Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Upgrade" to Gen 4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    addressing the original question: Did Glock get that (is it random?) brass to the face issue worked out of the Gen 4 19's? I definitely prefer the 4's due to the same aforementioned baby hands issue, but I shoot a 23 or 27 (yep, love me some .40). If you like the feel of the 3 and want a better shooter, maybe get an aftermarket barrel? Should be quite a bit cheaper and definitely capable of tighter groups.
    No, they did'nt get the BTF issue fixed on the gen4's I have 2 gen 4 g19's both needed an Apex extractor, and in the case of the last g19 I bought, even that did'nt help much. I know enough not to bother Glock about it as they will do little to fix it. This is why I'm so interested in the CZ P-10c, same size as g19, NO BTF.....
    Last edited by ralph; 04-16-2017 at 09:13 AM.

I have both. I'm not sold on one over the other, even after having taken classes with both. I like the gen4 mag release although the Vickers helps the gen3 noticeably for me. I have smaller hands and loved the theory of running the gen4 without the backstrap in place. Actual practice showed I needed the beaver tail on a gen4 to keep from leaving meat in the rear of the slide. Never an issue with a gen3 for me. Removes any trigger reach advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I have one Gen4 that I won from GSSF, a G22-I'm pleased with it. My others are all Gen 3 guns-G17, G19, G21, G34. They are all excellent guns, although I seem to struggle a bit more with the large-gripped G21. All are exceptionally reliable, accurate and are tuned using OEM Glock parts.

While I think the issues with the Gen4s have been sorted out (and I've had none with my Gen4 G22, other than it tending to shoot to the left, resolved by sight drifting), I really don't feel there's any compelling reason to switch out a Gen 3 for a Gen4. That's not to say that the're aren't genuine improvements with the Gen4, just that the Gen 3 guns are very good in their own right-and well proven.

Best, Jon

Gen 4 was a game changer for me as far as the G19 (and 23). I always owned a 19 of some version but never felt like I shot the 19 as well as the 26 or 17. I bought a Gen 4 19 in August of 2010 and it is still trucking along like a champ. I ditched all my Gen 3s and replaced them with Gen 4s. I prefer the grip texture and the mag release size to the Gen 3. That said I owned earlier generations of 9mm Glocks for 20 years prior to the Gen 4 with no issues.

Site Supporter
    All of my 9mm Glocks are Gen 2 or 2.5 in the case of my G26. My personal .40s are Gen 2 G23, Gen 2.5 G27 and G22 Gen 3. I was finally issued a Gen 4 G23 last fall and have over a thousand rounds through it. It seems to fit my small hands better without any backstrap installed. Unfortunately, I have had about ten BTF incidents with it, mostly with my service round equivalent handloads and more importantly, two with my issue Ranger T ammo. Amazingly, it shoots dead on with the rear sight properly centered on the slide. All of my 9s are drifted slightly to the right. I am not inclined to trade anything for any other Gen 4 Glocks at this time. The M series is what I may want to upgrade to at a later date in the G19, due to the lack of finger grooves and the ambidextrous capability, since I am training more with my weak hand as of late.
    Our sister county PD has Gen 4 G22 service guns and they are very pleased with them. If a Gen 4 really floats your boat, I would lean more toward the full size versions.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    All of my 9mm Glocks are Gen 2 or 2.5 in the case of my G26. My personal .40s are Gen 2 G23, Gen 2.5 G27 and G22 Gen 3. I was finally issued a Gen 4 G23 last fall and have over a thousand rounds through it. It seems to fit my small hands better without any backstrap installed. Unfortunately, I have had about ten BTF incidents with it, mostly with my service round equivalent handloads and more importantly, two with my issue Ranger T ammo. Amazingly, it shoots dead on with the rear sight properly centered on the slide. All of my 9s are drifted slightly to the right. I am not inclined to trade anything for any other Gen 4 Glocks at this time. The M series is what I may want to upgrade to at a later date in the G19, due to the lack of finger grooves and the ambidextrous capability, since I am training more with my weak hand as of late.
    Our sister county PD has Gen 4 G22 service guns and they are very pleased with them. If a Gen 4 really floats your boat, I would lean more toward the full size versions.
    I dunno. Now I may have to buy a new one as I discovered last night when taking an image with my Gen 2 G19 that it had a crack in the bottom of the grip, which I promptly broke off since it was wobbling like a loose tooth.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 448
Size:  53.0 KB

Looked around on the webz last night afterward and have seen mention a handful of times of the Gen 2 G19's specifically exhibiting this fracture.

