Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best deal in the AR world, currently?

If you were looking to buy your first AR, or if you're looking to add a new one to go with the one you have, I'd say get one of the Colts mentioned above.

If not, you already have a reliable AR, that isn't likely to be any more or less accurate than one of those Colts. You might take some time to do some checking the gun and tuning or replacing some parts.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....w-better!-quot

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Should I care about a freefloat MLoc or Kmod forend, a fancy stock or a pencil barrel?
    KeyMod has no future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    KeyMod has no future.
    Blasphemy!
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Keymod = Betamax.

MLOK is stronger and cheaper to produce.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31...apon-programs/

Which makes me wonder why Springfield put a Keymod rail on their Saint.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Probably Colt Combat Unit Carbine.
    If all of my guns were lost in a house fire, ect. and I had to start over, I'd buy a Colt 6960 CCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    This is were my money would go (and has gone):

Colt 6720 $820 with free shipping: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-A...e-p/ar6720.htm
    Attachment 15682

Colt 6920 OEM2 $750 with free shipping: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-O...e6920-oem2.htm
    Attachment 15683

If you don't mind a fixed front sight and a non-free floated barrel than the linked 6720 is an excellent gun. Add MagPul MOE SL hand guard and stock and it really changes the feel of this gun. Great upgrade for just a few bucks.

If you have the tools and ability to install the hand guard of your choice, than the OEM2...

What you would get is a gun that will be reliable and dependable. The accuracy of these guns is dependent on the skill of the shooter, the quality of the ammunition and assisted by the sighting system.

I have no first hand experience with the new 6960 CCU, but if I could justify a new AR, it's be on my short list.

I do have years of first hand experience with the 6920 and the 6720. Even with not having a free floated barrel, you'd be surprised at the level of accuracy that can be achieved with a 6920, when using appropriate ammunition and at the hands of someone who actually knows how to shoot.

Is the "upgrade" over what you currently own worth it to you? Only you can answer that. I know that I would bet my life on the 6920 and 6720, and have done so as an inter-city LEO carrying a sample of each for a period as a Patrol Rifle. I don't know that I would say the same about a PSA parts gun.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 04-17-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks for all the links. The Delton was purchased with the intent of being a use and learn low priced first AR, matched with the base model LMT lower as a upgrade plateform. It has been trouble free over the 2 years, maybe 1,500 to 2000 rounds I've used it. The trigger seems to be smoothing out, but it's still pretty gritty. My intention is to upgrade as I learn the best ways to do so. Thanks rob.s the M4carbine link is a wealth of information. A trigger upgrade seems like the best place to start. Again, everyone's links and suggestions on a trigger upgrades and optics are very helpful, thanks all.

My comment on the forend could have been phrased more clearly. For accuracy and functionality, I gather freefloat M-Loc rail would give me more consistent groups that the standard forgrip with a A2 front sight and a better way to attach a WML. I'm handy, but a factory built upper, built by Colt or Bravo Co. seems the best way to get a correctly built, quality BCG and installed barrel.

So to be clear, in terms of priorities for building an accurate rifle, is a good trigger first on the list? Then good sights or optics, and last a free float barrel, matched with the right ammo for the twist?

Of course I recongise that my skills are the most important factor in determining whether the round hits the target, but the threads on Army and Marine Corp rifle selection along with the statistical group analysis thread have made me wonder about the best, affordable way to create a mechanically accurate and reliable rifle.

This is not a duty gun, but it is my HD long gun and I'd like it to be a sound reliable tool. I also have the opportunity to hit steel out to 550 yards and I think it's really cool to hit steel at 400 to 550 yards with a 16in carbine and an Aimpoint.

edit. Thanks Beat Trash, you summed up all my thoughts more clearly than I could. I'm just going to by a Colt and get some more instruction.
    Last edited by Alembic; 04-17-2017 at 10:02 AM.

This is not a duty gun, but it is my HD long gun and I'd like it to be a sound reliable tool.
    Along these lines...

The true purpose of the so-called "HD long gun" that continues to gain in popularity since the sunsetting of the AWB (if no before) is more of security-blanket or peace of mind than it is any actual use-case. Given that, if you have doubts, then your current gun is not filling that role, since it's supposed to make you feel secure. In that case, I'd ditch it and get the one that makes you feel secure so that the gun can do it's job.

So to be clear, in terms of priorities for building an accurate rifle, is a good trigger first on the list? Then good sights or optics, and last a free float barrel, matched with the right ammo for the twist?
    In my opinion, no the trigger is not first. You have said that you like shooting the Aimpoint, so I'm going to assume you're wanting to stick with that? I ask because I think a good magnified optic is first on the list when shooting past 100 yards. Then ammo.

KeyMod has no future.
    That's not all....they'll also get you killed on the street!!
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List