Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greenhorn question: HK P2000 and P30

For me, the longer mag levers on the P30 dumps the mag under recoil. Granted, this is a rare issue, but I'm not the only one who has experienced it. This is likely very grip dependent. Also, the USP Compact mags feel less secure than the P2000, but I've never had an issue with the stock mag releases.

I also found the P30 to be very flippy in recoil--uncomfortably so for a 9mm. However, I don't notice this issue with the P2000, which I have found to be the most pleasant and flattest shooting between the P30, USP Compact, and P2000. This is also likely very subjective.

For me and my body type (5'10", 170 lbs, long legs/short torso, pretty straight up and down), the slight increase in grip length between the P30 vs. the P2000 makes a difference in concealment, particularly when carrying AIWB. I prefer guns that are as close to 5.00" in overall height (G19 sized), and of the guns on the market in this size range, I think the P2000 9mm is the best. On the other hand, the P30 seems unnecessarily long in the grip, while being too short in the barrel. The P30L may be a more natural balance, but I don't have any experience with one.

I wish the P2000 backstrap was similar to the 45c--as it is, there is a gap that is noticeable when handling the gun, but not a huge deal during live fire.

I also wish there were more sight options for the P2000. However, the Meprolight factory sights are serviceable, if not great, and the Trijicon "bright and tough" sights are pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the HD sights, but wish Ameriglo would make the Spartan Tactical sights for the P2000.

The P2000sk has a different shape to the trigger guard than the P2000sk, while the P30sk appears to have the same trigger guard as the P30, so holster compatibility may be better with the P30 guns.

My choice is the P2000, but I think it's a very personal decision, and unless you are one of the few that is affected by the difference in mag release size, it's probably a matter of personal opinion. If you can, try before you buy.

I'm an anomaly in that I prefer the bigger gun, whether it is HK, 1911, Sig and so on - even for carry. I am a husky fellow, however, and when carrying AIWB I can conceal all of the grips of those pistols. I agree with the comments to that the recoil is a smidge snappy but it certainly is something one could get used to and overcome. I had a USP compact many moons ago and now have the P30 lineup. I won't be getting rid of them as they all fill a certain roll.

LEM is peddled around here frequently and I drank the cool-aid. It's the best trigger on the P30 when you master it. I prefer it over the other triggers from the USP TDA series. And while 2 rounds in the mag probably isn't going to make THAT much of a differnce, it offers me a comforting factor. But that's all specific to me.

The P2000 can use P30 mags, with or without an X-grip spacer. In my mind it is a more flexible gun. For lots of people that extra half inch of grip on the P30 makes a difference. Maybe you can do it with some cover garments and not others. With the P2000, you can use the regular 13 round mags for less concealing garments, and the 15 rounders when appropriate.

Carrying a 15 round mag as your reload takes care of the pinch during reloading that some people mention. Non-issue if you use the 15 round mag, just like it's a non-issue if you use a 15 round mag in the P30.

The P2000 is a more flexible gun, IMO, especially considering you can carry it next to your skin without an undershirt (unless you're one of those sadomasochists that likes the feel of a cheese-grater on bare skin all day long......in that case, the P30 is your answer).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I carried a P2000 for three years while I was shooting a P30 for fun. I prefer the P2000 and I want to get another P2000v3 but currently overseas. I do like the V3 now and wish I could trade my P30v1 for a P30v3 but that is because I do not carry a LEM that much anymore. I went back to Glock 19 and Glock 26 for most my carry time.

The P30SK is a TOTALLY different critter... Why do most folks not admit this???

This smaller, easier-to-carry piece is much better for a daily concealed carry. And you can adapt it. If the issue 10 shot magazine is a bit too small for your hand, the +2 mag makes it just right for most normal sized hands. And standard 15 (or plus) extra mags have several floor plates that work quite well.

None of this works for everybody, of course. Some folks get that... others don't. I have been toting a P30SK for about six months now, after YEARS of HK45s and USPc pistols. It's a bit smaller, a bit lighter, and just as good a shooter.

For some reason, my sawed brain is hanging up good enough for me; the brain docs said I should have dropped a couple of months ago. No doubt it is coming... But I'm charging each day. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    For me, the longer mag levers on the P30 dumps the mag under recoil. Granted, this is a rare issue, but I'm not the only one who has experienced it.
    I'd be lying if I said that I can wrap my head around how this is possible, considering that the gun moves up in recoil while those levers need to be pushed down. Did you figure out how this happens, or it just happens?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I'm an anomaly in that I prefer the bigger gun...
    You're not alone, and P30 dimensions and proportions add to shootability. A lot of people don't like a slide that is relatively short in regards to a grip; not uncommon opinion that it should've been just P30L all by itself. I tested both a lot and don't own 30L anymore. I think P30's is a best setup for shooting. You get benefits of a full sized frame control, with more aggressive texture, and faster cycling of a shorter, lighter slide. Not unique to HK. A careful review of current Glock threads will show how many people add magwells to G19 these days to make grip longer. A number of people prefer Sig 320 in a full sized grip/short slide module.

I get that P2000 packs better for some people (no difference for me), but I like shooting P30 better.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    For some reason, my sawed brain is hanging up good enough for me; the brain docs said I should have dropped a couple of months ago. No doubt it is coming... But I'm charging each day. :-).
    We're glad to still have you here.

I had both. I preferred the P2000 for its size factor and, frankly, I shot it every bit as well as the P30. I still don't understand the concept of a shortish slide/barrel on a full size frame - think G19 slide on a G17 frame. I know that works for some folks, but not for me. If I were told I had to carry a P30 variant, I'd get the P30L and a good IWB holster. The P30 felt better in my hand, but that didn't translate to results on the range. The LEM triggers are equivalent in both, IMHO - at least close enough that I couldn't tell the difference. As others have rightly pointed out, with the P2000, your sight options are more limited, but, frankly, the P30 doesn't add THAT many more options - they're both "special snowflakes" in sights. I prefer the P30 mag release, the P2000's is fairly skimpy (can be replaced with a 45c release easily enough, but they you have to worry about tightly fitted kydex).

Either are likely going to be more accurate that 99.8% of shooters, and both are likely to be more reliable than nearly any other duty pistol.

P2000 Advocate Here....

I've owned and shot P30 and VP9, but sold them both.

Currently I own two HKs: P2000 in 9mm and .40, both are V1, the 9mm has Dawson black rear and F/O front, and the .40 currently has Trijicon HD's, but will likely change over to the same sight configuration as the 9. I shoot them as well or better than the larger pistols, they feel great in my hand and conceal as well as my G19...or better.

I particularly find the P2000 in .40 to be a very soft shooting pistol.

It's a matter of personal preferences...but in my view the P2000 still remains a viable option for carry and at the range.

Name:  Resized_20170120_123519_zpsvvlakqrk.jpg
Views: 4121
Size:  79.4 KB
    Last edited by walker2713; 04-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I'd be lying if I said that I can wrap my head around how this is possible, considering that the gun moves up in recoil while those levers need to be pushed down. Did you figure out how this happens, or it just happens?
    Can't say for sure, although my left index finger is a suspect, as it wraps around pretty close to the right-side mag release lever. It would happen several times each shooting session, and happened both with the P30 and a USP Compact with an extended mag release (putting the stock release back on made the problem go away). I probably could have figured it out and adjusted my grip to work around the issue, but I didn't really like the P30 outside of this issue, so I figured why bother.

I am definitely a rare case, but I did google the issue when I had the P30, and found a few other users that reported the same problem.

User Tag List