Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Secruity camera question

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Quick look at the last 4 activations on my Ring... last one was 21 seconds and the three before that were 29 seconds each..

Would be nice to have a setting that records up to 5 minutes (or more) for an ongoing conversation. When my drunk-ass neighbor came stumbling over to admonish me for putting his empty trash cans in the middle of his driveway (which I did not do, this time) on a Thursday night, after the trash was collected on Tuesday morning, the video only captured some stumbling but ended a few seconds after I opened the door and missed all the good stuff. #missedopportunity
    I should have mentioned that my Ring is wired.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Gah! Can't edit my post.

Nest without a subscription gives you 3 hours of recorded video. You dont get some other features, but thats not bad for a free package.

The cheapest $5 a month or yearly at $50 (4.16 a month) is 5 days worth of video plus all the other things like facial recognition.

I am sure I will get a free trial to get me hooked.

Recently folks at MDShooters have uploaded Ring and Nest videos from homes in Baltimore showing people getting mugged by gangs of guys right on the street. Its crazy. Be safe out there folks!

I also have my ring pro set to mask out areas I don't want to detect motion. It doesn't work. It records everything even the Ups truck driving down the road

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That makes sense.... kind of I suppose.

My nest is technically battery but I have the solar option so I'd sure like to have more control myself. I hate when tech thinks it's protecting me from myself and puts limits like that on the software side. if I want to change the batteries 2x/week that should be up to me.
    So I realize that above I said "Nest" when I should have said "Ring", since I have the Ring cams.

Evidently the cutting out is a thing across most manufacturers when you go battery.
    https://thewirecutter.com/blog/what-...amera-missing/

It's pretty much too late for me as I'm not going to bag the Ring cams and switch to a different brand, but it you're expecting continuous recording or automatic, immediate, re-start if motion continues, you're not going to get that with Ring battery cameras right now.

I have one wired Ring cam, a floodlight cam, but I need to mess with it a bit more to see how the recording cycle works. My main complaint right now with that camera is that we have it horizontally mounted under the eave and the camera adjustment is pretty limited which basically limits me to a downward view.

Revisiting this again...

For those that may be thinking of purchasing the Ring Floodlight Cam...

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but in Florida it's common to have floodlights at each corner of a home, with the plate mounted horizontally to the underside of the eave. I see now that none of the pictures online show this mounting method for the floodlight cam, and since I already had two Spotlight Cams I didn't think it would be an issue. The Spotlight cam allows you to install the mounting arm either rightside up or upside down to allow you to mount it to either a horizontal or vertical surface. The Floodlight Cam doesn't have this option.

I discovered all of this only after paying an electrician to do the install and then trying to set the thing up. The view that I get from the cam is virtually useless to me because it points too far down and can't be tilted further up.

Just an FYI for anyone considering one of these.

Cam/light base looks like it uses standard 1/2" threaded fittings (1/2-14) used in electrical and plumbing. There is likely a threaded+coupled solution out there. Easy route might take cannibalizing another white outdoor light fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Cam/light base looks like it uses standard 1/2" threaded fittings (1/2-14) used in electrical and plumbing. There is likely a threaded+coupled solution out there. Easy route might take cannibalizing another white outdoor light fixture.
    Possibly. Will require re-wiring, and general fiddle-fuck, at best.

Not something I was looking to engage in with this product, hence the electrician.

I'm considering a move away from Ring. My primary reason is that the spotlight cam that I have at my gate, attached to a solar panel, causes consistent problems. First, it was erroneously reporting that the battery door was open, when in fact it was not. This then means that it refuses to charge, record, or do anything else. Sent it back, got a replacement. The replacement has never actually charged from the solar panel, which is annoying but I frankly haven't had the patience to mess with it. Now, today, I replace the battery in the thing (because, you know, it won't charge off the goddamn solar panel) only to have the "door not closed" error pop up again after I close it.

In addition, their floodlight cam *seems* like a great idea, but to this day still is not capable of being mounted on a horizontal surface, despite the fact that they are now offering a new(-ish?) updated version of the product. This means that I can't tip the camera up far enough to get the view that I actually want. This is a known issue from Ring.

I've also had a few issues of cameras not catching action when I know something has occurred. For example, I have a video at 9 am where there's nothing at my gate, and then a video at 10 am where a package is sitting inside the gate, yet no recording of it being placed there.

So I'm considering Arlo. They don't have a direct replacement for the floodlight cam, so I'll just have to go back to a standard motion-sensing floodlight, but that also means I can mount the camera wherever I want not just where the floodlight is. They do have powered, battery, and solar options so there's a bit of a 1:1 there with what I have now.

I'm curious to know what cameras others are using, your pros/cons/would you recommend, etc. I'm fine with paying for a service (pretty sure I'm paying for Ring now).

User Tag List