Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browning BXP 9mm 147gr Wound Ballistics Information?

Browning BXP 9mm 147gr Wound Ballistics Information?

Hello all. I've been reading through this Ammunition section with great enjoyment, as it seems to be a wonderful source of information regarding testing for various ammo types. Unfortunately, sometimes it's quite difficult to find ammunition, and not all the ammo out there can possibly be covered.

I have a few loads I'm wondering about but haven't seen. I'll post separate threads on each of them.

One of the sets of ammo that I can get locally here quite readily is the Browning BXP and Browning Target ammo. It is apparently produced by Winchester, and comes in a 147gr 9mm version. I've tried out the target loads and they're quite pleasant and reasonably accurate. A major attractive element to them is that they are relatively affordable (most other Winchester made ammunition seems to be exorbitantly expensive if I can even find it at all).

However, I can't find any information on how these rounds perform. Does anyone have some further information on these rounds?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Where are you located?

Browning Ammunition is not commonly seen in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Where are you located?

Browning Ammunition is not commonly seen in the US.
    ... It's literally EVERYWHERE in the US. Every major sporting goods store carries it. I can order cases of it from Davidson's and pick it up same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    ... It's literally EVERYWHERE in the US. Every major sporting goods store carries it. I can order cases of it from Davidson's and pick it up same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well......

That is just darn right embarrassing.....

I guess I really need to get out more, I swear that I have never seen the stuff but then again I do all my ammo purchasing through the internet (for 8 more months at least).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Well......

That is just darn right embarrassing.....

I guess I really need to get out more, I swear that I have never seen the stuff but then again I do all my ammo purchasing through the internet (for 8 more months at least).
    Don't feel bad........I just learned something new and never realized Browning now makes ammo. Or maybe I always pass it up because it's never on sale.

News to me as well. I have never seen it here in the Northwest, and I work at two gun shops lol.

Site Supporter
    Academy sports carries it but it is very pricey.

I live in the Middle Atlantic area and I've never heard of it before now or seen it. Maybe it's just getting established.

Ran across an odd piece of brass, strange shinny black case with some arabic script. No........that's the Browning "deer head".

Around here the big stores carry it readily, and the BPT target loading is a very soft shooting, reasonably accurate, and downright affordable package, especially given that the cases seem to be quite nice (black nickel, even for the target loads). The BXP is a 147gr Hollow Point design with an "X Point" design, which is meant to resist clogging and help with expansion, but it's not clear how they perform relative to the established brands. However, finding on the shelves versions of some of the more established stuff, especially any other Winchester made ammo or the like, at anything near an affordable rate is basically impossible. This stuff could be a reasonable alternative, but it seems based on the above responses that I'll need to do my own amateur ballistics testing in clear gel (since I don't have the ability to go pro and do real gel) to get a rough idea of how the stuff works.

User Tag List