Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Upgrade" to Gen 4 ?

"Upgrade" to Gen 4 ?

I am wondering if I would be stupid to look at trading in/selling my Gen 3 Glocks and getting Gen 4 Glocks.

My reasons for doing so are:

-Adjustable back straps. I tend to shoot the smaller frame sized Glocks (G19/26) to the left if I am not very mindful of my trigger finger placement. I don't do this with the larger framed Glocks. (G30/G21) I assume that if I installed the larger back straps on a smaller frame, I could get better trigger engagement.

-I like the magazine release on the Gen 4s a little better

-I actually liked the trigger on the one example of Gen 4 that I dry fired better than my Gen 3s. "Crisper".

-I have read that the Gen 4s are a little more accurate, I don't know if I could ever use that, but it would be a nice to have.

-I have the "itch" to get something new and this would be "new" without being as totally different as a M&P or Sig 320.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I would start with just trading one of my backup G19s and see where it goes from there. I have like 5 (maybe 6) of the things here or there.

Eventually, if I really like it, I would wholesale trade to all Gen 4s. However I don't want to waste the time or the money if it isn't worth it.

So what does the collective say?

I much prefer the Gen 4 to the 3. But unless you're strapped for cash, or the Gen3 is your only gun I'd suggest buying the new one and making sure it works before parting with the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I much prefer the Gen 4 to the 3. But unless you're strapped for cash, or the Gen3 is your only gun I'd suggest buying the new one and making sure it works before parting with the old one.
    Even if I have like 5 or 6 of the old ones?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I own both. I prefer 4th gen guns because I have small hands. I have not and would not sell my 3rd gens for 4th gen guns. The difference isn't substantial enough IMO, but I have chosen to purchase 4th gen FS and compact guns moving forward.

The accuracy difference is there but honestly not substantial enough at my level of skill to be noticeable.

The itch to buy something new is an internal conflict that only you can address. It's basically an urge to spend money. It will still be there if and when you trade in your 3rd gen guns for 4th gen ones. I'd choose accordingly.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-15-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Even if I have like 5 or 6 of the old ones?
    No - that's why I said only if it's your only gun or you're strapped for cash.

If you have 5-6 GEN3 G19s, then trading one or two for a GEN4 makes a lot of sense. I don't think you need to trade them all. There's enough parts and holster commonality between the GEN3 and GEN4 that I wouldn't feel the need to swap completely over to GEN4. There is also the possibility of the 19M/GEN5 on the horizon to consider before making a wholesale switch.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

What the... I just get off the phone with that enabler hubcap who's singing the praises of the 4th gen Glocks and now I've got to run into this thread. There's nowhere to hide.

Name:  56806c28e258840a553f2e08fd002e0f_they-died-for-their-country-lalala-i-cant-hear-you-meme_318-23.jpeg
Views: 1021
Size:  13.8 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What the... I just get off the phone with that enabler hubcap who's singing the praises of the 4th gen Glocks and now I've got to run into this thread. There's nowhere to hide.

Name:  56806c28e258840a553f2e08fd002e0f_they-died-for-their-country-lalala-i-cant-hear-you-meme_318-23.jpeg
Views: 1021
Size:  13.8 KB
    You should get a 19m when they're out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    If you have 5-6 GEN3 G19s, then trading one or two for a GEN4 makes a lot of sense. I don't think you need to trade them all. There's enough parts and holster commonality between the GEN3 and GEN4 that I wouldn't feel the need to swap completely over to GEN4. There is also the possibility of the 19M/GEN5 on the horizon to consider before making a wholesale switch.
    That is kind of what I was leaning towards.

So do you think the Gen 4 improvements are worth trying it at least?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You should get a 19m when they're out.

Sigh...with friends like these...

Name:  enemies.gif
Views: 1012
Size:  54.3 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List