Thread: Nosler Handgun Defense Bonded and Tipped Wound Ballistics Info?

Nosler Handgun Defense Bonded and Tipped Wound Ballistics Info?

Similar to my question about Browning BXP, I have the same questions about Nosler's Defense Handgun ammo. It's been out for a while, and for me has limited availability. I called them and the sales rep indicated that he didn't see either on the list of production runs, so supply seems to be based on whether your local stores keep it around or not. Apparently they were also having some issues with the polymer tip production in their tipped line that has delayed production further.

However, the rounds are both bonded 124gr rounds loaded in 9mm +P in Nosler brass. Nosler has some testing data in their catalog on the 124gr Bonded JHP (the untipped version) that shows relatively shallow penetration, but I'm not sure how much I can trust this data because some of my own testing of the Nosler Tipped rounds shows velocity and terminal performance quite different than what the Bonded JHP's have. There's not comparable testing data for me to compare on the Tipped rounds except some YouTube videos that have no information about calibration or the like, so it's barely useful.

Since Nosler produces the 64gr BSB round which is stellar, I've wanted to see how their attempt at a pistol round performed, but I can't get information from Nosler, and I can't find any good testing of these rounds anywhere else, either. Does anyone know how these rounds have performed in testing? Has anyone actually done any testing? I do find them to be exceptionally accurate relative to some other rounds I've tried.

Edit: One reason I find these rounds interesting is that the Tipped round is designed to have a profile more like a FMJ-RN, compared to, say, the Critical Duty, as well as using a hard, slick tip rather than the Hornady tip which I find to be a bit "sticky."
    Last edited by arcfide; 04-16-2017 at 09:32 PM.

User Tag List