Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Range rules: shooting vs. brass collecting

Site Supporter
    Brass rats who won't tape as they scuttle out with some gadget to pick up brass from those who don't want it - have been given the boot from a match.

One guy was at the 25 yard line, would shoot one bullet slow fire and then walk around to find the case.

Drove me nuts to be on the same range as him.

Shortly thereafter I bought some land for my own “I don’t want to be around anyone” range.

You guys should retire. Then you can go during the day weekdays when almost no one is there.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You guys should retire. Then you can go during the day weekdays when almost no one is there.
    Unless you live in the greater Phoenix, AZ area, where there are about half a million retirees hanging out at the shooting ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Yep, it's nice, I rarely see anyone.

I lay out canvas harbor freight paint sheets for my rifle and poly tarps for my pistol. Takes a little more time but I generally get all my brass back.

The disadvantage is that if I'm doing drills with movement, I have to go to the next tarp to shoot if I want to get my brass back without looking for it in the grass.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Unless you live in the greater Phoenix, AZ area, where there are about half a million retirees hanging out at the shooting ranges.
    Bastards!
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    This kind of thing is why I’m a big fan of my home range’s reservation policy. All ranges are booked online for 3 hour max blocks. That time is yours to do whatever you want. Keeps you from having people come fuck up your range when trying to shoot and you know if you drive all the way out there, the range will be open to do exactly what you want with it.

Just checked the SOP for one of the ranges where I'm a RSO, and there's no mention of collecting brass. So basically it's at the RSO's discretion. It's a members only club, usually not crowded, lots of long range bench rest guys so it's a pretty civil and professional place. Someone wants to go out front and pick up brass, they negotiate the timing with the other shooters. There usually isn't much at the end of the day, lots of bolt guns and people are tidy. Can't speak to competitions which have their own RSOs, or the occasional LEO training events which tend to leave tons of brass, in theory any of us RSOs with keys could go out there on a weekday when only RSOs can shoot and collect it, and I assume a few people do so. The SOP should be posted somewhere at www.lpgac.org

The other range is pistol only and open to the public, skill levels from mediocre to pretty good but more of the former. It's only open two evenings per week for two hours each time so there's some frantic brass salvage at times. The rules are simple: No picking up brass in front of the line until closing time. Behind the line, about half of the shooters pick up their own brass when they can do so safely, the rest we sweep up at the end of the night. The lead rangemaster sorts it in his spare time, sells some at fair prices and puts the money back into the range, and occasionally gives some to reloaders who are not in good financial situations. It amazes me how much brass we sweep up some nights though. I've seen only a couple of hoarders over the years and they were chased off pretty quickly when they tried to take brass from behind someone who reloads. We did just get one clarification: If the RSO makes a decision it stands for that night, any appeal is discussed at the next monthly board meeting. No one has tested that yet.

User Tag List