Sheesh, you'd think it would last longer than 28+ years.

Yep, I think I'd better start hunting a replacement...

Here's the image that disclosed the crack which had gone unnoticed:

Last edited by blues; 04-17-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I dunno. Now I may have to buy a new one as I discovered last night when taking an image with my Gen 2 G19 that it had a crack in the bottom of the grip, which I promptly broke off since it was wobbling like a loose tooth.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 448
Size:  53.0 KB

Looked around on the webz last night afterward and have seen mention a handful of times of the Gen 2 G19's specifically exhibiting this fracture.

Sheesh, you'd think it would last longer than 28+ years.

Yep, I think I'd better start hunting a replacement...
    ERMAHGERD GLERKS ER TRERSH!!!

On a more serious note, I'd say you've gotten your money's worth. Get a replacement and put the old G19 on the wall as a decoration.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I would use some fine grit sand paper and smooth that chip out.

But I would definitely look for a new gun to replace that gen2 Glock 19. You need to buy a new gun right now. But you can not in good conscious sell off such a defective pistol to anyone, so you might as well hang onto it.

At least that's what I would be telling my wife...

All BS asside, to me, the little changes made to the gen4 guns over the gen3's combined to add enough of a difference to me that I greatly prefer them. I am waiting for my agency's 17M and 19M T&E's to show up so that I can go out an satisfy my curiosity. I am also interested to see if a Gen5 will be announced at the NRA show. But if I had to ride out my retirement years with Gen4 Glock 19's and 26's, I'd be ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    ERMAHGERD GLERKS ER TRERSH!!!

On a more serious note, I'd say you've gotten your money's worth. Get a replacement and put the old G19 on the wall as a decoration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I would use some fine grit sand paper and smooth that chip out.

But I would definitely look for a new gun to replace that gen2 Glock 19. You need to buy a new gun right now. But you can not in good conscious sell off such a defective pistol to anyone, so you might as well hang onto it.

At least that's what I would be telling my wife...

All BS asside, to me, the little changes made to the gen4 guns over the gen3's combined to add enough of a difference to me that I greatly prefer them. I am waiting for my agency's 17M and 19M T&E's to show up so that I can go out an satisfy my curiosity. I am also interested to see if a Gen5 will be announced at the NRA show. But if I had to ride out my retirement years with Gen4 Glock 19's and 26's, I'd be ok with that.
    Yeah, I'm feeling the pull. I've already had one blue label purchase this year...the Gen 4 G17 which I'm thrilled with.

I've got to figure out if I really want to purchase another G19 to replace this one...or a Gen 4 G26 to back up my Gen 2.5 which is what I'm slightly leaning toward at the moment.

I'm one of those who really loves the G26 for its concealability as well as the firepower and accuracy it possesses for its size. It also happens to be, imho, the perfect LEOSA travel gun for those pesky 10 round states.

Decisions, decisions.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yeah, I'm feeling the pull. I've already had one blue label purchase this year...the Gen 4 G17 which I'm thrilled with.

I've got to figure out if I really want to purchase another G19 to replace this one...or a Gen 4 G26 to back up my Gen 2.5 which is what I'm slightly leaning toward at the moment.

I'm one of those who really loves the G26 for its concealability as well as the firepower and accuracy it possesses for its size. It also happens to be, imho, the perfect LEOSA travel gun for those pesky 10 round states.

Decisions, decisions.
    I use the G27 as my out of state travel gun as well as the dirty yard work gun. Going into the crawlspace or doing dusty yard work with a J frame that I cannot open up and clean is not appealing to me.

User Tag List