Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the best deal in the AR world, currently?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    All good advice....But your 1911s are the tatas bruh.

I've been looking into a Tikka T3 pretty much because this forum.

Any particular shotgun you'd throw in there?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    If I may be so bold: LR has a chopped and worked A5 that's pretty sweet, but those are harder to come by and nobody works on them anymore. I would say it's tough to beat a Benelli M1/M2 with a 21" VR barrel. Choke and load variations make this a viable platform for anything from HD to clays to 3gun to hunting. Here's the way my last one was setup before I had to sell it due to financial reasons during a job transition. Will buy another as soon as I am able.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I would agree with many other posters here. FIRST, I would start with a good, solid bench rested position (not something field expedient), and good quality ammunition. If you're not certain of your rifle skills, get a known good rifle shooter to shoot it. If that doesn't turn your 6" M4gery into a 1-2" M4gery at 100 yards, you might have a questionable barrel. If it's all trigger, your known good shooter will let you know (I'm not a rifleman by any stretch, but I know a really BAD trigger when I meet one!)

Then I'd diverge. You want an HD long arm, and you want to shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards. Those two things don't NORMALLY come in the same package, though there are shooters out there who can use just about anything an punch pretty little groups at 100 yards. If you want to shoot tight 100-200 yard groups, get a bolt gun and put decent glass on it. If you want a capable HD rifle, stick with the AR and put a RDS on it.

Once you get enough time behind the AR, you'll have no trouble keeping things where you want them at 100-200 yards with an RDS. We used to iron and RDS zero our Mk18s and Mk16s at 50 yards, and that put us within 2" of POA pretty much anywhere from 25 yards - 200 yards (closer the sight offset became more of an issue) using either Mk262 or later Mk318 ammo. That's perfectly usable "dope" for a non-dedicated marksman (like me) to keep everything in the A zone out to 200 from a variety of shooting positions.

However, trying to chase sub MOA groups with an M4gery is likely to give you fits. A bolt gun with quality match ammo (preferably loads you roll yourself and tune to your rifle) will make 1 MOA at 100 yards a disappointment. I used to shoot consistent .5 MOA and smaller with my Steyr Mountain rifle in 7mm-08 using Leupold glass - and, again, I do NOT consider myself any kind of real marksman when it comes to rifle work. From what I'm hearing about the Tikka T3s, that's the same quality of platform - in fact, sounds like I need to pick one up!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Slight hijack, but I might have the opportunity to trade my Colt 6920 Magpul for a used Colt 6940. I've handled the 6940 and was surprised how much I liked it. I've heard the 6940's are supposed to be very accurate, and the short rail does not really bother me, but wonder if the trade would be worth it? Or should I just stay with what I have? Thoughts?
    I would trade because I like the 6940 better than the 6920 myself but that me. If you like it its still a Colt....

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    All good advice....But your 1911s are the tatas bruh.

I've been looking into a Tikka T3 pretty much because this forum.

Any particular shotgun you'd throw in there?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't pretend in any way, shape, or form to be a shotgun SME. The last time SOF sponsored the world 3-gun shoot in Vegas (in 2000) I ran my old A5.
    While I have a Benelli, and it is super soft shooting, and reliable, I am just not the right guy to ask, and I am not afraid to admit it.

Thanks for the Kudos about my crusty old 1911s!

There's a great post on AR15.com were the owner of Battlefield Vegas posts all kinds of info on gun breakage and the only shotgun that doesn't break is the Benelli M4. He said every other shotgun breaks so easily he doesn't bother repairing them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    If I may be so bold: LR has a chopped and worked A5 that's pretty sweet, but those are harder to come by and nobody works on them anymore. I would say it's tough to beat a Benelli M1/M2 with a 21" VR barrel. Choke and load variations make this a viable platform for anything from HD to clays to 3gun to hunting. Here's the way my last one was setup before I had to sell it due to financial reasons during a job transition. Will buy another as soon as I am able.

My Benelli M1 Super 90, bought new during the HK era, fed flawlessly. The stock design of that time period was a torture device, but that has been well-remedied by today's Comfortech stock. After 20+ years of pump-gunning, I recently returned to Benelli with the M2, with Comfortech stock. My aging eyes like the bold dimensions and wide notch of the barrel-mounted sights.

One impetus for buying this M2 was my upcoming road-block/barricade duty at the 2017 Stupid Bowl-related events. (Yes, I meant to type "Stupid.") I had bought the barrel pre-owned a few years earlier, and late last year bought a pre-owned sporting M2 to host the barrel, then bought fresh Federal Truball Deep Penetrator slugs. These slugs should perfrom much better against the metal of hijacked trucks than any 55-grain 223/5.56 JSP, our mandated patrol rifle cartridge.

I recently added a 21" vent-rib barrel, as recommended by ASH556, but have no trigger time with it, yet.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-22-2017 at 01:09 PM.

User Tag List