Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 enters the market...

Lets leave M&P out of it since they were never really in the running for anything and pretty much unanimously rejected by LE, Sig already carved out their piece of the market with the 320 in the first 3 years and it will continue to grow, maybe enough that it becomes the dominant pistol for LE as well as the next M9 in 36 months or so, I applaud FN for taking a hard look at a pistol that failed to gain any significant market share in any segment in the FNS and trying to make it better, but I doubt the 509 will succeed anywhere the FNS did not, the trigger is still it's biggest handicap, especially when tested alongside the competition, I'm sure it will sell commercially in conservative numbers and a company like FN ensures it will stick around despite luke warm sales. That leaves the APX which I personally believe is the dark horse in the race thats coming from behind on the outside gaining speed as it goes.
    Last edited by CanineCombatives; 08-01-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    I wanted to like FN but I see them constantly creating and dropping pistol and mag designs. (I REALLY liked the FNP)
    Constantly changing? The 509 is just another model in the line. Like your employer Sig also has many models in the line, some also redundant. Gluuck has constantly changed thru four generations. Your employer changed the 320 only about a year in if I recall correctly. Now the M&P is changed. The FNP was improved upon. The mag changed, so what, a mag is a consumable with a definite duty life. Whats FN guilty of? Improving first?

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Lets leave M&P out of it since they were never really in the running for anything and pretty much unanimously rejected by LE, Sig already carved out their piece of the market with the 320 in the first 3 years and it will continue to grow, maybe enough that it becomes the dominant pistol for LE as well as the next M9 in 36 months or so, I applaud FN for taking a hard look at a pistol that failed to gain any significant market share in any segment in the FNS and trying to make it better, but I doubt the 509 will succeed anywhere the FNS did not, the trigger is still it's biggest handicap, especially when tested alongside the competition, I'm sure it will sell commercially in conservative numbers and a company like FN ensures it will stick around despite luke warm sales. That leaves the APX which I personally believe is the dark horse in the race thats coming from behind on the outside gaining speed as it goes.
    The M&P has always, until recently, been the most viable competitor for the not-glock position. Constant quality issues and design tweaks* has left people and organizations going other guns. However, that doesn't mean the M&P hasn't enjoyed substantial sales; there are lots of agencies using the M&P.

*Glock does this too but they lie and obfuscate better.

You mention the trigger not being great on the 509. I thought it was supposed to be good. But I've been reading mixed reviews on the 509 and APX triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
    Constantly changing? The 509 is just another model in the line. Like your employer Sig also has many models in the line, some also redundant. Gluuck has constantly changed thru four generations. Your employer changed the 320 only about a year in if I recall correctly. Now the M&P is changed. The FNP was improved upon. The mag changed, so what, a mag is a consumable with a definite duty life. Whats FN guilty of? Improving first?
    I haven't worked for SIG in a few years and if you think I agree with every decision they've made, you're delusional.

The base 320 is still the same gun, minor parts changes within a line (or generational changes of 30+ years IE: Glock) isn't the same as the FNP to FNX change within the short time it existed. How long will the simultaneously produce the FNS and 509. Seems a lot like what S&W and Ruger have done with their pistol lines (good idea), without the benefit of the FNS ending up in the <$400 market.

FN is a great company that makes some really cool stuff, but they've never been able to quite make their pistols "click" with either organizations or individuals. If they can change that with the 509, more power to them. But I'm just pointing out what I see in the market based on historical parallels; right now, I see these other guns as the same as choosing a Browning BDM back in 1992.

you're delusional.
    Thank you for reminding me why I had discontinued frequenting this forum. Its full of pompous academics who love to thrust their verbal judo about with arrogant disrespect to anyone who doesn't agree with their opinion.

Thank you for reminding me why I had discontinued frequenting this forum. Its full of pompous academics who love to thrust their verbal judo about with arrogant disrespect to anyone who doesn't agree with their opinion.
    He was talking about SIG and himself approving SIG's decisions. Reading helps but it it still bothers you, oh well.

I haven't worked for SIG in a few years and if you think I agree with every decision they've made, you're delusional.
    #RESIST

I believe it is self-evident that PF sucks and mods are shit.

But I'll throw it out there anyway as a PSA.

Wow, sorry everyone. Did not mean that to go 0-60

Wow, sorry everyone. Did not mean that to go 0-60
    You're fine, carry on.
    #RESIST

Constantly changing? The 509 is just another model in the line.
    Srs question; besides the 509, what other pistol lines do they have? The fns, fnx, and the 5.7 correct?

They've had 3 different service sized, 9mm/40 cal pistol over the last 10 years that had different parts (not that it mattered, getting replacement parts was practically unobtanium and no one made aftermarket parts) AND different magazines (I think the fnx and fns had different mags, but were semi-interchangeable).

That's definitely not the way to create a user base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Since I had trouble with one magazine, I decided to buy an FNS magazine (which has the same magazine body but different floor plate). I switched out the floor plates and it works just fine.

- Wynn

User Tag List