Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best deal in the AR world, currently?

What's the best deal in the AR world, currently?

I'm pretty good with a pistol. Well much better than I used to be. For the first time in years I have access to a rifle range again and I have 100 and 200 yard berms I can use so I've been taking some time to get better with a rifle. All of my ARs have been frakenbuild guns on the cheap end. My first gun was a Stag upper on a Cav Lower; both parts have been sold since then. (I'm a short guy so a fixed stock was no fun.) My current gun is a Palmetto State Armory upper on a Surplus Arms and Ammo lower that I built in my living room. It's ok I suppose. I mean it's reliable and the accuracy is ok but it's nothing to write home about.

I'm shit with iron sights. I know I should work to get better at them but I'm wondering if it's kind of futile with my current gun and right now ARs are getting cheaper than they have been in a very very long time though so I'm thinking about two things. First is there any real benefit to getting a complete factory gun? And if there is what's the current best deal out there right now? By that I mean what's the best bang for the buck at around the $1000-ish price point. (Ruger? Colt? etc) Am I going to get a better gun than I have currently or is it going to be a marginal upgrade?
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 04-16-2017 at 09:18 PM.

You have a reliable gun so you don't want to do much to ruin that. What kind of accuracy are you looking for?

The gun can be a factor but what are you feeding it? When you say that you are not getting that great of accuracy, the first thing I would start with is good ammo. For me, I am thrilled if I get between 1-2" groups at 100 yards with M193 (55 FMJ) or M855 (62 green tip). Typically you have to bump up to something in the 68-77 grain match category to get good accuracy.

Finally, and most important, how well can you shoot? Are you resting on a bipod and using a rear bag for stability or shooting offhand? How is the trigger on your rifle?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Probably Colt Combat Unit Carbine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    This is were my money would go (and has gone):

Colt 6720 $820 with free shipping: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-A...e-p/ar6720.htm
    Attachment 15682

Colt 6920 OEM2 $750 with free shipping: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-O...e6920-oem2.htm
    Attachment 15683
    This ^^^. Price to value the Colt 6920 OEM models and the 6720 are the best deal going.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-16-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Unless you need something really specific, you are going to be hard pressed to beat a colt.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Another vote for the Colt OEM2.

My local LGS just dropped their price on M4 Colts from $850 to $700. plus tax. Background check included.

I don't know if it is a 6920, or a 6720 or what. Lower is marked M4. Has heavy barrel and generic furniture.

Should I care about a freefloat MLoc or Kmod forend, a fancy stock or a pencil barrel?

For me it's a range toy and a HD weapon. I've got a M2 aimpoint to put on it and plan to figure out an A2 front sight mount for a light, not at 6 o'clock...

Seems like I should buy it and shoot it.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Alembic; 04-16-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    My local LGS just dropped their price on M4 Colts from $850 to $700. plus tax. Background check included.

No, I don't know if it is a 6920 or otherwise, lower is marked M4. Has heavy barrel and generic furniture.

Should I care about a MLoc or Kmod or a pencil barrel?

Check the model number on the box. If is is 6721 it is good but has a 1/9 rather than a 1/7 twist - won't matter unless you want to shoot heavier bullets like 77 grain.

Seems like I sould.buy it and shoot it.

Thoughts?

I'll take a look at the box and see what model it really is.

With my, cough, choke... delton upper 1/9 twist... and a LMT Defender 2000 lower; using my EBAY purchased comp m2 I hit steel at 200m easy, and 400 with a little time, seems like a 1/7 would take 64 or
    70plus grain loads out to 600 easily.

I think about a freefloat, 18in barrel,1/7 twist for 600 yards, but I'm not sure it matters.

Seems I should just work the software and be happy with my hardware.
    Last edited by Alembic; 04-16-2017 at 11:31 PM.

http://www.brownells.com/manufacture...bLLC/index.htm
    If you move fast (like, in the next half hour), you can get a Geissele trigger for your current rifle on sale at Brownells (like the SSA). Depending on the barrel twist, get a box or two of IMI 77gr, and see how your current rifle shoots with the new trigger. If that is good enough you are all set. If not you might try a better upper, or get the Colt and put the Geissele in that.

Edit to add:

Upon reflection: As a paper puncher, the Colt may not be any more accurate than what you currently have. If you need a reliable duty rifle sure, get the Colt, but doesn't sound like what you are after, so it may not make you any happier. The fact it is factory complete doesn't matter.

In addition to a better trigger and ammo, an optic or better barrel or upper may be a cheaper alternative.

Speaking of optics, SWFA has some screaming deals through Tuesday, like this one:
    https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x24-tact...scope-kit.html

You can put it on a new rifle or upper later if necassary. Prices on those aren't going up anytime soon.
    Last edited by Soggy; 04-17-2017 at 12:25 AM.

User Tag List