very accurate pistol - that could be more accurate with a better trigger.

Very soft shooting, too!

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I really enjoyed the round of handguns spawned by the MWS contract and FBI contract. Whatever you ended up landing on as your favorite (for me the Smith M2.0s) it was nice to get a wave of new stuff (APX, 509, 2.0, Gen5, 320).
    Funny you say that. Add the VP9, and those were the 6 we evaluated. In order, they ranked:

320/2.0 (the chief had to break the tie based on the armorer and trainer recommendations)
    G5
    VP9
    APX

Cost difference between the top 3 was $20, capacity, weight and dimensions virtually the same. We used the 320C Gen2, 2.0C 4.0", & G19G5. We expect to replace them in 10 years.

Major concerns, likes and dislikes of each:

Light trigger on the 320, concerns it will be replaced as the MHS and discontinued, and then the recall. Trigger is mitigated with training and personal responsibility. Recall fixed the drop issues, and we won't use the military ball ammo. I don't see the 320 being discontinued. Everyone liked the ergos, trigger, sights and accuracy.

Only our frequent shooters or competitors liked the 2.0's grip texture... everyone else thought it was too rough. Most thought the yellow bar required for takedown was stupid and unnecessary. We're going with a 9mm, so the issues with the 40s won't matter. Everyone liked the multiple included back straps and much improved trigger.

Non Glock shooters didn't like the angle or trigger and had a hard time adjusting to the gun. Glock shooters were split about the changes in the G5. Everyone agreed it was...a Glock.

The only complaints about the 509 were the multi- textured grip, although some liked it, and the deal killer mag release. Everyone said it would have beaten the Glock with an easily depressed release. Everyone agreed it was one of the most accurate and natural pointing guns in the eval process. Long term support and the gun being discontinued were concerns.

Most agreed the VP9 was over engineered (compared to the Glock & 320) and had too many grip options. It was accurate and had one of the better triggers. Those that follow the industry were concerned about long term support and HK customer service.

If there was a clear winner, it was the APX's position in last place. From the ridiculous processes to disassemble and change grip panels, the useless slide serrations, the unknown reason why the safety plunger protruded through the top of the slide, to the top of the rear grip being too narrow for everyone, no one liked it. We also had a mag that wouldn't load; after disassembly we found the spring was in backwards. Even then, they were the hardest to load.

On the bright side, all 6 were 100% reliable.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    Funny you say that. Add the VP9, and those were the 6 we evaluated. In order, they ranked:

320/2.0 (the chief had to break the tie based on the armorer and trainer recommendations)
    G5
    VP9
    APX

Cost difference between the top 3 was $20, capacity, weight and dimensions virtually the same. We used the 320C Gen2, 2.0C 4.0", & G19G5. We expect to replace them in 10 years.

Major concerns, likes and dislikes of each:

Light trigger on the 320, concerns it will be replaced as the MHS and discontinued, and then the recall. Trigger is mitigated with training and personal responsibility. Recall fixed the drop issues, and we won't use the military ball ammo. I don't see the 320 being discontinued. Everyone liked the ergos, trigger, sights and accuracy.

Only our frequent shooters or competitors liked the 2.0's grip texture... everyone else thought it was too rough. Most thought the yellow bar required for takedown was stupid and unnecessary. We're going with a 9mm, so the issues with the 40s won't matter. Everyone liked the multiple included back straps and much improved trigger.

Non Glock shooters didn't like the angle or trigger and had a hard time adjusting to the gun. Glock shooters were split about the changes in the G5. Everyone agreed it was...a Glock.

The only complaints about the 509 were the multi- textured grip, although some liked it, and the deal killer mag release. Everyone said it would have beaten the Glock with an easily depressed release. Everyone agreed it was one of the most accurate and natural pointing guns in the eval process. Long term support and the gun being discontinued were concerns.

Most agreed the VP9 was over engineered (compared to the Glock & 320) and had too many grip options. It was accurate and had one of the better triggers. Those that follow the industry were concerned about long term support and HK customer service.

If there was a clear winner, it was the APX's position in last place. From the ridiculous processes to disassemble and change grip panels, the useless slide serrations, the unknown reason why the safety plunger protruded through the top of the slide, to the top of the rear grip being too narrow for everyone, no one liked it. We also had a mag that wouldn't load; after disassembly we found the spring was in backwards. Even then, they were the hardest to load.

On the bright side, all 6 were 100% reliable.

That sounds like a very intelligent selection process that ended up giving you guys some really cutting edge equipment in the best caliber. Kudos for an agency that cares that much. My brother’s department got new Glock .40s for one reason: they were free and everyone was used to them. Admittedly you can do a lot worse than a Gen4 G22 with Gold Dot 180s, by I really wish they’d upgraded to a new 9mm platform

Very surprised the VP did so poorly. The one I had for a while was just great. Though I traded it away because the trigger was lighter and smoother than I was comfortable with for a serous gun, so I do get it.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List