Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range rules: shooting vs. brass collecting

I have belonged to several ranges, and none of them gave preference to brass rats over shooters. In fact, only one let people pick up brass other than their own, but the one or two brass rats had the common decency to just pick up around the benches. Gather other shooters, complain loudly, threaten to leave your money and brass elsewhere, and hopefully the board will get it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Did he have ear pro? If not it's time to give home some more brass. Take that firing line up to where he's even or slightly behind you and make it rain brass. You may even consider a snub 357 just for this reason.
    i used to wannabe

Dudes--thanks for the support. I've been discussing this with our club president. I'll post again when I have some more info. If anyone finds anything in their club's rulebook, please post.

Meanwhile, brass rat stories are welcome here
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Well, It looks like I'm going to be in the minority here.

Is this a membership/private range? What are the rules as far as bay usage for anything else?

At my private, members only range you sign in with a date/time. If you are alone on the range, you own the range for 1 hour, regardless of what you are doing. Load work up, bench rest, plinking, what ever. The range is yours for 1 hour. After that, anyone can ask you to give up the range for their hour or share the range at THEIR discretion as it belongs to them for the next hour.

So, if the brass rat had signed in and he owned the range he would have his hour to collect brass and be perfectly justified in telling you to come back later. That is, at my range. YMMV
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Dudes--thanks for the support. I've been discussing this with our club president. I'll post again when I have some more info. If anyone finds anything in their club's rulebook, please post.

Meanwhile, brass rat stories are welcome here
    Do you need an actual copy of our Bylaws?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Well, It looks like I'm going to be in the minority here.

Is this a membership/private range? What are the rules as far as bay usage for anything else?

At my private, members only range you sign in with a date/time. If you are alone on the range, you own the range for 1 hour, regardless of what you are doing. Load work up, bench rest, plinking, what ever. The range is yours for 1 hour. After that, anyone can ask you to give up the range for their hour or share the range at THEIR discretion as it belongs to them for the next hour.

So, if the brass rat had signed in and he owned the range he would have his hour to collect brass and be perfectly justified in telling you to come back later. That is, at my range. YMMV
    We don't have any signup for the Action Range bays. First come, first served. In this case, there were other open bays, but the brass collector was in the bay we wanted to use (it's the one best suited for setting up USPSA type practice). My opinion is that shooting should always take priority over collecting range brass. This is what the RO's have enforced in the past, and that's the rule I'm trying to get the Board to adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Do you need an actual copy of our Bylaws?

Yes, please. Or a link.

My opinion is that shooting should always take priority over collecting range brass. This is what the RO's have enforced in the past, and that's the rule I'm trying to get the Board to adopt.
    And there's the rub. Reason that I can't be more helpful—along with many others here, I suspect—is that having a rule that shooting comes first over poaching brass seems laughable on the face of it. That's like a commercial kitchen in a popular restaurant having to formalize a rule stating that cooking orders for customers takes precedence over sourcing compost from the garbage cans and drain disposal unit during lunch and dinner rush. It's like, the ultimate "duh" moment... right up until it isn't, for some random person.

The two ranges I frequent most both state that nobody can be forward of the line without an employee's assistance, and one has a prominent sign saying that shooters can pick up their own brass, but anyone picking up any other brass will be asked to leave; enforced by video surveillance.

Scavenging brass v training probably hasn't hit the radar at either place... yet...

On edit: I checked online for the bylaws of the ranges in my area that have them posted; no specific brass language. One idea that might be of use would be to tie brass scavenging into language around 'designated range clean up/maintenance days' if your range has them. If they don't have them, maybe it's time to implement something along those lines.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 04-15-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Yes, please. Or a link.
    I will work on it - it isn't stated on our website range rules but that doesn't have a complete list of our bylaws. There are signs all up around the range complex but it will probably be quicker for me to track down a copy of the laws than wait for my next vist.

I wish that I had more brass cased, Berdan primed 9mm FMJ on hand. The brass rats are welcome to the empties.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 04-15-2017 at 01:04 PM.

User Tag List