Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browning BXP 9mm 147gr Wound Ballistics Information?

Shooting Browning's New Ammo at Range Day - The Truth About Guns

Coming this year to a dealer near you: Browning Ammunition. What? No. The ammo stays a nice, constant, shiny color. Browning is just the familiar name on the box. Well, not familiar at all for making ammunition. Winchester, on the other hand, is far from new to gun food, which is why Browning chose to partner with them in this endeavor.
    The hollow point is...odd.

CORRECTION: Missed these the first time.
    Clear gel (I know, I know) @ Browning BXP X Point 9mm 147 Gr Clear Gel Ammo Test Glock 26 - YouTube
    I don't know why they'd post it with music but no voice-over...
    Gel test Browning bxp x point 9mm 147 - YouTube
    And no real explanation of his "test", beyond "knox gelatin" and something between it and a milk jug full of (presumably) water.

There's also a video of a couple of chinbeards shooting melons, but that's even less scientific than the other two I linked to.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-16-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Thanks for those! Not a lot of info (especially since I usually use a 4" or greater barrel, and those barrels are beginning to get to the short side of things), but it's a lot better than nothing. These are apparently a Winchester made round produced exclusively for the Browning line of ammo.

Given the expansion that is shown in the videos it makes me wonder a bit whether these are bonded rounds or not?

Have you read the pinned threads in the ammo sub-forum? Is there a reason you would rather use "unicorns" than certified "GTG" defense rounds?
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Have you read the pinned threads in the ammo sub-forum? Is there a reason you would rather use "unicorns" than certified "GTG" defense rounds?
    Yes, I've read those pinned threads many, many times. They're a favorite read of mine. I don't necessarily feel a need to use these, but I do feel a desire to understand them a bit better. Call it a fascination. Additionally, for me, pretty much all ammo seems to be "unicorns" these days in terms of ready availability. It seems that I can't find a single source for a single type of ammo that I can rely on, and many of the most popular rounds, such as HST, PDX1, Ranger T, GDHPs, and even Golden Sabers, can be hard for me to readily find. The good rifle ammunition is even harder to find, and tends to be much more expensive. I'm interested in having a wider selection of ammo that might give me more flexibility for purchasing over time, since I've found I can't rely on easily being able to find whatever my favorite round might be.

Try the internet.
    Ammo Seek: In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies
    GunBot 9mm pistol ammo
    The best distributors will let you set alerts for when what you're looking for is in stock
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Try the internet.
    Ammo Seek: In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies
    GunBot 9mm pistol ammo
    The best distributors will let you set alerts for when what you're looking for is in stock
    I use those pretty regularly, but even then the ammo availability there is not high enough on some rounds to make me feel confident.

Edit: For example, I currently can't find any 64gr Winchester 5.56mm NATO available to Non-LEO/Military, and I think there is only one option, or there was only one, for the Federal variety. There's no RA9TA anywhere (I know, I know...). There are some 147gr offerings, such as the PDX1, but the Winchester stuff is very expensive. HST is currently kind of sort of available in various options, but I sometimes prefer to stay a little more towards the 18" of penetration side of things than the 12" side, and it's harder to find those types of rounds readily available. I also like 124gr +P rounds quite a bit simply because of how I find they shoot out of my guns compared to some of the 147gr rounds. I also tend to reload 124gr rounds more than I do 147gr and I shoot much more 124gr than I do 147gr. It all just adds up to me being able to usually able to find something on the "approved" list, but not to the degree that I'm confident I'll be able to get the types and varieties I like when I want them. So I'm always looking for new stuff, not only because I like to see how people update and change and how different designs actually work out in testing, but also in hopes of finding a wider variety of rounds that more closely match various possibilities.
    Last edited by arcfide; 04-16-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    Yes, I've read those pinned threads many, many times. They're a favorite read of mine. I don't necessarily feel a need to use these, but I do feel a desire to understand them a bit better. Call it a fascination. Additionally, for me, pretty much all ammo seems to be "unicorns" these days in terms of ready availability. It seems that I can't find a single source for a single type of ammo that I can rely on, and many of the most popular rounds, such as HST, PDX1, Ranger T, GDHPs, and even Golden Sabers, can be hard for me to readily find. The good rifle ammunition is even harder to find, and tends to be much more expensive. I'm interested in having a wider selection of ammo that might give me more flexibility for purchasing over time, since I've found I can't rely on easily being able to find whatever my favorite round might be.
    www.sgammo.com or www.targetsportsusa.com

Buy in 50 round boxes or cases....it's not complicated.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Buy in 50 round boxes or cases....it's not complicated.
    Exactly. http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...9mm-luger-ammo

124gr +P GD and HST are in stock, but if you want to be a real world lab rat on new ammo, rock on. Even during the ammo panics I was able to get ammo that is on The List.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    124gr +P GD and HST are in stock, but if you want to be a real world lab rat on new ammo, rock on.
    Thanks. I don't exactly want to be a real world lab rat, but I certainly would like to see more tests on the new ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Well......

That is just darn right embarrassing.....

I guess I really need to get out more, I swear that I have never seen the stuff but then again I do all my ammo purchasing through the internet (for 8 more months at least).
    I was drawing a complete blank on seeing Browning ammo on the shelves too!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List